baumer

Deadpool 2 (2018)

Grade it  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Quite far from the magic of the first one imo, too much convoluted story with a lot of it (if not all ?) just useless you know there will be a everything back to normal bbq moment a la Simpson even if they try very hard to invent/sell some stake.

Lot of strongest element of the first movie are just underused here, and the movie accuse it with the staring someone that does not like sharing the spotlight, did seem a bit true.

Always liked Reynold voice / voice acting and again he is really good in this, some of the jokes were really just saying reference without a comedic element to them, people in the crowd laugh to show they get them but many felt flat.

Lot of money here, lot of action/location, I think that did hurt the movie quite a bit for me, they were not that good and usually pointless fight involving 2 invincible being clearly loosing their time. The being lucky action sequence being a nice original moments too.

The bad guys were just ridiculously way too much bad guys and boring (maybe that the parody of the genre and the point ?).

The movie high were really high, the legs, when the taxi driver guy was there, the generic, the credit sequence, some lines (isn't that Canada ?), but it was a difficult flow storywise, felt overlong, lot of the exposition was incredibly lazy, lot of the movie was incredibly lazy, like if it was reworked a lot and filled with really cheap to do narration to fill the gap.

Wow. I guess I'm one of many few, cause I saw this last night.........and I really didn't like it. Like, at all.

I loved the first one. The first one had a great pace, plot was done well, the mix of humor/action but also humor/sadder events was well mixed and I bought both sides. I could laugh my ass off, but when the first Deadpool wanted to be somewhat serious I still felt those moments too. In this one, the humor just didn't land for me. I think it doesn't help losing Vanessa's character either, as I felt she was a big part in the first movie (not so much just because she's Wade's love life, but more so her character herself was fun and worked well with Wade's). Her death in the beginning of the movie really kind of took me out of it for a bit as I wasn't expecting it. Fine, I can get over that somewhat. However, I felt like even Deadpool 2 didn't take the weight of her death more seriously. Wade was like, a bit depressed and tried to blow himself up, but it seemed like he got over her death rather quickly. When we saw Wade in the first one before he met Vanessa, he was a much different person (still somewhat an asshole), more to himself and reserved. I would of thought Wade would of reverted to that part of him after her death. Instead, we get him acting like he's over it with the one liners back at the Xmen mansion (whatever it's called) and from there it's like.......the film just moves on and that's it? 

The little kid, eh......sorry but I didn't really buy his character either. It wasn't as if the actor was bad or anything, he was okay. I just didn't buy into him, I'm not sure what it is but something about him felt off, and even more so when I guess when you think about it, Deadpool 2's biggest threat end's up being.......a little boy? Weak, I know where the film was wanting to go but it still felt weak to me. I would of preferred they just kept Cable as the bad guy. The suppose "Villans" in this (because really, this film actually almost doesn't have a real villain) are weak compared to the first one, at the first one there were actual threats to Wade and to others. 

The pacing in this one was alright, story wise I felt the plot/story was a bit all over the place. Things kind of just happen and you go from place to place, it didn't feel as organized as the first one.

Overall, wow......I was just really taken aback at how much I really didn't like this. Such a shame cause I went in with average expectations, wasn't expecting it to be better than the first, and I walked out just completely like.... "what the fuck was that?" 

I'd give it a very very very low C- (I actually in my heart want to give it a D, but something in me just can't........yet), 5.4/10, 70/100

• Like 4

I guess I gotta be on the negative train too and it's such a bummer because I liked the first one so much (watched it again last night ant I still really like it). Reynolds is great as Deadpool, which was expected. He IS Deadpool in the same way Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man and Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman. Domino was the MVP. Every scene she was in was great. Some of the action beats and lines/jokes were great too. 

Now the negatives. The plot of this felt like they crammed a lot of story beats into one film that would've worked better in another sequel, like what happened with Kingsman 2. The Vanessa dying/Wilderpeople Kid/Cable stuff felt like enough. I feel like the X-Force stuff didn't need to be in here. Speaking of Wilderpeople Kid, boy I didn't like that character at all. The Looper-like aspect didn't work. Brolin looked like he was sleepwalking through as Cable. I can't believe this is the same guy who just knocked it out of the park as Thanos in Infinity War just a few weeks ago. Also, Juggernaut was a waste, though he had a better showing in this film than he did in X-Men 3.

The positives outweigh the negatives a bit, but I'm still bummed I didn't like this more. I'll probably end up forgetting this movie by the end of the summer, unless this summer is a wash.

6.5/10

• Like 1

I saw it and liked it. I felt betrayed that so many websites were asking what Domeno's power is, and once I see the film I thought of that like a spoiler, and not so much a question. No one flagged that, and it ruined a piece of the film for me. Seeing the demise of his team was an unexpected treat. The scene in the tree shredder with acid will stick with me for a while. Unfortunately so will the baby Deadpool genitalia that flashed on the screen. Those jokes were off color. 

Cable came too quickly to be a nice guy, even putting up with DPs jokes. tolerating being called a racist etc... It was too convenient. This Is (conveniently) a family film, and I hope DP will go after hitler in the next film. Steel a plot line out of the Misfits maybe. The battle against that big Ram dude in the end was too quick, and we barely got to see the teen lady's powers. That needed more. 

I liked the credit scenes, and the R rated soundtrack (the first ever?) was there for us when there was no scene at the Very very end.  

I'm surprised by this reaction. I went into it cautiously optimistic; the trailers were fine, the first movie was solid but I'm of the mind its freshness kind of made it feel better than it actually was. It's a constant risk with this character to get sucked into the one-liners and profanity and end up writing a big long meme instead of a film. 

But you know, I loved it. It took everything that I liked about the first movie and made it better, and my first impression is that it's my favorite non-Logan superhero movie in a very long time. There were some misses (most notably the dubstep bit, which really didn't need to be revisited at least three times), but by and large the movie was funnier than the first. The action was significantly better, packed with so much creative, brutal violence I imagine if I see it again there will be plenty I missed. And what really puts it over the top is the damndest thing: for all the winks at the audience, preposterous humor, and meta commentary, the story carries a strong emotional weight that's been absent from every corporate universe bullshit blockbuster from the past ten years. Not every single emotional beat works; I didn't terribly care about Cable's already dead family or Russell for much of the movie (I half expected it to be building to a punchline where Wade goes "fuck it, kill him").

But the important elements did make me care: I cared about Wade and Vanessa (the first movie established that), I cared about Wade's pain and desire to die, i cared about his reunion with Vanessa the end and they even got me caring about Russell by the end. There are definitely conventional aspects of film here and there that can be criticized like the weird pacing of the story, but when everything works on as many levels as they did here, who cares? 

• Like 2

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I'm totally into the X-Force we've got set up--Colossus, Cable, Yukioh, Negasonic, Domino, I want to see more of all of these people. That's a movie I'll pay to see. 

As an aside, my biggest nitpick is actually that no self-aware mention was made of the dozens upon dozens of civilians who were absolutely violently killed during the big truck setpiece near the end. 

Loved it! Almost close to the first part. 

Liked all the pop cultural references they were pretty much apt and very funny :D Action looks bigger in this compared to first. But one thing which stood out was comedy which was superior to first part! 

Deadpool 2 has emotional moments but with a pinch of humour in those which doesn't break the impact or the flow of the scenes.  

Cast was amazing every single character stood out but i couldn't believe that Cable turned out to be not so villainy! But nevertheless Marvel shines brightly delivering its 2nd best movie of the year till date (After AIW). 

One of the best family movies this year. Period.

I hope Deadpool 3 is on! This character is fucking amazing, he simply charms everyone :D 

8.5/10

• Like 1

Just as profane and violent as the first movie but I thought this was a step down since the jokes don't land as often and the freshness is gone. Still, Ryan Reynolds continues to prove he was born for this role, and the delightfully sardonic nature of these movies makes them distinctive and assures that no one will ever mistake them for an MCU flick. B

Best parts: the blink-and-you'll-miss-it Brad Pitt cameo and the end credits scene.

• Like 2

This is the most indifferent I've felt towards a CBM in a long time. The humor rarely landed for me outside of a few jokes (I was the only one to laugh at the box office joke lmao), and the plot doesn't have the sweet simplicity of the first. Bigger isn't always better! 7/10 | B-

I liked it, but not as much the first one. Some of the humor didn’t work for me and a lot of the emotional stuff just had me rolling my eyes. Vanessa and Wade stuff was great, that emotional connection I could buy. Even the Collosus and Deadpool connection and the X-Men’s attempt to help him worked. But the kid and Wade stuff didn’t work imo. I understand it stems from him and Vanessa wanting a kid, but maybe it moved too fast for me. As much as I loved him in Hunt for the Wilderpeople, didn’t like Julian’s character in this at all. I hope he’s improved upon in X-Force. Cable was okay. Domino was the MVP in this, can’t wait to see more of her. Her power is awesome and she looked amazing. 

A lot of references and many I got, but some just flew over my head and hindered my enjoyment of the movie. It was no big deal if no one else got it, but it feels weird when some people in the crowd are laughing and I was confused as to why. The first half seemed very unfocused, but the 2nd half was really good. Best laughs were during the X-Force deaths, Brown Panther, baby Deadpool legs, and the 2nd mid-credit scene (almost slid off my seat on that one lol). 

Overall, a step down from the first one, which felt like such a breath of fresh air. I do get that it had to do the same as the first, but on a bigger scale. I just wish the emotional stuff had landed better for me, especially since the comedy can be hit or miss. The first was memorable and while I enjoyed this, it’s definitely one of the more forgettable CBMs I’ve watched. B, 8/10

The fridging in the 1st act annoyed me. Forget the politics, it became a trite plot device in the first place for a reason: its when writers lack the imagination to tell a story otherwise. (Weirdly for a movie that gladly lampshades "lazy writing", they don't do that for the laziest thing they did.) And why was it done? All so they could have him stick with that kid and I kept thinking....no you could've done a lot of that without doing the fridging. 

I mean I liked that bit when Deadpool just executes the orderly when he learned about that abuse, and that works within his character as established in the first movie. He's not a hero in the traditional superhero movie sense while in this narrative he ends up trying to be in his own fashion. Fight Cable? Because (duh) this cyborg tough guy wants to kill "a kid!" and he aint down for that. Or even that ending when he effectively is committing suicide to (1) save a kid and (2) maybe stop him from going supervillain....

I get the sense that when DEADPOOL was written all those years ago, they didn't think about the character in terms of long term creative booking because quite frankly they didn't know whether this damn thing would ever get greenlighted or not in the first place (it was as we all know in development hell for several years) so hey, hero and his girl get back together one big happy ending...oh shit, now we gotta write a sequel. And she might be an albatross to what we want to do. 

Reminds me of BACK TO THE FUTURE, written as a one-off because what sequel would you do on this, pffft right? Then BTTF made a fortune, sequels became a thing and Zemeckis/Gale realized yeah if they were planning sequels from the get-go, they would've have had Jennifer go off with Marty/Doc Brown in that DeLorean into the future at the end of BTTF. Which fine OK, sometimes you write yourselves into a corner you gotta escape from and sometimes its ugly getting out. (Though when I rewatched those movies awhile back, I thought you know they missed an interesting potentially creative opportunity there. I mean dear lord DOCTOR WHO ran for many years with the Doctor traveling around time with more than one companion and made it work....)

EDIT - well crap, I forgot to rate this thing. 3 1/2 stars out of 5, same rating as first movie even if the pacing is a lot patchier here (especially in that clearly tinkered in post 1st half) and the jokes are rapid fire with lots of gags landing like a dud...but enough do to make me recommend it. I don't love these movies but they do amuse me. 

Edited by RRA
  • Like 1

About my only nitpick of the film is that Negasonic and Yukio didn't have more screentime. They both looked great, oozed personality and chemistry, but they played supporting roles in just a few scenes.

(The fridging was almost a nitpick, but I think they played it well, first by lampshading it in the opening credits, then by having it be a focus, character-wise for Vanessa, and finally by retconning it out in the mid-credits scene. Though I suppose it would have been nice if Vanessa took up the Copycat mantle. Oh, well, maybe in X-Force.)

• Like 3

On 5/16/2018 at 8:33 PM, chasmmi said:

But that Juggernaut song right at the end of the credits :)

That was used in the film though... dont need to wait for credits. I was laughing at the music during the film but no one else was, then they laughed in the credits... not sure why anyone else couldn't hear it in the film? Maybe they were too invested to notice the music.

• Haha 1

I enjoyed it. I liked the first one but this is a sequel that I feel outdoes it. I didn’t love the first though, but as a comics fan I know what Deadpool is and what to expect. Anything less would not be doing him justice so some will love some will hate. I wasn’t sure how they could follow up what really was a kindve crazy love story and maybe it’s being impressed with how they handled it that wins points here. Cable was awesome and as crazy as he is in the comics. Collosus and Negasonic were great here again. Loved Domino. And was shocked and delighted to see Juggs, though I somehow managed to avoid previews for it. Negasonica Gf while cute is barely seen in action. The new kid is a riot and his arc is really well handled. As a Bond fan I really enjoyed the post opening intro. Still I only watched Deadpool for the second time right before seeing this. It’s not the type of movie I’d watch multiple times either. It’s B+ territory to me-bring on Xforce

11 hours ago, Domino Roc said:

About my only nitpick of the film is that Negasonic and Yukio didn't have more screentime. They both looked great, oozed personality and chemistry, but they played supporting roles in just a few scenes.

(The fridging was almost a nitpick, but I think they played it well, first by lampshading it in the opening credits, then by having it be a focus, character-wise for Vanessa, and finally by retconning it out in the mid-credits scene. Though I suppose it would have been nice if Vanessa took up the Copycat mantle. Oh, well, maybe in X-Force.)

What does fridging mean?  You're the second person to use that term.  I've never heard of it.

Never mind, just found it.....weird I've never heard this term before now.

Let's define some terms. "Fridging" (Short for "Women in Refrigerators") Refers to an act where the villain kills, maims, depowers, or rapes someone close to the hero in order to break the hero's spirit and attempt to make the hero chase him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, baumer said:

What does fridging mean?  You're the second person to use that term.  I've never heard of it.

Never mind, just found it.....weird I've never heard this term before now.

Let's define some terms. "Fridging" (Short for "Women in Refrigerators") Refers to an act where the villain kills, maims, depowers, or rapes someone close to the hero in order to break the hero's spirit and attempt to make the hero chase him.

It's pretty comics specific, I think, and has only started to transfer over to greater movie discussion because of the increased prevalence of CBMs.

Fun fact, it was originally coined by Gail Simone, before she became a big name as a comics writer. (One of her early jobs was when she had a long run on Deadpool, in fact.) It's specifically a reference to an incident in Green Lantern. Kyle Rayner (GL at the time) came home to find that the supervillain Major Force had killed his girlfriend Alexandria DeWitt and stuffed her body in the refrigerator of their apartment:

WomaninRefrigerator.jpg

What's interesting about the image is that it was originally done with the door opened wider, but was closed a bit in editing, so as not to be so gruesome. Ironically, this gave the impression that DeWitt had been hacked into pieces by Major Force instead of just sort of stuffed in there whole.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Background: I love comics(as longterm BOT users know). Deadpool is down the list of characters in print that I love. that being said....

Deadpool 1: A

Deadpool 2: B+

For me the film is not bad, it's just a victim of the sophomore slump. The film is a result of what I call "80s script retread"(think any Rocky, Rambo, Karate Kid, Police Academy etc series). In that it takes elements the Producers know we liked and then ramps it more but with less originality and flare. Also, they re-use characters that aren't needed in the followup because....contracts?

Pros: 

Reynolds/Deadpool - he does a spot on job once again even if some jokes felt forced this time around. This sequel for sure doesn't have the same type of "lightning in a bottle" feel for me as say GotG did to GotGv.2

Cable - I thought this was a very solid first ever turn at showcasing Nathan on the big screen. 

Colossus - enjoying the time line corrected big guy more and more.

Negasonic/Yukio - good reuse and addition here

Domino - Also a really good first appearance at showcasing Neena on the big screen. Nothing but good things.

Juggernaut - So glad I didn't follow the rumor mill or read reviews before hand because I got to guess and guess correctly that he was in play during the initial Icebox scenes. 

Meh:

Weasel - good enough reason to be in sequel, didn't find inclusion distracting

Firefist - got to be honest, I had to do a Wiki, this had been a total castaway type mutant for me. Totally forgot about him. The kid did a good job holding his own among in this cast but he didn't "wow" me. He served his plot purpose just good enough. 

Peter - could've served the Dopinder(DP1) role but so underused we'll never know.

Cons: 

Dopinder - totally not necessary for this film. He was a great moment in the first film and feels forced here because "hey, you all loved him the first time". In the first film he serves as that 'normal' connection for the audience. Here not so much. Ever see RED(Bruce Willis) then the sequel? There the girlfriend, Sarah (Mary-Louise Parker) serves as the normal odd person out, Willis(Frank) is trying to be normal having retired from the CIA game but is dragged back in by peers. The sequel has her in tow but is annoying, untrained and actually a problem at times. She has no character growth and is used for gags. Dopinder is Sarah in Deapool 2.

Blind Al - again, not needed and they just reused the "DP has to regrow" sequence for this characters appearance. 

Bedlam, Shatterstar, Vanisher, Zeitgeist - really, just killed them off? Their sole purpose was sight gags? Honestly I was only interested in pursing Bedlam and Shatterstar for future films so if you'd done your sight gags with Vanisher and Zeitgeist only I'd be less down. I mean really, two is all you'd have needed for that gag anyway.

VANESSA - she was going to be a Pro, until her death was undone. Deadpool isn't a character that leads a normal life when not in costume. He's not Reed Richards going home to a wife and kid. Her inclusion felt just right in the first Act, then in the credits the whole thing is undone. Her death is what sets the whole film in motion so...did any of it really happen? Are all the deaths from earlier undone? Does Firefist become evil now and still kill Cable's family?

I still give it a good enough grade I feel with a 'B+' it was just a step down with the Cons being just minor enough, sans Vanessa, but they piled up for me.