ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

metacritic sample is way too small imo there usually a movie get 30-35 reviews only.

metacritic only includes top critics from well known publications

Rottentomatoes, for better and worse, includes everyone from top critics to some rando bloggers nobody has ever heard of

Rottentomatoes is the one people actually look at, nobody outside of film nerds knows what metacritic is

• Like 1

I'm seeing "overstuffed" or its equivalent a lot.  Sounds like the kind of story that should have been a 6-hour miniseries on Disney+ instead of trying to fit into a 2&1/2 hour movie.  But anyway... I also get the feeling most of these quoted web "critics" these days haven't seen too many real movies, even epic ones, like Lawrence of Arabia, on the big screen.  "Game-changing" is a really tired term.  ...Or it just means that these folks are finally noticing that the Marvel movie genre has become a bit stale.  

Edited by Macleod

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

metacritic only includes top critics from well known publications

Rottentomatoes, for better and worse, includes everyone from top critics to some rando bloggers nobody has ever heard of

Rottentomatoes is the one people actually look at, nobody outside of film nerds knows what metacritic is

that makes sense

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh my god it's just literally just a dozen reviews. Doomsaying is nuts on here geez.

I personally excited for the film but 5.5/10 top critics yeah it's a small sample size and will probably increase is simply not good for now and it may have to do alot more problems with the movie  than just  it being a "unique movie" alone...

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

This film probably had the least Feige input, I can bet on that. Chloe will deliver just wait.

I know blockbuster and indie filmmaking are two different beasts but Chloe's last 2 films were universally acclaimed and one of them won best picture, so I wouldn't put this muted critics response on her. she was probably held down by the script (which she only co-wrote) since exposition and underdeveloped characters are the main complaints.

Capture.PNG

Just a reminder that The Last Duel had a phenomenal rebound with reviews. Started with 67% on RT and low 6.something average almost flirting with 5 but ended with 85% and 7.3 average. This year had a number of RT roller-coasters. Wasn't Venom 2 flirting with certified fresh then with rotten and finally settled at 60%? 

It's too early. But one thing seems certain - Papa Feige's Oscah dream is over. :sadfleck:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

What? No.

give her another movie 

She'll keep making movies... But I'm happy to take bets that she won't be back directing for Marvel again.  I would have said that even before these reviews.  

The way some of these reviews are completely contradicting the next one the comes in is amazing.

Some saying its boring, others saying its the most interesting Marvel movie yet. Some saying it generic, others saying its a new side to Marvel etc

Have they all seen different movies or is it really the divisive and Mixed??, How will RT get a consensus to write out?

It is a MCU movie, it won't be Rotten no matter what.

Plus there is talks of diversity and inclusion, there will be some buffers in reviews.. the critics won't be so harsh.

But I think WoM will be mixed - average / poor WoM from G.A but many fans will say it is the best MCU film anf that the studio took risks etc..

Just now, Macleod said:

She'll keep making movies... But I'm happy to take bets that she won't be back directing for Marvel again.  I would have said that even before these reviews.  

Eh. Complaints are on the script level not the direction. If she wants to come back, she'll probably be back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

I know blockbuster and indie filmmaking are two different beasts but Chloe's last 2 films were universally acclaimed and one of them won best picture, so I wouldn't put this muted critics response on her. she was probably held down by the script (which she only co-wrote) since exposition and underdeveloped characters are the main complaints.

Capture.PNG

Ever heard of Ang Lee? Sometimes some directors (even great ones) struggle with the blockbuster template. It happens. (Hell Lee struggled again with that Will Smith movie.)

• Like 1