ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Now my comment about not jumping on the doom and gloom train notwithstanding, I'd be lying if I said that the soft review bounce wasn't noteworthy.  But the term I'd use is noteworthy, especially as it had a fairly strong embargo bounce.  

How much of the review bounce was already eaten by the embargo bounce just a few days before?

That being said... I'm not in love with its current pace against Black Widow ticket sales locally (I say pace coz a direct comp suffers a bit due to differing length of pre-sales).

Want to see a few more days of data before really baking in my thoughts, and they probably belong in the tracking thread and not here anyway.  But... Well, that's where my, concern is a bit of a strong word but I'll use it, is and not so much with the review bounce (or lack there of).

Genuinely, maybe there is just a lack of interest in Eternals.

The trailer didn’t really seem to grab people and now with the reactions, maybe people see this as one they can easily skip in theatres. The Marvel brand and some of the cast can only do so much. 

Also every time I go on Twitter people are just mocking everything about the Eternals. This film has a real uphill battle lol.

Just now, exomassey said:

Genuinely, maybe there is just a lack of interest in Eternals.

The trailer didn’t really seem to grab people and now with the reactions, maybe people see this as one they can easily skip in theatres. The Marvel brand and some of the cast can only do so much. 

Also every time I go on Twitter people are just mocking everything about the Eternals. This film has a real uphill battle lol.

if you really think that the audience were moking eternals , then you should see what happened with shang chi.......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, champsi said:

You do seem to be anxious for this to fail. Better bet this wont go rotten. Shang-Chi opened at 94RT and ended with 92RT. Also. The movie seems very divisive. It could go either way. Up or down. Or  just stay in the low 70s even. People here seem to just wanna focus on the bad. Just want to remind everyone that Joker is at 68RT. 59 Metacritic. 

Joker reviews bash on its writting and being a Scorcese movie wannabe. 

What do Eternals and Joker have in common? They are artsy movies. They are... very outside the box. Both bold and. ambitious. 

BUT. The audience received Joker really well actually. 

Eternals score could go to any direction. Its to divisive to predict

I do not want this film to fail. I’m a Marvel fan!

It probably won’t go rotten but I’m just saying as more critics share their reviews, they won’t be as easy to impress as the ones who attended the premiere.

Maybe it is just divisive. Marvel doing something outside their ‘formula’ can only be a good thing for the future.

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

if you really think that the audience were moking eternals , then you should see what happened with shang chi.......

It just seems for some reason that people want to see this movie fail.

(Mainly Film Twitter lol)

Edited by exomassey

Just the fact that Black Widow has a 80 RT???? 

Im 1000% sure Eternals is a much better movie. The only reason Black Widow has this score is because it feels like MCU and its a safe movie, like most MCU. Theres no other reason this dreadful movie got those reviews. 

I dont know if people are open to non-MCU movies in the MCU but if anything, (if it goes wrong) this will just make Feige go always safe and keep having the safe 80 or 90 RT critics score

13 minutes ago, champsi said:

Just the fact that Black Widow has a 80 RT???? 

Im 1000% sure Eternals is a much better movie.

I didn't like BLACK WIDOW very much and I would be surprised if I don't like ETERNALS more, but maybe we should see the movies before declaring which one is better than the other?

• Like 3

The bizarre hatred for Black Widow here is perplexing to me. So many users act as if it's an affront to God, but it's really just a fine, mildly amusing summer action title. If that's the movie that gets you so worked up and angry, you clearly have not seen too many bad movies.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

The bizarre hatred for Black Widow here is perplexing to me. So many users act as if it's an affront to God, but it's really just a fine, mildly amusing summer action title. If that's the movie that gets you so worked up and angry, you clearly have not seen too many bad movies.

Agreed, is far from the worst MCU movie.

I think it's hated because it should be released after CW and not now that seems pointless, and also the third act is very weak, which usually it's the part people remember the most.

Which is preventing me to think people will reject Eternals is exactly the fact that apparently the third act is by far the best thing of the movie, even if the first half drag indeed, ending very well will make people go easy on it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

It’s like for Captain Marvel too which I also don’t get. Tbh there’s worse MCU movies in my opinion than either. Both are better imho than the Spider-Man MCU films, Doctor Strange, Iron Man 2, the first two Thors, Civil War. Do I think there’s stuff that needed to be improved sure but both are amusing albeit fine movies like a lot of other MCU movies. Tbf like @ThomasNicole said most comes from timeframe, tone or the third act not holding up but let’s not pretend MCU movies haven’t had those problems before.

I don’t want to equate people disliking those movies cause of sexism because it belittles the movies and the work done by the creators but I think within the fanbase, some of it comes from that. I’m not saying that’s the case for this user in particular it’s just a fandom observation.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Excuse people for actually having standards 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

BW was disappointingly weak in the climax but quite good before that so overall that added up to decent for me. CM I thought was quite enjoyable the whole time, other than a couple slow patches at the beginning and the ending action was a highlight for me. For me CM was middle range MCU which is pretty good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Excuse people for actually having standards 

Well, I mean, if you decide on films based on standards and you want to give Disney money, then it's an easy call to skip Eternals and see Ron's Gone Wrong:)...

I don't see many folks on this thread deciding to use their theater going funds just based on standards...and if you don't, there's no need to get mad if a film is just average when you're willing to pay the same studio over and over for average and not pay for very good - the studio makes what you pay for:)...