ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

Sorry to be cynical but after 50 critics most of them well known (both geek and other) gave their verdict that the movie is low-tier Marvel (6.2 average is Dark World average), we suddenly have an influx of reviews that say things like "a masterpiece!", "all Oscars forever to Chloe!", "best Marvel movie since Black Panther!" (heh wonder why?). Sorry but I have to laugh. It doesn't sound honest. Like, these reactions literally say what Marvel wanted to hear when they were bragging about having a contender on their hands.

I don't think these reviews are going to change anything for the movie in that regard. Sure, average will go up, % will go up, but they can kiss Oscar goodbye. It's just hilarious that they are still trying, bless them. :rofl:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Sorry to be cynical but after 50 critics most of them well known (both geek and other) gave their verdict that the movie is low-tier Marvel, we suddenly have an influx of reviews that say things like "a masterpiece!", "give Eternals all the Oscars!", "best Marvel movie since Black Panther!" (heh wonder why?). Sorry but I have to laugh. It doesn't sound honest. Like, these reactions literally say what Marvel wanted to hear when they were bragging about having a contender on their hands.

I don't think these reviews are going to change anything for the movie. Sure, average will go up, % will go up, but they can kiss Oscar goodbye. It's just hilarious that they are still trying, bless them. :rofl:

These reviews are coming from last night. Bunch of screenings happened. 

Stop painting this as you want it to be painted. The movie is going to be divisive. Thats for sure. And these new reviews feel honest to me. Its highly likely that went with expectations all over the place because of 1st reviews. 

And a really small number even mention Oscars. I have like 15 with me from last night and maybe 2-3 max mention Oscars. 

Your comment is really pathetic and full of hate and conspiracy behind it. 

Lol. There is no veredict. Maybe with movies like Shang-Chi or Black Widow (which only got 80% because its a safe MCU play) because they are just another piece of the puzzle while Eternals is almost a whole puzzle itself. There is no veredict or consensus in a movie like this. I mean, there is 1 consensus. Is that its going to be divisive

Edited by champsi

Looking at a few more reviews, I think this one will go Rotten. Might hover around 60% for a while but honestly, things aren’t looking great. 

One of the main issues that seems to come up with critics is the length and pacing. Seems like this movie just doesn’t really come together.

8 minutes ago, champsi said:

Your comment is really pathetic and full of hate and conspiracy behind it. 

Yeah a person who only has 12 posts on this forum and  all of them to hype Eternals knows that I'm full of hate and conspiracy from literaqlly one post that jokes about these critics coming to the movie's rescue. Like, the joke was made in previous pages ("cheques must have arrived"). 

I would say lighten up but I won't cause it's comedy gold watching you froth because this movie won't have 100% and 10/10. :hahaha:

11 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Is this for real? “Who cares what the actual aggregate ends up being — clearly the small subset from day 1 reflect the True Opinion of The Critics?” Real silly stuff.

Why did that comment hit such a nerve? Just yesterday, only silly people cared about RT or so a number of posters said. But now we have to take it seriously because new reviews say what we want to hear? LOL.

I don't care one way or the other. I just find it amusing how these fandom turnarounds about whether RT matters or not work like a clock. :lol:

• Sad 1

It seems that festival presentation went over better than the premiere and press screening in USA. For whatever reason (different atmosphere, different critics). Kind of the opposite of the Last Duel which didn't wow festival critics but did premiere/press ones. 

Also, the credits scene largely overshadowed the movie domestically. That was the news and buzz generator for days. I guess by the time the festival rolled out, everyone got over it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heroicpiglet said:

It's 74% now! This is more exciting than watching a cryptocoin price chart. 

Haha.

I know people clearly are invested in their narratives in this latest round of franchise wars and performing mental gymnastics, but I’m enjoying this score business as a spectator. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why did that comment hit such a nerve

Because it was ridiculous.   

RT doesn’t really matter much, either in terms of quality or box office, and if that was what you said it would be perfectly defensible. Instead you made a comment implying that RT did matter, but for some reason a very small selection of them should be taken as more genuine than the larger sample. Which is not really how these work. Like, at all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Because it was ridiculous.   

RT doesn’t really matter much, either in terms of quality or box office, and if that was what you said it would be perfectly defensible. Instead you made a comment implying that RT did matter, but for some reason a very small selection of them should be taken as more genuine than the larger sample. Which is not really how these work. Like, at all.

and that's strange because ridiculous is easy to brush off/ignore since it's ridiculous. It isn't the truth that hurts hence strong reactions to it due to 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance). Yet you and the 12 Posts Stan had an overblown reaction akin to stage 2. Waste of energy. 

@Finnick I don't consider pointing out that TDW was bad "shitting" on Marvel. In fact, it shows they've come a long way. Thor improved precisely because there was no sugarcoating about TDW problems. There's no shame in making a mistake, having the mistake pointed out, and improving on it. The problem is a pretense that everything is fine or better than it is. Cause how can you improve on something if you don't know you have to? They improved. Suicide Squad franchise improved. Etc. But they did because they knew what didn't work. Otherwise they would have repeated.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1