ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

44 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah very bad day. Added 23 reviews. 13 Fresh. 10 Rotten. (57%)

Reviewers who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 38/48 (79%)

SC - 34/36 (94%)

ET - 30/48 (62%)

Reviewers who reviewed all 3 MCU movies

SC - 34/36 (94%)

BW - 27/36 (75%)

ET - 24/36 (67%)

Publications who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 54/66 (82%)

ET - 45/66 (68%)

48 critics reviewed both BW and ET.

24 liked both movies.

6 liked ET but not BW.

14 liked BW but not ET.

4 didn't like both.

Yes. ET is ending in low 60s.

Lets see how much difference in % between critics and audiences this time. :sparta:
I think this movie is not only divisive among people in the one country but also between countries, the Italian reviews from the Rome Festival seem very positive, acorrding to @fabiopazzo2

Edited by Danhjpn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't think Eternals is going to bomb .

It's hard for a Marvel film to "bomb" commercially these days but I guess no more Black Knight spin-off, Eternals team gets reduced to side characters, and Papa Feige will come back and stick to the old Marvel formula in the next films?
  Personally, I don't think Eternals will get a "Thor treatment" because Thor was specifically chosen as one of Marvel's trinity (Thor - Cap - Iron Man) in the previous phase, so they had the patience to try to "fix" his solo films (from TDW to Ragnarok), while Eternals have a big team, it's either include all of them or reduce them all.

I wouldn't call Doctor Strange 1 "bomb" but due to its "lukewarm" reception from the fans, it's reported that Marvel has recruited a ton of other old and new characters to DS2, now it's more like Marvel's magician assemble film than Dr. Strange's solo film.

Edited by honeycookiez
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Lets see how much difference in % between critics and audiences this time. :sparta:
I think this movie is not only divisive among people in the one country but also between countries, the Italian reviews from the Rome Festival seem very positive, acorrding to @fabiopazzo2

Think this will do moderately well in europe . Which is why I think has a decent shot at 300m OS. 250m at worst. If OS goes below that then we'll will have a bomb or financial dissapointment with low sequel prospects.

10 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Think this will do moderately well in europe . Which is why I think has a decent shot at 300m OS. 250m at worst. If OS goes below that then we'll will have a bomb or financial dissapointment with low sequel prospects.

Asia has potential for this movie too but the problem is parts of it now being afftected by the restriction (the SEA countries), South Korea is the only one carrying Marvel movies in Asia now.    

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah very bad day. Added 23 reviews. 13 Fresh. 10 Rotten. (57%)

Reviewers who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 38/48 (79%)

SC - 34/36 (94%)

ET - 30/48 (62%)

Reviewers who reviewed all 3 MCU movies

SC - 34/36 (94%)

BW - 27/36 (75%)

ET - 24/36 (67%)

Publications who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 54/66 (82%)

ET - 45/66 (68%)

48 critics reviewed both BW and ET.

24 liked both movies.

6 liked ET but not BW.

14 liked BW but not ET.

4 didn't like both.

Yes. ET is ending in low 60s.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

5 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Asia has potential for this movie too but the problem is parts of it now being afftected by the restriction (the SEA countries), South Korea is the only one carrying Marvel movies in Asia now.    

Just don't see Asia liking this film that much  basing on its nature. Ofcorse it will open well in korea but I don't think WOM will be as good as the prior MCU which have fun ,action packed and light hearted. 

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Just don't see Asia liking this film that much  basing on its nature. Ofcorse it will open well in korea but I don't think WOM will be as good as the prior MCU which have fun ,action packed and light hearted. 

The asthetic and beautiful aspect of this movie can be a backup factor stimulating the WOM there tho. All previous MCU movies to be honest never be mentioned about those aspect.  

Feige wont drop the Eternals or make them side characters. Hes just going to have to adapt them to the formula and make more of the same with them. Within the Eternals mythos. Feige has plans with them for a while and they will happen, no matter how executed. 

The issues mentioned in negative reviews seem to be relative specific to this being a new entry and trying to introduce 10 unknowns. Something like a Black Knight+Sersi show or Ikaris and phastos popping up in avengers 5 or whatever wouldn’t really be affected, and Eternals 2 would likely be a pretty differently structured movie anyway so I doubt much effect there either. 

49 minutes ago, champsi said:

Feige wont drop the Eternals or make them side characters. Hes just going to have to adapt them to the formula and make more of the same with them. Within the Eternals mythos. Feige has plans with them for a while and they will happen, no matter how executed. 

Only time will tell but didn't Feige say they wouldn't attempt to make Eternals if Zhao didn't suggest making it at first
https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/18/marvel-wouldnt-have-attempted-eternals-without-chloe-zhao-15114266/

Which meant Eternals didn't exist in their original plan for phase 4 at all. They modified the schedule so Eternals could fit in with other characters in phase 4. It's not like everything is set in stone for them in the next 10 years or so, and the studio's machine is quite flexible. 
Needless to say, I like how Marvel is capable of making "zero to hero" constantly. Most of their characters are B-tier or C-tier superheroes, some heroes are just really goofy and silly (e.g. A Tree) but casual viewers still like it. And their brand is already established, there is no chance in hell one "bad film" would destroy an entire brand. So, in the worst scenario, if the general audience doesn't like Eternals, Marvel's next move will likely be adapting other superheroes and trying to figure out what to do with Eternals later. I don't think Eternals would get a big role if the general audience ends up rejecting these superheroes too.

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Domestically alone probably not, but it's also probably not this massive bomb everyone has decided it is.

Who’s predicting it’ll bomb, name one serious prediction from people here that it’d bomb. The worse reactions I’ve seen is maybe instead of thinking an 100m OW, it might be a $80m-$90m opener with not as solid legs. And even then, while it’s arguably too soon to say this is certain and yes CBMs with worse reviews have been more accessible, it’s not a stretch to see it have similar legs to them because of reviews hinting it may be a lot. No one here is saying or foaming at mouth for Eternals to flop, just because things have changed.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1