ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

53 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I just think it's safe to say that Marvel won't be taking any big risks with the formula again anytime soon.

I wonder if maybe Oscar winners and the MCU just doesn't mix. I seem to remember Brie Larson winning an Oscar and ending up being one of the weakest MCU leads.

Never hire talented directors ever again.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

I just think it's safe to say that Marvel won't be taking any big risks with the formula again anytime soon.

Worth reading the Marvel Studios book that just came out. Every major success their company has had was based in risk-- Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians, Civil War, Black Panther, list goes on. One of these was bound to not work as well. If anything the struggle Eternals seems to be facing is that they wanted to make a Chloe Zhao movie but Marvel's scripts and pre-viz'ed VFX are growing stale and not every filmmaker is going to integrate them as well.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Worth reading the Marvel Studios book that just came out. Every major success their company has had was based in risk-- Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians, Civil War, Black Panther, list goes on. One of these was bound to not work as well. If anything the struggle Eternals seems to be facing is that they wanted to make a Chloe Zhao movie but Marvel's scripts and pre-viz'ed VFX are growing stale and not every filmmaker is going to integrate them as well.

Whats the name of that book?

17 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Rotten MCU movie is not a good look at all and very damaging for MCU.

Who would have thought Eternals will be the first rotten. 

You remember a Spiderman movie with Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield is coming next month right?

I'm not even that excited about SM but people will loved it. It will take way more than a movie with 10 who characters to damage MCU.

Anyway, I want to echo what a couple of other folks have said and add some of my own thoughts.

Making movies is HARD y'all.  If it's a minor miracle that any film comes out good given the myriad moving parts involved then what the MCU has done the last few years (or decade plus if one allows a straight run from IM1) is FUCKING UNPRECEDENTED.  We're talking god level of miracles here.

Sooner or later a film would come along that just didn't work for a large enough group of folks.  We're still in the initial stages of rollout, so who knows what the consensus will be (if there is ever is such a thing as a consensus) among the GA.  But sometimes things just don't come together in the editing room or on the shoot despite the best of plans. 

Not that I would have first hand experience with such disappointments.  Oh no.  *cough*

Now the good news is, is that this film doesn't seem to be eliciting harsh negative emotions to it, which can lead to... problems down the line.  Again, not that I would have any experience with that sort of thing in any of the properties I follow.  *starts coughing enough to cough up a lung*

If there is a slight cause for concern, it's not so much reception to this movie as the worst I think will happen is dealing with all of the anti-MCU folks out there who have been waiting years to pounce.  They are gonna be ultra annoying, but at worst they're still ignorable (as always, one can just say "Scoreboard" and go about your day).

No, the place for concern might be in worrying if Feige and co are starting to spread themselves a bit too thin in their massive ramp-up of content.  The 'rona makes this a bit difficult to really judge, given all of the calendar shuffling, but I would note that just this year in the Disney MCU we've had:

Wandavision

Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Black Widow

Loki

Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings

Eternals

Hawkeye

With a ton more in production right now, plus whatever attention was given to Sony's No Way Home and probably to a much more minor degree Sony's Let There Be Carnage.

That's a lot projects to keep an eye on and make sure there is a consistent level of quality.  Now this really is too soon to say.  Like to an absurd degree.  But if I were to be concerned, it's not about audience reception to Eternals or the fallout from this movie, as I would about overall quality control.

Then again, a simple law of averages says that even if one had the absolute best level of quality control, if one pumps out enough projects, one or two aren't gonna click.  Again, because... Making Movies is HARD.  Even if Kevin Feige made people forget that the last few years.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Well there was a lot of hype going into Endgame. And then there was the whole "first female Marvel hero" thing.

That speaks more about the MCU's bad handling of its female characters than anything, waiting until after 20 movies to finally do their first female lead movie.

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

That speaks more about the MCU's bad handling of its female characters than anything, waiting until after 20 movies to finally do their first female lead movie.

I'm not excusing that (honestly Black Widow should've got a movie in phase 2 at the latest) but it did contribute to Captain Marvel doing as well as it did.

Edited by poweranimals

11 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I'm not excusing that (honestly Black Widow should've got a movie in phase 2 at the latest) but it did contribute to Captain Marvel doing as well as it did.

They definitely released BW too late. Should have come out right after Civil War during the time period that movie takes place in.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1