ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You remember a Spiderman movie with Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield is coming next month right?

I'm not even that excited about SM but people will loved it. It will take way more than a movie with 10 who characters to damage MCU.

I mean look at DCEU’s struggles and yet…it’s still marching forward. Even a commercial dud like Birds of Prey is getting spin-offs. 

I feel Franchise War soldiers hungry after years of pain/disappointment finally taking one out of something on this brand. As an ex FW trooper, let me tell ya though…that feeling is brief and fleeting. Now I realize it was a waste of time, mental masturbation.

• Like 1

This is Hulk 2003 all over again. An Oscar winning american-Asian filmmaker doing a marvel comic book movie and failing spectacularly in making something that the critics can get behind and audience can enjoy.

Marvel should be hiring non Oscar winners and weird/untested filmmakers for their projects. I really feel Jon Watts needs to be off F4. He must be too burned out after no way home. Should give that project to some other filmmaker. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

Well there was a lot of hype going into Endgame. And then there was the whole "first female Marvel hero" thing.

Still the movie made 1.13 billion, how much more would have been with a supposed stronger lead ? It just hard to believe it was a particular bad match with that type of result. And there was hype but followed with a perfectly good multiplier of 2.78 (that the same has Captain america 1-2, Dortor strange, first thor, etc....) specially for that big of OW, there is no sign I can think of to point to any issue with that casting choice.

You know the adage. 

If it ain't broke...

Critics, fans and general audiences absolutely love the so-called MCU formula.

You don't just change it for the sake of change.

How many cinematic universes had a successful formula? Most would kill to trade places with Marvel Studios.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

If this goes low OW (and low being around Black Widow open - it could be lower, but tracking would have to really fall at this point), the mistakes were threefold:

1. the concept stage (which I mentioned a few pages of posts ago - two many characters and concepts needed to be introduced in one movie before any "story plot" can be explored),

2. the marketing stage, where the initial trailers seemed distant, cold, and/or boring to GA - once you lose them at the get go, it's hard to get them back,

3. the movie release date, which happens only two weeks after another "gorgeous world building sci fi" movie, which is more critically acclaimed, beat it to the market, so Disney put itself in the position of having to draw out those same fans again in a pretty tight window...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Can't wait for the "Go Woke Go Broke" or "People only dislike this movie cause of its diversity"  depending on how the box office turns out

Oh don't wait just go on IMDB to see this is already being review bombed even before people saw it, and obviously it's because of diversity.

18 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Can't wait for the "Go Woke Go Broke" or "People only dislike this movie cause of its diversity"  depending on how the box office turns out

Oh god please don't tell me that's going to happen.

2.5 years later, the only things I hear about Cap Marvel irl are the whole "go woke go broke" idiots, or on the other end the people who get all up in arms that you hate diversity when you tell them it's not your favourite marvel movie ever. 

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Oh don't wait just go on IMDB to see this is already being review bombed even before people saw it, and obviously it's because of diversity.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9032400/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9032400/releaseinfo

A lot of imdb people at those premier !

I think for a good review bomb (that one is quite small, with less than 500 vote, almost twice has many false 10/10 review logged), you need

-Diversity

Media/release championing the fact it has diversity or media reaction that seem to go softer than they would on the movie because of it.

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, Fast and Furious, Snake eyes and Mortal Kombat were full of diversity and I doubt they got review bombed or even Dune ? Large budget affair that are not quite diverse are quite rare.

Edited by Barnack

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You know the adage. 

If it ain't broke...

Critics, fans and general audiences absolutely love the so-called MCU formula.

You don't just change it for the sake of change.

How many cinematic universes had a successful formula? Most would kill to trade places with Marvel Studios.

I repeat: Marvel fanboys are spoiled rotten.

Agree that any studio would kill for a franchise with a rate to sucess like  Marvel Studios has had.

And it's not like Eternals is being panned. It's not getting great reviews, more like OK or Pretty Good rather then bad.

And it not like with CBM getting bad reviews dooms a movie at the box office. Look at the Venom movies...crappy reviews (with which I pretty much agreed) but they made a lot of profit for Sony.

Someday MCU will have an out and out box office flop.It's the law of averages, it's going to eventually happen. I don't think it will happen with Eternals though.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Oh god please don't tell me that's going to happen.

2.5 years later, the only things I hear about Cap Marvel irl are the whole "go woke go broke" idiots, or on the other end the people who get all up in arms that you hate diversity when you tell them it's not your favourite marvel movie ever. 

Not to mention that, I think the huge sucess of the first Wonder Woman film proved, regardless of how CM did, the Go Woke Go Broke morons are just that:Morons. Of course bigots are usually morons, I have noted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

This is Hulk 2003 all over again. An Oscar winning american-Asian filmmaker doing a marvel comic book movie and failing spectacularly in making something that the critics can get behind and audience can enjoy.

Marvel should be hiring non Oscar winners and weird/untested filmmakers for their projects. I really feel Jon Watts needs to be off F4. He must be too burned out after no way home. Should give that project to some other filmmaker. 

And you have had how expereince running a studio?

If this underperforms (by MCU standards, of course) I'd simply attribute it to the lack of interest in an Eternals movie. Perhaps we really are approaching "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" levels since their next several movies are all sequels featuring characters introduced in the Infinity/Endgame saga (Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Guardians, Ant-Man).

But hey, nothing can sink to the lows of Inhumans...right?

An Open Letter From Medusa's Inhumans Wig | Marvel inhumans, Marvel, Marvel  tumblr

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If this underperforms (by MCU standards, of course) I'd simply attribute it to the lack of interest in an Eternals movie. Perhaps we really are approaching "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" levels since their next several movies are all sequels featuring characters introduced in the Infinity/Endgame saga (Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Guardians, Ant-Man).

But hey, nothing can sink to the lows of Inhumans...right?

An Open Letter From Medusa's Inhumans Wig | Marvel inhumans, Marvel, Marvel  tumblr

That show was so awful.