ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

15 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Eternals won’t release until Nov 2021, so might be a bit early for a trailer 🙃

Don’t even say this. I am already having the worst week. 🥺🥺 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

And here I was excited for actual news on the movie :(

In all seriousness there are rumors of a trailer soon.     

But Feige has also gotta be having conversations about moving BW back, so I’m not getting my hopes up just yet personally.

• Like 1

Since the week of Aug. 10, Zhao has been ensconced in an editing room on the empty Disney lot, completing postproduction on both Nomadland and Eternals, which is due in February and which features Gemma Chan, Angelina Jolie and Marvel’s first LGBTQ relationship in a story about an immortal alien race who has secretly lived on Earth for 7,000 years. "Chloé will go toe to toe about Malick, or as esoteric and small a film as has ever been made, but also on Star Wars or on [Japanese superhero franchise] One-Punch Man in a way that is quite unique and quite spectacular," says Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. "She would finish some giant production meeting with us that involved the creation and approval of dozens of costumes, creature design, intergalactic designs. And then she would get into her half solar power, half corn oil or whatever it was van, and drive out to the Dakotas for Nomadland. That she can fit in in all of these environments is remarkable."

"Disney are big Chloé fans too, so it’s kind of all in the family." 

When Zhao met with Disney-owned Marvel about the Eternals job, says Feige, she brought reams of visuals to deliver a compelling pitch about 10 little-known immortal Marvel characters in a story set after the events of the last Avengers movie. "Her initial pitch to us was fascinating," says Feige. "And frankly one of the reasons we moved forward on the movie was because of the vision that she brought to it." One of the ideas Zhao embedded in Eternals was stylistic and rooted in her childhood. "I have such deep, strong, manga roots," says Zhao. “I brought some of that into Eternals. And I look forward to pushing more of that marriage of East and West." Zhao also was pushing big thematic ideas — Eternals is literally about the history of humanity. "How much further and bigger can we go after [Avengers:] Endgame?" asks Zhao. "Because I’m not just making the film as a director. I’m making the film as a fan."

Despite working with a much bigger budget than she ever had before, Zhao says she was allowed the same creative freedom on Eternals that she had grown used to on her smaller films. "I shot exactly the way I wanted to shoot," she says. "On location. A lot of magic hour. Three-hundred-sixty degrees on the same camera as I did on Nomadland. Same rigs. It’s a bit surreal. I’m still waiting for the shoe to drop. It hasn’t. I think I got lucky in that Marvel wants to take risks and do something different."

An LGBTQ relationship in the film "was always sort of inherent in the story and the makeup of the different types of Eternals," says Feige. "I think it is extremely well done, and I look forward to that level of inclusion in our future movies being less of a topic."

Among the movie’s unexpected set pieces is a Bollywood dance sequence, with some 50 dancers. "When I walked onto the set and saw a huge group of brown people who were going to be in a Marvel movie, I felt such gratitude towards Chloé for creating the situation," says Pakistani-American actor Kumail Nanjiani, who plays an Eternal who also happens to be a Bollywood star. "The scene was full of joy."

With her multicultural cast, which also includes Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek and a deaf actress named Lauren Ridloff, Zhao describes a vision of an outsider’s superhero movie. "I wanted it to reflect the world we live in," she says. "But also I wanted to put a cast together that feels like a group of misfits. I didn’t want the jocks. I want you to walk away at the end of the movie not thinking, 'This person is this ethnicity, that person is that nationality.' No. I want you to walk away thinking, 'That’s a family.’ You don’t think about what they represent. You see them as individuals."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/director-chloe-zhao-arrives-with-hot-oscar-contender-nomadland-and-next-years-eternals?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 18