ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

9 minutes ago, exomassey said:

In 2023, Marvel is releasing one film on Oct 6 and another on Nov 10.

Obviously the schedule changed because of COVID but this is just crazy.

Can you imagine Shang Chi and Eternals that close? lol

After Shang Chi's success, I expect that October date will move up to Labor Day Weekend - 2023. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Yeah that’s a possibility.

However I’m thinking the Oct 6 film is Blade and they want it to play over Halloween.

I mean Halloween is over 3 weeks away from October 6th and in the middle of the week. I don't think that decision will really come into play, to be honest. 

The Mouse has finally seen sense. Better late than never. 

We still don’t know for sure how they’re going to distribute their movies, post 45 day window? Or do we? 
I think they’d be crazy to put them on Disney+ without any PVOD window or digital retail revenue to precede it. 

Their press note only said Encanto was coming to Disney+ as a holiday treat (a bit like they said for Soul) but surely not the others? 

one thing seems certain. Disney will lead the way for how distribution and windows will shake out going into the new normal. 

Edited by wildphantom

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

The Mouse has finally seen sense. Better late than never. 

We still don’t know for sure how they’re going to distribute their movies, post 45 day window? Or do we? 
I think they’d be crazy to put them on Disney+ without any PVOD window or digital retail revenue to precede it. 

Their press note only said Encanto was coming to Disney+ as a holiday treat (a bit like they said for Soul) but surely not the others? 

one thing seems certain. Disney will lead the way for how distribution and windows will shake out going into the new normal. 

Chapek's words with Shang-Chi made it seem like it's gonna show up on the service after  the 45 day window is up. But they'll likely release it on digital and 4K BR too. And with how they worded Encanto, yeah, they're definitely gonna go that path.

Now the Fox films will be released on digital services first before HBO Max due to the HBO deal.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The question there is if it's Blade, and they want it in October to capitalize on Halloween.

Like I told someone else (on another thread, don't recall which); October 6 is 3.5 weeks before Halloween. All the relevant box office will be ringed out by then, save for hopefully decent legs. 

Ergo, I don't think that's really something Marvel Studios cares about. 

The Eternals themselves are alien beings that have lived for millennia. They are Earth’s protectors, yet the group did not interfere when Thanos was amassing Infinity Stones.

“[The audience] will understand why,” Zhao assures  Total Film in the upcoming issue of the magazine, featuring Eternals on the cover. "Not only why, but how complicated not interfering made them feel. We explore that. You’ll see that in the film. The Eternals were instructed not to interfere with any human conflict unless Deviants are involved. There’s a reason why that’s the case. And that was the instruction from the prime Celestial Arishem."

"What excited me is the idea of going back in time, and exploring [the time] before Thanos was born, before anyone was born," Zhao says. "Where does the MCU go back in time? And that brings us to the mythology of the Celestials. Anything involving the Celestials is going to be at a huge scale level of complication, let’s put it that way.”

https://www.gamesradar.com/eternals-thanos-mcu-chloe-zhao-time-interview/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=total-film&utm_medium=social

"I think we stand alone as a film for sure," director Chloé Zhao tells Total Film in the upcoming issue of the magazine, featuring Eternals on the cover. "But I do think we will have a very big effect on the future of the MCU with what happens in this film. Which, you know, as a fan, is really satisfying for me! I geek out."

https://www.gamesradar.com/eternals-will-have-a-very-big-effect-on-the-future-of-the-mcu-says-director-chloe-zhao/

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

On 9/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, SpiderByte said:

The question there is if it's Blade, and they want it in October to capitalize on Halloween.

the october date is blade for sure. four months ago marvel anounces that a marvel studios movie moves from october 2022 to october 2023. Also they announce the blade movie filming was delayed 10 months and in december of last year in the invertors day  they announce blade was coming in 2022 between black panther 2 and the marvels. With all this information blade is 100% the october 2023 marvel studios movie 

Edited by fede75

"I actually pitched Eternals to Kevin Feige and Nate Moore the day before I got into my van and rove to do Nomadland" "I remenber, as I was leaving, Victoria Alonso said, 'Make sure you come back. it's going to be a long journey.' I drove away the next morning to the desert"

"I was not familiar with them" she laughs. "I think not a lot of people are familiar with them" But she saw soemthing there. "I loved the idea that it's an ensemble film" Zhao continues. "And it is a film that allowed me to really explore a lot of the inner struggles and questions that I have about us as human beings, and out place in the universe, and out purpose, and things like identity. When I read the treatment for Eternals, I thought 'what an incredible way to explore that in an allegorical and fantastical way' which is the type of storytelling that really excites me."

"To be a fan of the MCU, and to be able to go back in time to sort of explore the mythology and history of the MCU as a fan, was definitely a treat" she adds.

"I do find that when they are willing to open themselves up and give you a sense of who they are on screen, it really adds something, especially in this type of fillmmaking" explains Zhao.
"when you're fighting with cosmic energy at the same time" laughs Zhao, "it's something that grounds the character."

what makes Eternals a particularly 'Zhao' film also extends to the locations, cinematography and lack of greenscreen-heavy soundstage environments these films usually shoot on. "we always said there was sort of National Geographic approach to things" say Zhao. "We wanted it to feel like these are real places and we moved the camera that way"

"some thing Chloe Zhao is very good at - and Josh James Richards who is out camera operator, who's been the DoP of all her movies, was also really good at - is capturing people in the context of their surroundings" says Nanjiani.
"If you watch Nomadland or The Rider, there's really broad, beautiful vistas. so you see the context these characters exist in. And Eternals definitely has a lot of that. We've barely used any bluescreen or any greenscreen. it was all on location, on islands, in deserts, on mountains. Everything was real."

"Sometimes it felt like the world's biggest-budget indie movie" says harington. "she struck true to her way of directing, but with all these means. I felt a bit like it was the MCU stepping out of the soundstage and into the real world. The camerawork was very freewheeling and beautiful" it gave the cast further freedom to roam.

"If they love improvising, that's plus for me" says Zhao. "If they love giving things from their real life. that's, you know, the icing on the cake"

"I think that's true for a lot of the people playing the parts" adds Jolie. "It was funny, we would talk about it as actors, and say, 'oh, it's so strange. My character's so much like me in this aread. it's so funny' And then you realise it's something Chloe had done."

Many of the cast also speak in their own accent, adding to the sense of naturalism and the story's global flavour. "We had conversations about if we're all doing same accent, or a different accent" remembers Madden. "it just kind of naturally fell on everyone using different accents. some of them were their own accents, and some were other accents that they've adopted. And I think it kind of helped paint this picture of these very different people, that I don't think we'd be able to get if we all just sounds American. I think it's really good we have this diversity"

from Total Film

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 9/14/2021 at 5:23 AM, Noctis said:

Are there any words about the film's reception? Any test screenings?

There was some kind of rumor earlier in the year that those who had seen it were saying it was the best MCU movie or something. I can't seem to track it down, but I distinctly remember reading it somewhere. There is also the factor that Shang-Chi has had reception on the higher end of the MCU but Feige has been talking up Eternals a lot more this year. I think that speaks to the confidence that Marvel has in the film. 

Edit: found them. The tweets are on page 59 of this thread. Not as specific as I remembered but they are indeed very positive about the film. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2