ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

15 hours ago, Menor said:

There was some kind of rumor earlier in the year that those who had seen it were saying it was the best MCU movie or something. I can't seem to track it down, but I distinctly remember reading it somewhere. There is also the factor that Shang-Chi has had reception on the higher end of the MCU but Feige has been talking up Eternals a lot more this year. I think that speaks to the confidence that Marvel has in the film. 

Edit: found them. The tweets are on page 59 of this thread. Not as specific as I remembered but they are indeed very positive about the film. 

I believe @EmpireCity has had glowing praise for Eternals as well.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Heroicpiglet said:

Reading page 59, it would be funny if this movie beats Dune in some acedemic metrics considered what the Dune director recently said lol

He was asked a question and gave a very tame answer. Let's not turn this into another Scorcese fanboy tantrum.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

I still predict this will get tons of Oscar noms.

Production Design

Score

SFX

Maybe Costume

Maybe Sound

Cinematography is stacked this year so unlikely.

Longshot for Picture. 10 spots help but it's still preferential ballot which doesn't favor it and spots are filling fast. 

• Like 1

Unless Eternals is a pop culture phenomenon and penetrates the casuals like Black Panther did or unless it's serious and grounded like The Joker, then I have a hard time seeing the academy nominating it. If it's ok then it will get your typical VE Oscar nom most cbm's get. Let's see if Chloe/Marvel delivers on this one.

• Like 3

Yeah i also think this could very well enter at Best Picture, not because it will match Academy standards [which let´s face it´s questionable], but because they need audience.

The show means shit without projects or people that audience care enough about, we saw this year show being a disaster in ratings and sure lack of appealing movies was one of the causes.

For next year i suspect they will have bigger things to generate interest, they can have Will Smith, Gaga, Kristen nominated for example which sure can help, but there´s one thing that will make the buzz even bigger ... a Marvel movie.

Doesn´t matter if it´s going to be an extremelly well made full fantasy movie, if it gets great reviews and turn into a box office success, this have a good shot at BP especially because there are 10 spots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

People don't show up if big movies have no chance of winning. Thanks to precursors, people know what will win and what is just a filler so they don't fall for that. However, at least this year there won't be Golden Globes so some mystery could remain. 

Ratings are likely to go up no matter what because there will be more movies in competition. Oscars 2021 were really struggling to fill the line-up since large number of biggies moved out of the eligible period. 

Emmy's went up from 2020 disaster so while still low (third worst ever), they went up. Oscars will too by default.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/2021-emmys-tv-ratings-award-show-ted-lasso-the-crown-cbs-nfl-nbc-1234840524/

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Rumor is they're looking at ways to bring bigger ratings to the Oscars, maybe they finally follow through on that Best Popular Picture thing they announced a while back

You're really desperate for this movie to get Oscar recognition. It's too late for the Academy to start adding categories.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You're really desperate for this movie to get Oscar recognition. It's too late for the Academy to start adding categories.

Well we know they're talking about taking smaller categories off air, and they already approved the Best Popular Film category years ago. Not that out of the question.

I know people are desperate to hate on Marvel for seemingly no reason bother than "they're popular, therefore bad" but people said the same about Black Panther and how did that turn out?

Somehow I get the feeling if a male director like Martin Scorsese or Denis Villeneuve directed a Best Picture winner their next films wouldn't be considered immediate write-offs for awards contention.

Plus, Popular Movie isn't Best Picture. People don't watch the Oscars for Best Animated or Best Foreign. Everyone knows what side categories are and what the main category is. Side ones exist cause those movies can't win the main one, Parasite being an exception. They can't win cause they are rarely nominated in Picture. That's all that is. You can't win. So they create a special (but lesser - everyone knows it they just won't say it) category to acknowledge you somehow, which in return prevents you from getting even a filler nomination for the main prize. Popular Movie would be the same. Not Best Picture but block popular movies from Picture nominations cause they have their own category.

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Well we know they're talking about taking smaller categories off air, and they already approved the Best Popular Film category years ago. Not that out of the question.

I know people are desperate to hate on Marvel for seemingly no reason bother than "they're popular, therefore bad" but people said the same about Black Panther and how did that turn out?

Somehow I get the feeling if a male director like Martin Scorsese or Denis Villeneuve directed a Best Picture winner their next films wouldn't be considered immediate write-offs for awards contention.

It's still too late for the Academy to start adding categories for this year's right now. If they wanted to make that change they would've added it earlier this year. And few people said the same thing about Black Panther at this point of time just like few people said the same thing about Joker at this point in time. Unlike either of those, this has no Oscar buzz at the moment. 

And get that "you're being sexist" shit out of here. It's just annoying. If Villeneuve or any other acclaimed new director was directing a Marvel or DC superhero movie, yeah we would be saying the same thing. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2