ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

23 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Could this film, number 25 in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, a decade and 1/2 of industry dominance, finally be the one the MCU haters have been hoping for? 

No, the movie have very good reactions and numbers overall for the trailer so the interest is there, the date is good, and of course i honestly doubt this movie is bad after all the rumours we heard and being directed by such a critical darling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

So much for the doomsaying

That is very huge, actually for their "original" movies i think this is actually the second biggest, only behind Captain Marvel whicht have all the avengers hype surrounding it.

Is a little bigger than Black Panther which made like 70M online on first day.

And the teaser don't even are action oriented or very expositive. The interest is there, the date is good, now the movie only needs to be good and they have another hit on their hands.

• Like 2

I strongly believe this will be the 2nd biggest MCU movie this year.

Spider will top obviously, is a sequel and it's coming for Christmas.

BW i'm sure in normal times would be the second biggest, actually this was going to 900M-1B easily, the interest is just big enough despite some people trying to say otherwise, even the 4th trailer pulled very strong numbers. But with a July release when lots of foreign countries will still be in a very bad shape, US still in transition to normal, and being available at D+, i can't see this doing more than $ 600M with some help from China.

Shang-Chi i'm sure it will be another success, but with Asians countries not so sure about it i'm not expecting much more than also $ 600M.

Eternals otherwise is coming in november where supposelly a good part of the world will be doing good, have a large and diverse cast to appeal globally, the drama surrounding it is only in China and seems easier to solve it, and the hype just seems bigger than Shang in general, so i can see this doing around $ 800M or a little more depending on the audiences reception.

Edited by ThomasNicole

Some of the reactions to this teaser (all over the internet tbc) have been absolutely ridiculous.

”Why am I supposed to care about these characters? Literally never heard of them before” - Did you hear about Nemo before Finding Nemo came out? No. Watch and find out. Actually saw a comment somewhere from someone saying they can’t imagine caring if one of the Eternals died... Since when did you have to have prior knowledge for something to resonate?

”Lol they just sat on their asses while Thanos wiped out half the universe” - Do you really think this isn’t gonna address the Snap? Every MCU project we’ve seen since Endgame has addressed that...

”Looks boring” - Based on what? This is a teaser of visuals. How can you judge a plot we know nothing about?

”Marvel has run out of ideas” - Or they had an excellent idea that you’re already dismissing because you’re not previously familiar with it...

“What is this even about?” “Where do these guys come from?” “Where are the villains?” “How is this supposed to fit in with everything else?” People really expect a trailer to give them a whole movie these days. Why even watch movies if you need to know everything ahead of time? Just enjoy it...

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It's definitely feeling like Marvel is promoting this more like an awards contender than a tentpole action film.

Another info came out today saying they tested the movie several times and they are confident in entering the award season, and that's why they're sticking with release dates close to awards even if the movie was pretty much entirely shot in 2019 and they could release before if they want.

Not really new, but it's another from several infos confirming their plans is bigger than just a box office hit. And like people said, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Half of those are essentially what people said about WandaVision, or the Guardians of the Galaxy, or basically every other new Marvel thing:

Also, to stir the festival rumor pot again: Dune isn't the mystery blockbuster at Cannes

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

The teaser seemed to at least make a much bigger impact than Shang Chi did so don't see any concern for awareness. They should lean in more with the marketing about how this is about characters who have existed thousands of years before. Never thought Marvel would be tackling that on-screen before Star Wars. 

Some of the hate may be a tad overstated with the Fandom Menace of it all but the trailer like/dislike ratio is very positive. 

• Like 1

Well, I've always loved the Skeeter Davis song that plays at the beginning so props to the marketing team for actually using it and not some 'haunting' minimalist piano cover.

Otherwise... more washed-out MCU color grading and lore I'm incapable of caring about. We're in a pretty sorry state when "at least it's not a green-screen nightmare!" is now worthy of praise.

(It should go without saying this will be a success. I know predicting that the MCU bubble will finally burst is fun but I doubt anyone really believes it right now.)

16 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

That is very huge, actually for their "original" movies i think this is actually the second biggest, only behind Captain Marvel whicht have all the avengers hype surrounding it.

Is a little bigger than Black Panther which made like 70M online on first day.

And the teaser don't even are action oriented or very expositive. The interest is there, the date is good, now the movie only needs to be good and they have another hit on their hands.

Black Panther teaser had 89m views in 24 hours.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/black-panther-teaser-trailer-racks-up-89m-views-first-24-hours-1012811/

I personally found  reception and views of Eternals below (my) expectation, I expected this film to be the biggest MCU film of the year, now I think it will only be ahead of BW (and this  only because BW will have the worst pandemic conditions),  maybe above  Shang Chi too if Shang Chi’ reception in China is not good.

51 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

Black Panther teaser had 89m views in 24 hours.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/black-panther-teaser-trailer-racks-up-89m-views-first-24-hours-1012811/

I personally found  reception and views of Eternals below (my) expectation, I expected this film to be the biggest MCU film of the year, now I think it will only be ahead of BW (and this  only because BW will have the worst pandemic conditions),  maybe above  Shang Chi too if Shang Chi’ reception in China is not good.

"The 89 million-view figure includes the 19 millions views from those watching the NBA Finals."

Expectations aside, still behind only Captain Marvel.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

So I guess Cannes just...isn't having a blockbuster there? Unless it's supposed to be French Dispatch?

https://m.festival-cannes.com/en/infos-communiques/communique/articles/the-films-of-the-official-selection-2021

Perhaps it isn't officially announced? This account is in the know and the tweet doesn't sound like French Dispatch but we'll see: