ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

No one even knows if any of the big stars (Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Sean Penn, most of the French Dispatch cast, etc.) from the major titles announced will be able to travel to France in early July. The "a blockbuster will be bowing at Cannes" buzz always seemed like smoke and mirrors to get people talking about them again.

They never announce the full line-up at once. Always a couple films that get added in later. Thierry Fremaux was still teasing a blockbuster announcement in the press conference after announcing the rest of the line-up. he said it's a fall film that's not Dune, Bond or West Side Story. IMO top gun makes the most sense since it was supposed to play there last year but could be this i guess.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

It's interesting that he didn't mention Eternals since Eternals and Dune were 2 top predictions for "planetary blockbuster" much more so than Bond and WSS. 

So among finished fall movies that fit in blockbuster (big budget, spectacle) category:

Eternals

Shang-chi

The Last Duel

Maverick

Not sure if Mission Impossible is finished. Also that GI Joe flick.

46 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's interesting that he didn't mention Eternals since Eternals and Dune were 2 top predictions for "planetary blockbuster" much more so than Bond and WSS. 

So among finished fall movies that fit in blockbuster (big budget, spectacle) category:

Eternals

Shang-chi

The Last Duel

Maverick

Not sure if Mission Impossible is finished. Also that GI Joe flick.

People are gonna be pissed if it's TG2. Stans still guess DUNE even tho it is said that will debut at Venice. The DUNE army is strong

• Like 1

Maverick was supposed to debut at Cannes 2020, the movie is done and doesn´t have much problem with spoilers, so honestly... i would bet on this movie if they didn´t announced yet.

I just can´t see Marvel putting itself in a festival 5 months before the release date for the movie, because to be in a festival the reviews can´t be embargoed, so for example if Eternals enter Cannes, we would have tons of official reviews by July, and spoilers would leak officially, it just doesn´t seem right. And also, last month the editor said he and Zhao was still working on it.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

Someone on another forum made a great point. It can't be ETERNALS because it would take the hype away from  Black Widow which releases in the week of the supposed Cannes blockbuster.

If it's a fall movie, i don't understand why they didn't chose Venice. The spoilers will be flowing around by releasing the movie 4-5 months in advance

Edited by Maggie

Yeah, Marvel doesn't need Cannes. So it's looking like Maverick is the most likely candidate. If it eyed Cannes 2020 than it's almost a done deal that it is the one. Also, would fit in Diego Andaluz tweet:

It’s not what many are expecting, and there will definitely be more than a few who are shocked by what it is... that’s all I’ll say for now

Sound like "that's it?" rather than "holy shit batman!"

it's probably going to be either Top Gun 2 or Last Night in Soho imo. like others said There is no way Eternals will play 4 months before release and Cannes prestige is probably not worth it for marvel studios. they already don't associate themselves with festival movies so why start now. 

Edited by RealLyre

12 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

also they kinda throw shade at chloe so.. lol

I doubt he say in this tone or even this way, he is very respectful.

This person doesn't seem to like Chloe and her work based on his notes about Nomadland so maybe he tended to make it seem like a shade or something because of that.

Especially because if they dismiss Marvel and Chloe's decision of working for them, more people will notice, but apparently he the only one saying this.

But anyway, it's not Eternals, this never make sense since the beginning, don't really get why people are hoping so much for this.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think this pretty much rules this movie out.

DEADLINE: Okay, do you regret remarks you made recently calling it a “planetary” film?

FREMAUX: No, because a blockbuster is at the heart of it American cinema and American cinema is planetary.

This part would fit perfectly for Top Gun.

They're loosely connected to the Thor universe but I know very little about them. They werent featured much in the comics. I DO know the Celestials 🙂. Thor once picked up a gigantic sword and hurled it through the leader's chest 🙂. It pulled the sword out and melted it like nothing...all the earth gods, Zeus, Odin, Egyptians etc, combined forces to animate a giant sized Destroyer to stop the Celestials (11-12 of 'em) from passing judgement on earth. It didn't work 🙂. They annihilated the Destroyer, and would have offed Thor if it wasn't for the intervention of mother earth. 

So their mystique has always fascinated me. Giant, armored, silent, powerful god like beings.  I know that they supposedly came to earth a couple billion years ago, and conducted experiments that gave rise to these Eternals. Then the Celestials are supposed  return and pass judgement on their worthiness to exist. That's pretty much what I know about them, I'm going o do some reading up. The blonde haired one, like Thor with a haircut, with the blue outfit, and red gloves and boots sticks out.

Being that the Celestials are GIANT armored beings requiring animated CGI...huh huh huh...they haven't been given much justice in the MCU so far 😂. Marvel does CGI, but tend to avoid major league CGI. There was a quick glimpse of a Celestial in the first Guardians movie. They were turned into a 6-foot human...economical, huh huh huh 😂....in Guardians 2. Knowing Marvel's pattern...99% of the movie will focus on the costumed Eternals, and not their giant Celestial masters. 

Edited by OdinSon2k14

Almost forgot to mention a great moment in Thor's clash with the Celestials 😂. The big red leader Celestial, 2000 feet tall, is standing on these two podiums. Thor hurls Mjolnir, shattering both podiums, sending the giant crashing to the ground on its butt 😂!

Edited by OdinSon2k14