ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The only reason anyone is taking notice of this film at all is because of the Marvel banner.

or bc what people have seen, has their interest ? how about that ? you do realise that people go to marvel movies not only bc they are marvel but  also bc people find the movies themselves intresting

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I think it's mainly because Endgame didn't really change the tone of its previous films. It was one of the many great MCU movies enjoying that same formula and I couldn't imagine people baffled by the lack of major nominations for any of the previous Avengers movies, or 96% of the other marvel films, so why this one? Deathly Hallows Part 2 had similar critical acclaim and was hugely successful but it wasn't met with Award buzz. I doubt people were that surprised.

LOTR was different. Each film was nominated in these major categories and it took the 3rd attempt to finally bag the award. It was no easy feat for it. The academy appreciation was consistent, just like it has been for the MCU

I was not surprised at all. But there is a difference between not being surprised and thinking the decision is right. I didn't love Hallows 2 as much as most but sure, those who did could argue it deserved a nod. 

I think people would take notice of Eternals, Marvel or not, cause Zhao is directing it. And she is hot right now. People want to see her next move/movie.

I think Black Panther absolutely should have won Best Picture. I can’t even remember what else was nominated that year, and I legit forgot Green Book won or existed until I stumbled upon a post a couple months ago. 

I also think that, eh Fuck It, let’s tango:

I think instead of blaming Marvel for the [insert whatever complaint you have here], it might be worth examining how the Industry did this to itself. Just look at Oscar Season. 

The worse thing the Industry did to prestige/adult/drama/whatever you want to call it films was create an “Oscar Season” where All of the festivals happen in a set schedule, then all of the films that get buzz from the festivals are released within a specific two/three month. All cause of Oscar Bait.  So instead of spreading out those films through the year, you’re expecting people to watch like 15 movies in 10 weeks. It’s asinine. No wonder the movies don’t have lingering effect. No wonder the movies don’t create additional buzz. They’re nothing but commodities that are easily replaced, because the only goal is to win an award and then move on and win another award. 

Shang Chi just made $80 million on Labor Day weekend. I think in a post pandemic world, we need to abandon the old release schedule. And hopefully by abandoning that schedule, the oscars will realize that movies which come out in March or July are just as worthy as movies that come out in December.

Or again, maybe they won’t, since the Oscars are nothing more than a PR stunt to gather more attention for the studio, and show off some pretty dresses for hit designers Fall Collection. 

I also think that the Oscars don’t take place until like next March. And this is a very very long time to continuously have this discussion. So I would encourage folks to maybe go over to the sub forum specifically for award shows to continue this. Or maybe if you feel like you have said your piece, it might be Time to move on.

And since I’ve said my piece, I’ll see you all on the other side. 😂😂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cap said:

I think people would take notice of Eternals, Marvel or not, cause Zhao is directing it. And she is hot right now. People want to see her next move/movie.

I think Black Panther absolutely should have won Best Picture. I can’t even remember what else was nominated that year, and I legit forgot Green Book won or existed until I stumbled upon a post a couple months ago. 

I think instead of blaming Marvel for the [insert whatever complaint you have here], it might be worth examining how the Industry did this to itself. Just look at Oscar Season. 

The worse thing the Industry did to prestige/adult/drama/whatever you want to call it films was create an “Oscar Season” where All of the festivals happen in a set schedule, then all of the films that get buzz from the festivals are released within a specific two/three month. All cause of Oscar Bait.  So instead of spreading out those films through the year, you’re expecting people to watch like 15 movies in 10 weeks. It’s asinine. No wonder the movies don’t have lingering effect. No wonder the movies don’t create additional buzz. They’re nothing but commodities that are easily replaced, because the only goal is to win an award and then move on and win another award. 

Shang Chi just made 94,6 million on Labor Day weekend. I think in a post pandemic world, we need to abandon the old release schedule. And hopefully by abandoning that schedule, the oscars will realize that movies which come out in March or July are just as worthy as movies that come out in December.

Or again, maybe they won’t, since the Oscars are nothing more than a PR stunt to gather more attention for the studio, and show off some pretty dresses for hit designers Fall Collection. 

I also think that the Oscars don’t take place until like next March. And this is a very very long time to continuously have this discussion. So I would encourage folks to maybe go over to the sub forum specifically for award shows to continue this. Or maybe if you feel like you have said your piece, it might be Time to move on.

be precise friend  :?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

I mean, the last time they gave best picture to a movie in the DOM top 10 was 18 years ago. It’s pretty obvious that their tastes have diverged a lot from the general audience.  

Which is fine — it’s not like it’s intended to be the “what did the GA like the most” awards. We have box office, Cinemascore, audience ratings etc to figure that out.

That does not change the point I made.  The Oscar do not choose to nominate the most obscure films of the year and give them awards. This year was maybe the one exception, but practically every release released last year was one no one gave a shit aboit. I mean just a year ago we had Joker and two years ago we had Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody (and films like Green Book and Ford v Ferrari which were smaller hits films a lot of people did watch). And when we take audience ratings especially into account, the taste of Oscar voters really does not diverge much from that of general audiences. You just don't like that the Academy doesn't vote for that one specific franchise you like.

Edited by lorddemaxus

24 minutes ago, Cap said:

Shang Chi just made $80 million on Labor Day weekend. I think in a post pandemic world, we need to abandon the old release schedule. And hopefully by abandoning that schedule, the oscars will realize that movies which come out in March or July are just as worthy as movies that come out in December.

I just think there's this weird argument going on with really loud people saying superhero movies aren't cinema and shouldn't be near awards with a ten foot pole and other really loud people saying Marvel et al are the future and cinema and awards should acknowledge their power already.

And then the majority of people are just like, we enjoy these movies they're fun we like some more than others let's not get carried away with crowning them or burying them. They also in many cases don't see a ton of movies a year so them thinking say Black Panther is BP worthy may just be as much about the ability to see other films as it is about Black Panther itself.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That does not change the point I made.  The Oscar do not choose to nominate the most obscure films of the year and give them awards. This year was maybe the one exception, but practically every release released last year was one no one gave a shit aboit. I mean just a year ago we had Joker and two years ago we had Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody (and films like Green Book and Ford v Ferrari which were smaller hits films a lot of people did watch). And when we take audience ratings especially into account, the taste of Oscar voters really does not diverge much from that of general audiences. You just don't like that the Academy doesn't vote for that one specific franchise you like.

This is true. When you look at nominees, there are very big movies (eg. BP, Joker, Bohemian, etc) almost every year, there are mid-big movies (eg. Leo movies, DOR movies, Tarantino movies, etc) and there are small movies. The controversy is that the very big ones haven't won since ROTK and even if one did, the controversy would be whether it was the "right movie" aka specific franchise specific film-maker, specific star, etc. 

30 minutes ago, Cap said:

I kinda agree. I also think there are too many awards shows leading up to the Oscars. Too many precursors that already tell you 90% of the time what is going to win which has made it so boring. Especially with the internet now and people being tapped in more than ever. There is no suspense, no excitement. This is why Parasite winning was such a breath of fresh air.  I think the last surprising thing that the general audience can remember happening at the Oscars is The LaLaLand mix up lol. 

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

There are 10 slots for Best Movie. They could nominate one of the "audience friendly" movies, but they are stubborn and that's why they lose audience every year

They're trying at least, for example with Joker and Parasite... You can see everyone on social media talking about these on the Oscar night, Parasite win is raved and celebrated the whole week.

Black Panther year also have very good impact on conversation.

They already know the show needs to be more audience friendly, they didn't have the dumb "popular movie" category idea for no reason. I don't see why it's hard to acknowledge that Oscar lose appeal because good succesful movies usually are ignored, they recognize that themselves thinking in new categories and opening themselves to movies like Joker / BP or beloved foreign movies like Parasite.

Now we're getting 10 nominees, unless they're stupid, these extra slots will be a good excuse to bring more popular projects without take away the slots for smaller movies. So yeah, i fully expect next year to have some blockbuster, could be Dune, could be Eternals, Gucci, idk, we need to wait and see how things goes. But these movies are in the conversation already, the fact that we're talking about this proof that.

Edited by ThomasNicole

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

There are 10 slots for Best Movie. They could nominate one of the "audience friendly" movies, but they are stubborn and that's why they lose audience every year

They lose audience because of the preferential ballot. Movies that we like can enter Top 8-10 or even Top 5 (Joker) but it's hard for them to win because of this crapola:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/how-oscar-s-preferential-ballot-works-could-produce-a-best-picture-shocker-1189677/

Predicting the best picture Oscar winner with any degree of confidence has become considerably harder over the past decade — and we can thank The Dark Knight for that.

In 2009, when the Oscar nominations were announced and Christopher Nolan‘s acclaimed 2008 comic book adaptation was not among the five nominees for best picture — bounced, in all likelihood, by a Holocaust movie, The Reader — it sparked outrage that convinced the Academy to take action. The organization’s board of governors voted to expand the best picture category from five nominees — at which it had been capped for 65 years, since the year after Casablanca won best picture — to 10 in the hopes of increasing the likelihood that a popular film like The Dark Knight would be nominated for the top prize in the future. (A few years later, the Academy decided to change its approach yet again so that anywhere from five to 10 nominees could end up nominated for best picture.)

With the expansion of the best picture category, the Academy also changed the voting method to determine the winner. The organization realized that a polarizing film could, in a year in which votes were really spread around, conceivably win with the support of only a small percentage of members, and that seemed wrong. A film like 2011’s The Tree of Life, for instance, was, in my judgment, beloved by some members, but strongly disliked by many more. It ended up losing to The Artist, but it could have won had the Academy not implemented a form of voting, for the best picture category only, that it had previously employed pre-1944, when it last had more than five nominees for best picture.

That system, brought back in 2009 and still employed to this day, is referred to as the “preferential ballot.” The point of it is to ensure that the best picture winner is the movie that is the most widely liked by the electorate.

How does that work? Members are asked to rank all of the best picture nominees from best to worst — and then the rest is handled by PwC, the Academy’s longtime accountants. PwC begins by sorting through the best picture ballots and creating piles for each film listed in the top spot on a ballot. This year, for example, there will be one pile in which Roma is listed as top film, another for Green Book, etc.

Unless a single film dominates by appearing in the No. 1 spot of more than 50 percent of all ballots — which can be difficult to do in a field of eight nominees, like there is this year — PwC then removes the film that has the smallest pile of No. 1 votes. But to ensure that that film’s supporters still have some influence on the outcome, PwC redistributes the ballots in that pile according to which film each ballot lists as its No. 2 choice. So if a ballot from that pile lists A Star Is Born as its No. 2 choice — that ballot is added to the A Star Is Born pile.

This process can continue for several rounds — the film with the smallest pile of ballots is eliminated and its ballots are redistributed according to its second-place choice, or its third-place choice, if the second-choice film has already been eliminated, and so on. That continues until one film’s pile accounts for more than 50 percent of all ballots.

Read the rest on THR site cause my head is spinning from just copypasta this nonsense. But yes, you can see clearly why it is hard for movies that we like to win again. We are not the Oscar electorate and what they agree on wins thanks to this system.

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No. The point you made was that they still award blockbuster films sometimes. This is not really true, as I pointed out with some pretty unambiguous cold hard facts, and now you’re trying to shift to noms. I personally don’t give a shit what the academy does, but it’s clearly false that they still vote for big movies (not just of “one specific franchise” — of literally any franchise!) the way they did a generation or two ago, and that is mildly interesting just on a historical level.

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores

6 hours ago, RRA said:

What’s weird is that awhile back THR polled industry folks and top 10 favorite movies of recent years, 3 were superhero films: BP, Endgame, and Wonder Woman (which of course infamously got zero Oscar nods.)

then again look back at the 80s and the contempt Spielberg got. He wouldn’t win his Oscar until 1994. Sometimes a town hates the king simply because he’s on the throne.

Interesting list

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/hollywoods-20-favorite-films-decade-1264272/the-kings-speech-2010/