ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Idk about you guys but this response gives me confidence in the movie and it's legs.

If for nothing else, this film looks like it will leave a lot of people talking when leaving the theater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Depends on the quality of the world building. I'm all for lore dumps if they're cool though. 

Timing might suck though b/c isn't the high budget movie coming out this weekend also all about world building, too...how much world building will folks wants in a short time frame?

It does seem like it skews older overall...that might be a GA draw problem (on a "we want over $100M OW" basis - I think $80M is the "we come no matter what" base right now, so it's how many more you can draw in)...

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Timing might suck though b/c isn't the high budget movie coming out this weekend also all about world building, too...how much world building will folks wants in a short time frame?

It does seem like it skews older overall...that might be a GA draw problem (on a "we want over $100M OW" basis - I think $80M is the "we come no matter what" base right now, so it's how many more you can draw in)...

Maybe, but I'm not sure the audience overlap between Dune and Eternals is that huge for it to matter too much. Although I say this while my feelings toward both are "most excited I've been for a movie since 2019". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't say not as good as SC, just emphasizing different things because the movies aren't similar. SC was all about being a blast/fun movie with obvious MCU ties. Eternals is more about being a character driven world building film that is yet to be determined how it fits in MCU. 

Personally, I don't like reactions that are concerned with how a movie will be received by fans and are written from that position. Did you like it? Than say so. Or, if you didn't just say so. But this "I don't know what to say cause I'm not sure what X number of fans will think"...screw that chicken shit.

Fully agreed on the second paragraph.

I do think that the reactions haven't been as positive as SC so far, although probably not too far behind. The things you mentioned could also influence reception. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Verhoeven said:

These hipsters realise that we actually, y’know, LIKE Marvel movies, right? The “it’s nothing like a Marvel movie!” takes actually put me off it more than they intrigue me.

Not saying they couldn’t do with mixing it up a bit, but if it feels like Marvel doing DC, then I’m out. I like both, but let DC do DC.

Brandon Davis posted a long text on his Instagram saying in details that it was so hard for him to give a quick reaction for this movie and decide if he like or not (he did), and honestly it seems to be the case overall with people who saw it. If anyone is interested:

"Okay, so I needed to think about this movie overnight before deciding if I liked it and I do. It has all that you expect from Marvel movies like super heroes, well-timed humor, and heart. But Chloé Zhao puts a really nice visual stamp on it as you’d expect. It feels really beautiful and authentic with a lot of real locations and light and all of that. Visually, it’s pretty fantastic.

I said on Twitter that “Eternals is a whole lot of movie” and it really is. There’s so much story to unpack and that means there, at times, is a lot of exposition. It does pay off though. The second half of the film is a bit more fast-paced and entertaining, in my opinion. I think some people might like that first half more, it’ll be interesting to see if the reactions! It just has so much to explain before it can stand on its own and when it does it’s actually pretty dang cool. The more I’ve thought about it, the more I liked it. It’s just so much to digest and Ellie and I talked for hours about it since it ended, so that’s usually a good sign! I’m really interested in seeing again and being able to just take it all in and not try to figure out how it will end!

Kumail Nanjiani steals every scene and it’s not even close. He is great as Kingo. I really enjoyed Barry Keoghan’s Druig, Lauren Ridloff as Makkari, and Don Lee as Gilgamesh. Gemma Chan and Richard Madden really have so much to do in this one and they reeeeeally deliver;
Give me more Kit Harington in the MCU immediately. I demand it;
Also, the post-credits scenes are both very, very good and exciting. Like, really great. Beware of spoilers because you don’t want these moments ruined for you!!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVNxX6clAP2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Brandon Davis posted a long text on his Instagram saying in details that it was so hard for him to give a quick reaction for this movie and decide if he like or not (he did), and honestly it seems to be the case overall with people who saw it. If anyone is interested:

"Okay, so I needed to think about this movie overnight before deciding if I liked it and I do. It has all that you expect from Marvel movies like super heroes, well-timed humor, and heart. But Chloé Zhao puts a really nice visual stamp on it as you’d expect. It feels really beautiful and authentic with a lot of real locations and light and all of that. Visually, it’s pretty fantastic.

I said on Twitter that “Eternals is a whole lot of movie” and it really is. There’s so much story to unpack and that means there, at times, is a lot of exposition. It does pay off though. The second half of the film is a bit more fast-paced and entertaining, in my opinion. I think some people might like that first half more, it’ll be interesting to see if the reactions! It just has so much to explain before it can stand on its own and when it does it’s actually pretty dang cool. The more I’ve thought about it, the more I liked it. It’s just so much to digest and Ellie and I talked for hours about it since it ended, so that’s usually a good sign! I’m really interested in seeing again and being able to just take it all in and not try to figure out how it will end!

Kumail Nanjiani steals every scene and it’s not even close. He is great as Kingo. I really enjoyed Barry Keoghan’s Druig, Lauren Ridloff as Makkari, and Don Lee as Gilgamesh. Gemma Chan and Richard Madden really have so much to do in this one and they reeeeeally deliver;
Also, the post-credits scenes are both very, very good and exciting. Like, really great. Beware of spoilers because you don’t want these moments ruined for you!!"

thats way different than a mixed reaction as some people say, bc someone cant really express his feelings right after seeing a movie that does not necessarily mean that they didnt like it or thought that it was average.

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

Just now, john2000 said:

Yeah, and he was one of the reactions that people say yesterday it was "trying to not say he dislike it".

I think it's time to accept that not every movie will be a fun ride that you instantly know you loved without thinking about it. I'm not saying Eternals is an art house movie or something because it's not, but this is MCU and probably it's the first time in almost 30 movies that they made one that demands a little more than just sit and relax. I think is normal that people need time to think about it instead of walking out of theater saying it's incredible and everything that they expect on Twitter.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

OMG, this. This. This is a GOOD POST.

thanks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

Never heard of that, looked up the review. I can confidently say that most of the early reactions do not look like that. 

Hey, if you understand the gibberish world salad written be people who are writing like they're in still in high school, more power to you.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Knock It Off 1