ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

6 hours ago, imbruglia said:

Oscar nominations are based on thousands industry votes, not ampas board meeting. lol

if you actually follow award circle, this has zero award buzz and doesn't look like award film at all.

and let's be real. only reason some people mentioning oscar is.. because of chloe zhao.

also if you follow film tiwtter.. you would know that she's not that much liked now.

she has lots of haters due to her sudden success and Marvel affiliation.

and Marvel hate from industry is stronger than ever. they don't see this as "cinema".

entertainment, not cinema.  just like denis's massive shade last week. that's how industry feel about this in general. they are the one voting for Oscar.

Expecting Oscar wins for Marvel movies is like expecting to lose weight on a McDonald's diet. They make movies for entertainment, they don't need some snobby twats to give them a shinny award for making simple and fun products 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Hollywood has awarded something a lot of people watch in the cinemas a bunch of times. You all just grumpy they don't have the same tastes as you guys. 

I mean, the last time they gave best picture to a movie in the DOM top 10 was 18 years ago. It’s pretty obvious that their tastes have diverged a lot from the general audience.  

Which is fine — it’s not like it’s intended to be the “what did the GA like the most” awards. We have box office, Cinemascore, audience ratings etc to figure that out.

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores
  • Like 11

30 minutes ago, john2000 said:

this topic has become tiresome , whats even the point of this discussion ?  at the end of the day who cares....

Exactly, who gives a crap if Eternals get Oscar nomination. As long as I enjoy it rest don't matter. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, imbruglia said:

Oscar nominations are based on thousands industry votes, not ampas board meeting. lol

if you actually follow award circle, this has zero award buzz and doesn't look like award film at all.

and let's be real. only reason some people mentioning oscar is.. because of chloe zhao.

also if you follow film tiwtter.. you would know that she's not that much liked now.

she has lots of haters due to her sudden success and Marvel affiliation.

and Marvel hate from industry is stronger than ever. they don't see this as "cinema".

entertainment, not cinema.  just like denis's massive shade last week. that's how industry feel about this in general. they are the one voting for Oscar.

I found curious you´re saying how the industry overall despise Marvel [which is true] because at this point they´re the ones bringing people to theaters in a moment that the whole industry needs that. It´s weird how industry historically put themselves in the wrong side because of protectionism and refusal to gave up on their dumb actions, it´s 2021 and there are many people that still think streaming is the worst thing ever and Marvel is destroying cinema when it´s so clear the lack of interest of GP for smaller movies have way more profound reasons that needs to be discussed and solved, still they focus on Marvel success and Netflix subscribers which is just symptoms of the real problem.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I found curious you´re saying how the industry overall despise Marvel [which is true] because at this point they´re the ones bringing people to theaters in a moment that the whole industry needs that. It´s weird how industry historically put themselves in the wrong side because of protectionism and refusal to gave up on their dumb actions, it´s 2021 and there are many people that still think streaming is the worst thing ever and Marvel is destroying cinema when it´s so clear the lack of interest of GP for smaller movies have way more profound reasons that needs to be discussed and solved, still they focus on Marvel success and Netflix subscribers which is just symptoms of the real problem.

I love marvel movies but I would never nominate one for best Picture. Refusing to give a marvel movie prestigious awards isn't the same as despising the studio. They make money but their films don't deserve Oscars.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I love marvel movies but I would never nominate one for best Picture. Refusing to give a marvel movie prestigious awards isn't the same as despising the studio. They make money but their films don't deserve Oscars.

They gave nominations to worse things than some Marvel movies every year.

Damn Green Book not just was nominated but won Best Picture being shit. It was in the same year of Black Panther actually, which i don't think deserves a win but it would be better than the actual winner.

There are a historically problem from the Academy with some genres, fantasy movies, horror movies etc, so i disagreed.

But i was talking about industry overall, not Academy, i'm trying to not enter this topic again.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DInky said:

It's funny how much hate MCU gets among industry professionals even though it's one of the main IPs keeping theatrical exhibition alive.

What’s weird is that awhile back THR polled industry folks and top 10 favorite movies of recent years, 3 were superhero films: BP, Endgame, and Wonder Woman (which of course infamously got zero Oscar nods.)

then again look back at the 80s and the contempt Spielberg got. He wouldn’t win his Oscar until 1994. Sometimes a town hates the king simply because he’s on the throne.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, RRA said:

What’s weird is that awhile back THR polled industry folks and top 10 favorite movies of recent years, 3 were superhero films: BP, Endgame, and Wonder Woman (which of course infamously got zero Oscar nods.)

then again look back at the 80s and the contempt Spielberg got. He wouldn’t win his Oscar until 1994. Sometimes a town hates the king simply because he’s on the throne.

I guess this town will hate Feige forever then 🤭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They gave nominations to worse things than some Marvel movies every year.

Damn Green Book not just was nominated but won Best Picture being shit. It was in the same year of Black Panther actually, which i don't think deserves a win but it would be better than the actual winner.

There are a historically problem from the Academy with some genres, fantasy movies, horror movies etc, so i disagreed.

But i was talking about industry overall, not Academy, i'm trying to not enter this topic again.

Green book literally ticked all the right boxes and IMO was better than Black Panther. It was a really nice movie that found an audience, making almost 300m off a 22m budget. It was one of the few years they got it right.  Shape of water would have been a better example. Woman bangs a fish ffs

If TDK wasn't good enough to win these prestigious awards then no MCU movie will deserve it

Edited by Chicago
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

I mean, the last time they gave best picture to a movie in the DOM top 10 was 18 years ago. It’s pretty obvious that their tastes have diverged a lot from the general audience.  

Which is fine — it’s not like it’s intended to be the “what did the GA like the most” awards. We have box office, Cinemascore, audience ratings etc to figure that out.

Yeah I wasn't gonna reply to that post, but like you said last time it was early 2000s or in the 90s.

10 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Yeah I wasn't gonna reply to that post, but like you said last time it was early 2000s or in the 90s.

ROTK was #1 DOM and received massive Oscar love. Next generations’s ROTK, even more successful with audience but crickets for awards. Shows the changed landscape well imo.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RRA said:

It was top 20 in the decade. Wonder Woman #17, Endgame #5, Black Panther #3. Now I don't much care whether the MCU get awards or not (real award is audience response) but there does seem to be a weird hatred of it in some circles (especially in "Film Twitter", they seem especially deranged). 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

ROTK was #1 DOM and received massive Oscar love. Next generations’s ROTK, even more successful with audience but crickets for awards. Shows the changed landscape well imo.

I think one way to look at it is, what blockbuster do you think was as worthy ROTK? That movie is probably the most epic film I've seen, it even plays and looks like an awards movie. It's basically a big budget war movie dealing with themes that are very popular to Oscar voters. Endgame would never get the same love because half the movie was basically a greatest hits flash back which played really well for it's fans but won't win over the Academy. They are also never going to award best picture to a plot that involves going back in time to pick up magic stones and save their friends so they can have an awesome 15 minute CGI fight of all our favourites characters. 

LOTR pushed filmmaking boundaries, making all 3 back to back was a first I believe so the win seemed like recognition for all as one. It revolutionised the VFX industry like no Marvel movie had. It out New Zealand on the map. The landscapes on display were truly breathtaking compared to the mostly green affair we get today, something that Eternals I think will benefit greatly from going by the shots in the trailer.

Out of all the marvel movies, I think BP was the most worthy of a BP win given its subject matter and the craft on display as a whole. The costumes were inventive, the score seemed like it came straight from its imaginary world, the sets were fantastic and it had a good plot. That being said, I don't think it compares to any of the LOTR movies.

I think we need studios to start playing it less safe before we start to see blockbuster winners again. Right now it doesn't seem to be their top priority but films like Joker/BP have shown that getting to that spot just requires studios to take those risks 

24 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I think one way to look at it is, what blockbuster do you think was as worthy ROTK? That movie is probably the most epic film I've seen, it even plays and looks like an awards movie. It's basically a big budget war movie dealing with themes that are very popular to Oscar voters. Endgame would never get the same love because half the movie was basically a greatest hits flash back which played really well for it's fans but won't win over the Academy. They are also never going to award best picture to a plot that involves going back in time to pick up magic stones and save their friends so they can have an awesome 15 minute CGI fight of all our favourites characters. 

I don't see how the plot of Endgame is disqualifying whatsoever, you made it sound dumb in your post but one could easily do that for ROTK. That said I don't think it should get the 11 Oscars of ROTK but I thought Endgame was more worthy than all of the 2019 nominees (that I have seen, which I think was around 6/9) except Parasite. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Chicago said:

Expecting Oscar wins for Marvel movies is like expecting to lose weight on a McDonald's diet. They make movies for entertainment, they don't need some snobby twats to give them a shinny award for making simple and fun products 

So take it with Feige. No one would talk about Eternals Oscar even with Zhao at the helm if he wasn't talking about it ever since it went into production. He's the one who thinks Eternals can win Best Picture, not BOT posters. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So take it with Feige. No one would talk about Eternals Oscar even with Zhao at the helm if he wasn't talking about it ever since it went into production. He's the one who thinks Eternals can win Best Picture, not BOT posters. 

Exactly. Everyone knows this movies are to entertain and nobody cares about awards considering only 3 superhero movies ever get a BP nomination and none won.

But Feige is hyping this as something different and groundbreaking even before Nomadland was released. I saw scenes from this movie in comic con 2019 and Feige presents this movie to us as something incredible, unlike anyone saw on MCU, and he was clearly very excited about this one way before the world knows who Chloe is.

And then we get several infos that the movie indeed is something special, that Marvel and Disney are very confident in it etc 

Personally i get it that it's a pipe dream and could ended up being just a great movie but not above MCU, and yeah it's a pointless and somewhat tiring discussion, but it's weird some people trying hard to make people who talk about this movie chances as delusional and that they're thinking this have a shot only because Nomadland won when this clearly wasn't the case.

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Well looking at the trailer, Eternals looks unique more likely to bag the award than practically all of the previous MCU movies. It looks different, multicultural, beautiful natural shots and has worthy talent behind the camera. I won't deny this films potential

40 minutes ago, Menor said:

I don't see how the plot of Endgame is disqualifying whatsoever, you made it sound dumb in your post but one could easily do that for ROTK. That said I don't think it should get the 11 Oscars of ROTK but I thought Endgame was more worthy than all of the 2019 nominees (that I have seen, which I think was around 6/9) except Parasite. 

I think it's mainly because Endgame didn't really change the tone of its previous films. It was one of the many great MCU movies enjoying that same formula and I couldn't imagine people baffled by the lack of major nominations for any of the previous Avengers movies, or 96% of the other marvel films, so why this one? Deathly Hallows Part 2 had similar critical acclaim and was hugely successful but it wasn't met with Award buzz. I doubt people were that surprised.

LOTR was different. Each film was nominated in these major categories and it took the 3rd attempt to finally bag the award. It was no easy feat for it. The academy appreciation was consistent, just like it has been for the MCU