ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

37 minutes ago, Menor said:

I was not surprised at all. But there is a difference between not being surprised and thinking the decision is right. I didn't love Hallows 2 as much as most but sure, those who did could argue it deserved a nod. 

There's been too many deserving films to count which is why I stopped watching the acadamy awards a long time ago. Judging by the diminishing views, I think many got bored of it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

You think a Best Picture and Best Directors next film would be an automatic write off for awards contention? Why?

No, I think if this film wasn't MCU this thread wouldn't even be 5 pages by now and no-one on here would care if it were award-worthy.

Maybe it really will be oscar-worthy. Or maybe it'll be like 99% of all other MCU movies: absolutely fine and make a ton of money which will be its own reward.

Edited by Hatebox

1 hour ago, Nerfy said:

Oscars are a marketing tool for studios.

It depend who is the target of that marketing in that sentence.

Oscars for many movies-campaign, often cost more than the added revenues they brought, the Globe are often to be a better return and yet receive less effort.

There is ego involve, but there is also an attraction of certain talents, those who care will be more open to go with a strong award team place for their next project (and from the Producers has well, not just writer-director big actor with choice).

Now that the competition will either soon be nill or from not perceived as not that good for the Oscar (netflix-amazon-apple, etc..) it could become rapidly a non issue, but back in the day a studio would pitch an project.

For example look at WME talent agent Newman pitch to DiCaprio to make the Steve Jobs movie:

Certainly on Danny's part, he's long wanted to work with you again, and
>in the 15 years since "The beach" you have both grown immeasurably in
>your craft and abilities.
>With this text, Danny feels he's found a script that can be as enduring
>a character study and portrait of our age and times as 'Citizen Kane 'was
>for a previous generation, from a writer who is the equal of Paddy
>Chayevsky.
>With Scott Rudin, you have a producer who is perhaps the greatest ever at
>making intelligent, important films in partnership with Sony who, as
>we've seen with films such as "the social network", "Capt. Phillips"and
>"Moneyball" ,will spend the necessary marketing and publicity money to
>get audiences and award attention.
>Steve Jobs was a man who came from nothing and nowhere to change the
>world ,as surely as Thomas Edison did, and and there's no better actor
>than you with the artistry and talent to help people understand what that
>must've been like.
>Further, the production isn't set in the middle of the jungle, nor
>require a physical transformation, but will be shot in a city such as San
>Francisco, allowing you to give your sole creative focus to exploring
>the richness of the dialogue and character, with your pick of costars.
>Just as you must surely feel great pride in helping bring Marty his Oscar
>on "the departed", everyone involved in this production desperately wants
>to help bring you the Academy award you so richly deserve.
>I remember speaking with you years ago about 'boogie nights', and all you
>could have done with that wonderful part, and I truly believe this is an
>opportunity we will look back on with regret if we don't make happen.
>Your pal,
>Robert

Award track record is part an attraction magnet to certain talents, part ego for the different studio that care, part platform release that make certain movies possible or bigger. They often during greenlight negotiation have a pre-agreed award season marketing budget with big name talents like the Scott Rudin of the worlds.

23 hours ago, Maggie said:

There are 10 slots for Best Movie. They could nominate one of the "audience friendly" movies, but they are stubborn and that's why they lose audience every year

When was the last time they shun all audience friendly movies ?

I mean, this is filled with them:

Best Picture
Ford v. Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Gisaengchung

Has well:

This is almost 100% easy audience fully friendly cinema with 1 or 2 exception sometime getting in.

Anytime something popular that is remotely artistically good and pleasing for the average 60 year's old it get in.

Has for why they lose audience every year I think that a bit of a simplification, TV tend to lose audience every year and award shows that invite the biggest names in different industry (VMA and other in the music industry for example), bleed audience even faster.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Exactly. Everyone knows this movies are to entertain and nobody cares about awards considering only 3 superhero movies ever get a BP nomination and none won.

But Feige is hyping this as something different and groundbreaking even before Nomadland was released. I saw scenes from this movie in comic con 2019 and Feige presents this movie to us as something incredible, unlike anyone saw on MCU, and he was clearly very excited about this one way before the world knows who Chloe is.

And then we get several infos that the movie indeed is something special, that Marvel and Disney are very confident in it etc 

Personally i get it that it's a pipe dream and could ended up being just a great movie but not above MCU, and yeah it's a pointless and somewhat tiring discussion, but it's weird some people trying hard to make people who talk about this movie chances as delusional and that they're thinking this have a shot only because Nomadland won when this clearly wasn't the case.

This reminds me of how Disney back in the day was stunned by Beauty & the Beast getting a Best Picture Oscar nod (first toon movie to do that) so then-Disney animation boss Jeff Katzenberg was driven to make a movie that would win it, really concentrated alot of time/effort/money into it and hyped it up internally. So much that when in-studio animators were given a choice to either work on this or The Lion King when both were being developed along the same time in that pipeline...most chose to do this, the plum gig. Disney in fact was still high on this movie punching through that glass ceiling for them and animation, even after Katzenberg left to go launch Dreamworks. 

That movie? Pocahontas.

Like nothing against that movie, its...fine I guess, but in retrospect, this is hilarious. 

I mean King Kevin didn't make Black Panther to win awards. Nor Eternals tbh, but I could see how after BP was nominated and seeing Eternals come together, he probably thinks could cross that hump for whatever reason. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

ROTK was #1 DOM and received massive Oscar love. Next generations’s ROTK, even more successful with audience but crickets for awards. Shows the changed landscape well imo.

Don't think Titanic would sweep awards as well, as it did back in the day. It will still make $2B as it did though.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Does kisses normally get "brief sexuality" mention?

If it's a gay kiss, maybe yes.

MPAA was already accused of homophobia few years ago because they give it an R Rated to a movie without any violence, sex etc. The movie only "difference" is having gay and lesbian characters.

Of course after that things get better, but i suspect a gay kiss could still generate some weird line about "brief sexuality".

Personally i would be shocked with any sex mention on a Marvel movie.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Don't think Titanic would sweep awards as well, as it did back in the day. It will still make $2B as it did though.

There is less sweeping going on has the voting body get more international, but something like Titanic would do close to it if not more (and probably have both leads get nomination this time, in 2022 DiCaprio starring in a movie that destroy Avatar box office by a giant amount probably get a nom).

Lord of the rings won has many in 2003 and Lalaland got has many nomination in 2016 with 14 (an all time record tie with All About Eve and Titanic).

La la land was not 40% of what Titanic was and achieved to do this:

Oscar
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Emma Stone
Best Achievement in Directing
Damien Chazelle
At 32 years and 38 days of age, Damien Chazelle becomes the youngest winner for Best Director.
Best Achievement in Cinematography
Linus Sandgren
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)
Justin Hurwitz
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)
Justin Hurwitz (music)
Benj Pasek (lyrics)
Justin Paul (lyrics)
Song: "City of Stars"
Best Achievement in Production Design
David Wasco (production design)
Sandy Reynolds-Wasco (set decoration)
Nominee
Oscar
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Fred Berger
Jordan Horowitz
Marc Platt
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Ryan Gosling
Best Original Screenplay
Damien Chazelle
Best Achievement in Film Editing
Tom Cross
Best Achievement in Costume Design
Mary Zophres
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Andy Nelson
Ai-Ling Lee
Steven Morrow
Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Ai-Ling Lee
Mildred Iatrou
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)
Justin Hurwitz (music)
Benj Pasek (lyrics)
Justin Paul (lyrics)
Song: "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)"

That award body is really hungry for the next Titanic and if they ever remake a movie like that that work like that it could easily beat all the record (has more category exist now I think) imo

Edited by Barnack

16 hours ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

ROTK was #1 DOM and received massive Oscar love. Next generations’s ROTK, even more successful with audience but crickets for awards. Shows the changed landscape well imo.

Not sure which would be that, but you in the shoes of a median academy voters (that was a 63 year's old in 2014), was there any Titanic or ROTK for them since ? Avatar maybe, but not really and that did really well.

Edited by Barnack

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure which would be that, but you in the shoes of a median academy voters (that was a 63 year's old in 2014), was there any Titanic or ROTK for them since ? Avatar maybe, but not really and that did really well.

Endgame is pretty clearly the ROTK for the next generation imo. And ROTJ for the previous one.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

But La La Land was a awards movie, but I was trynna say that awards and box office are getting apart with time.

More than an giant period movie ? The record holder was BenHur (11) and Gone with the wind (10)

Awards and Box office are getting apart but I am not sure that it is mostly for the reason of the sorts:

It’s pretty obvious that their tastes have diverged a lot from the general audience.  

Audience arguably have liked the superheroes movies for a very long time at least since Superman (than Batman 89, etc...) and academy was never a big fan of them back then.

Superman was one of the biggest movie of all time on release:

Academy Awards, USA 1979

Winner
Special Achievement Award
Les Bowie
Colin Chilvers
Denys N. Coop
Roy Field
Derek Meddings
Zoran Perisic
For visual effects.
Nominee
Oscar
Best Sound
Gordon K. McCallum
Graham V. Hartstone
Nicolas Le Messurier
Roy Charman
Best Film Editing
Stuart Baird
Best Music, Original Score
John Williams

Batman broke some record:

Academy Awards, USA 1990

Winner
Oscar
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Anton Furst
Peter Young

Spider man 1 and 2 has well:

Academy Awards, USA 2005

Winner
Oscar
Best Achievement in Visual Effects
John Dykstra
Scott Stokdyk
Anthony LaMolinara
John Frazier
Nominee
Oscar
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Kevin O'Connell
Greg P. Russell
Jeffrey J. Haboush
Joseph Geisinger
Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Paul N.J. Ottosson

Academy Awards, USA 2003

Nominee
Oscar
Best Sound
Kevin O'Connell
Greg P. Russell
Ed Novick
Best Visual Effects
John Dykstra
Scott Stokdyk
Anthony LaMolinara
John Frazier

Did the academy taste changed toward them (maybe the academy did got more to like them today than in the past, but one could say it is lesser competition), did the audience taste changed toward them (maybe they love them a bit more, but they were immensely popular back then has well) ? But those seem to be what they would get today, if anything they would get more academy attention today.

I feel it is more there is not a Titanic or Gone With the Wind being released than a massive change in voter taste, but I could be wrong. We would only know if Hollywood ever make a movie like that ever again. Titanic would probably do has well today with the Oscars specially if it was a box office monster or at least I do not see a reason why not.

1 minute ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Endgame is pretty clearly the ROTK for the next generation imo. And ROTJ for the previous one.   

Not for the next generation of over 60 year's old voter or are you saying that it is ?

It is easy to see why an Titanic was beloved by a group of old people that vote for the awards, same for Lord of the Rings it is less obvious that it would be the case for the Superheroes stuff and it is not a sign of a change in taste, like Spider Man breaking record during Lords of the rings trilogy, they would not have necessarily beloved EndGame back then.

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

But La La Land was a awards movie, but I was trynna say that awards and box office are getting apart with time.

More than that, it was a movie about Hollywood and movies and Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood and movies.  Which is why it was a shocker it lost to Moonlight.

• Like 1

Again, all,

We have a Sub Forum for this.  I sent a link to it.  If we want to talk about this not specifically related to Eternals, I have no problem moving all of the posts to the Sub Forum and letting the conversation freely flow there.  Just tell me that's what you want.

captain america hiding GIF

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

They're trying at least, for example with Joker and Parasite... You can see everyone on social media talking about these on the Oscar night, Parasite win is raved and celebrated the whole week.

Black Panther year also have very good impact on conversation.

They already know the show needs to be more audience friendly, they didn't have the dumb "popular movie" category idea for no reason. I don't see why it's hard to acknowledge that Oscar lose appeal because good succesful movies usually are ignored, they recognize that themselves thinking in new categories and opening themselves to movies like Joker / BP or beloved foreign movies like Parasite.

Now we're getting 10 nominees, unless they're stupid, these extra slots will be a good excuse to bring more popular projects without take away the slots for smaller movies. So yeah, i fully expect next year to have some blockbuster, could be Dune, could be Eternals, Gucci, idk, we need to wait and see how things goes. But these movies are in the conversation already, the fact that we're talking about this proof that.

Too Bad The Snyder Cut isn’t eligible. Surely it’d get a best picture nom.

• Haha 1