ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

2 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

With Eternals specifically and the MCU, I see it as the equivalent of people dunking on the Patriots when they ruined their perfect season by losing in the Super Bowl to end up 18-1.  Got to do it while you can!  (Because you know... more Super Bowls are coming.)

OT but who is King Kevin then in that analogy? Belichick or Brady?

3 hours ago, The GOAT said:

WW1984 was at like 87% at the same point........   

Looking at it it is a bit strange that among the 29 first review, 28 are positive.

For a movie with a 55% RT score chance of having at least 2 negative among 29 reviews would be over 99.999% I think, if there was no force in play (hand picking of reviewer to be the first to see it or some a movie is getting bad reviews more chance to find it bad when I see it and so on)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Looking at it it is a bit strange that among the 29 first review, 28 are positive.

For a movie with a 55% RT score chance of having at least 2 negative among 29 reviews would be over 99.999% I think, if there was no force in play (hand picking of reviewer to be the first to see it or some a movie is getting bad reviews more chance to find it bad when I see it and so on)

Warner showed WW84 to specific critics and let them publish their reviews before everyone else.

Probably this explain the disparity, and then when it starts freefalling people decide to destroy it entirely and it got rotten.

• Like 1

Honestly at this point the wet blankets been thrown on my excitement so much I'll probably have a good time even if it isn't that good anyways.

Also we need to put a kibosh on the whole idea of "RT score comps" as a concept because that shit will get very annoying very quickly

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

What I've seen here in reaction to Eternals is so damn MILD compared to what used to happen on here and I'm honestly surprised.  I started reading and posting on the site again for the first time in over a year recently due to covid and I don't know if there were mod changes or if its because a bunch of the old regulars quit(there are a bunch of names I no longer see here), but this place is comically tame compared to what it used to be(maybe even to a fault) when it comes to any kind of drama or people dancing on films stumbling with critics or audiences.  And honestly, sometimes it was entertaining depending on the movie.

For better and worse, Marvel has been by far the most powerful brand in entertainment for well over 10 years now.  The IP is so strong now that everyone involved with Eternals will be fine.  Its not like Eternals stumbling is harmful to the industry or any of the talent involved in the way that The Last Duel, a legitimately great film, utterly bombing with a pathetic 4.7m OW is.

OT but TLD being the poster child for a the death of the non-blockbuster movie or whatever for some folks is interesting. Do folks really think that Oscar bait would’ve been successful commercially in a normal environment? I suppose the flag will transfer over to Edgar Wright’s néw movie once it  bombs this upcoming weekend and some locals will go into their ritual “cinema is dead” postings. 

Anyway yeah 2016 around here was a total shitshow to say the least. Maybe the purging/changes worked? Maybe MCU being secured as a pop culture fixture is different than say DCEU trying to launch itself and fan anxiety over that? Maybe the lack of franchise pissing war ammo this year compared to 5 years ago played a big part? A bit of all the above I suppose.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Clearly Feige's effusive praise of the movie, which a lot of people trusted and clinged onto, isnt a reflection of the general consensus so far. 

I mentioned the Pocahontas comp before (which Disney lol at one point thought would win Best Picture) and it seems accurate here in terms of internal belief in a movie contrasting with actual result.

This is shaping up to be Marvel's WW84 - though I liked WW84 (It's essentially a big budget version of the 70s series) so I still have hope with this.

If it fails, Marvel Studios will recover. They got the Hawkeye series and  Spider-man on the horizon - then next year will be nuts - Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Thor. . .the various TV shows (especially Ms. Marvel, which I'm willing to bet will be the biggest hit). Also, apparently it's so heavily stand alone (save for the credit scenes), that they could seemingly course correct fast and treat it like Incredible Hulk.

Still . . perhaps they should have not tried to make a big budget arthouse film and did Inhumans instead - Lockjaw would have made them bankkkkk . . .

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m not talking about the critics. They’ll do whatever they do. I’m talking here — there’s a really ugly side of BOT, a mob mentality, that comes out when some film gets really shitty reception (one way or another).

Yeah. 

But the best picture director giving marvel the worst reviewed movie ought to generate alot of conversation even negative one.

This happening to eternals of all mcu films is just fucking hilarious tbh.

Fiege giving us all that oscar talk didn't help either.

You posted earlier the title is baity which I just don't think it is . It's appropriate because it what it is nobody so this coming.

It's just  fan boy wars that happen even on the best of communities .

BOT is honestly one of the best communities I've been on. It's no hive mind like some forums on reddit and Twitter tbh .

The reaction in this thread to eternal reviews though exaggerated at times esp thinking eternals will bomb without seeing audience reception . 

But c'mon with such reviews what reactions were you expecting??.

Of corse you going to get constant posts on RT dropping and pot shots at marvel b'se this is unprecedented ,none expected this.

Expectations for eternals were lofty then this happens.

Just think some are overly sensitive to the reactions here yet they ain't the worst thing ever  

25 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

If it fails, Marvel Studios will recover. They got the Hawkeye series and  Spider-man on the horizon - then next year will be nuts - Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Thor. . .the various TV shows (especially Ms. Marvel, which I'm willing to bet will be the biggest hit). Also, apparently it's so heavily stand alone (save for the credit scenes), that they could seemingly course correct fast and treat it like Incredible Hulk.

Ever notice how Marvel seems to have organized these into A-tier and B-tier years?  You're right -- next year is clearly an A-tier year, all highest-profile entries spawned off of extremely successful previous entries (or in Strange's case, it's more of a Marvel-mash-up with Strange at the center).  2023 will be the oddballs B-tier -- Ant-Man, Guardians, The Marvels...  This year was clearly a B-tier... but Shang-Chi turned out to be the unexpected success, and might end up making more at the box office than either Widow or Eternals...

• Like 1

Can't say i really bought the Oscar talk,  it doesn't seem all that thought provoking or a film that has a lot to say.  That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.  

The reviews remind me of the first time i saw the trailer.  Mixed bag.  How could some of the shots be so beautiful and then others be below average quality cgi?   i sure was confused by that.  But then again the cgi might not have been finished.  

i'll watch.  i end up watching all of these anyway.  No reason to melt down here.  No reason to dig for conspiracy theories or question critics.  Sometimes a studio just makes an average movie or a bad movie.  

i must be getting old.  Much of Phase 1 wasn't well received but people don't seem to remember that.  With how many critics there are now the Thors or iron man sequels or even AOU could have been lower by today's standards.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

This is shaping up to be Marvel's WW84 - though I liked WW84 (It's essentially a big budget version of the 70s series) 

I must've missed the episode where Diana cried alone in the dark for 60 years over the death of a guy she knew for a few days, then used a stranger's body to have sex and do incredibly dangerous stuff without his consent, only agreeing to give the man his body and free will back when it became clear it was the only way to save the world.

• Haha 6
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

What if this film ends up the opposite of Suicide Squad 2021? Having low rotten scores but somehow still gain a strong box office number  👁️👄👁️

Sounds like an apples to oranges comparison.  TSS was a same day release on HBO Max and Eternals is not on Disney+.  The comparison should be Shang Chi

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

I repeat: Marvel fanboys are spoiled rotten.

Agree that any studio would kill for a franchise with a rate to sucess like  Marvel Studios has had.

And it's not like Eternals is being panned. It's not getting great reviews, more like OK or Pretty Good rather then bad.

And it not like with CBM getting bad reviews dooms a movie at the box office. Look at the Venom movies...crappy reviews (with which I pretty much agreed) but they made a lot of profit for Sony.

Someday MCU will have an out and out box office flop.It's the law of averages, it's going to eventually happen. I don't think it will happen with Eternals though.

They already have an out and out box office flop. The Incredible Hulk.

I find a lot of people on this forum are so funny.  very very misguided.  this is about box office, no?  so, one, reviews for the casual viewer may matter, but that viewer is part of the 50/50 who are prob the most hesitant with movies.  two, you underestimate just how broad and interesting this cast is, angelina jolie, salma, john snow, robb stark, kunal....they have like ridiculous broad appeal, plus the representation -- all of this is for non marvel usual goers - add Zhao to the list,  3, with immense, and i mean IMMENSE good will from 25 films and 3 huge shows in 13 years -- fringe marvel people for the above reasons are in out of curiousity.  4, marvel's audience of watchers who want to follow story and see a new one being untold for their own curiosity in the theater - its not small, its huge.  very huge.  they prob wont wait 60 days.  5, it doesnt mean shit if it flops - it wont - if it doesnt do gangbusters --- at this stage in the game you take risks, if u win, awesome, if u dont, awesome bc u risked and u LEARN.  

and thank you RT for now lowering my expectations and this being an actually surprise winner in audience's eyes...hmmm....i wonder if the prescient Mr. Feige, smarter than anyone on this forum, understands this.  well played.  

MCU is soooo successful it can fail 5x in a row and it will still be amazing and has so many amazing stories and characters in their vault (not like irrelevant DCEU) i welcome more chance turns, more risks, and cant wait for the X universe to get reignited.  

As someone who was a marvel nerd in the last golden age - 90s - avengers, FF, GTOG, and most of what they released were not popular, not huge sellers, and nothing compared to X-u name it which dominated 7/ top ten slots (i also collected a magazine wizard which ranked comics based on sales) and spidey the rest with some randoms coming in.  

This is already a hit.  I bet audience scores will mis-align with critics.  Personally, Zhao is not a director like the others id have chosen but as long as this isnt the most disappointing comic book film in history - Ang Lee's Hulk --- thank god.  that was just boring

the cast alone is worth price of admission.  all will be just fine.  Thur night and Friday in DFW is all busier than NTTD, SC and Venom so lets see how this performs.  We are lucky we are getting these films in still uncertain times with 1.5k people dying in the bloody USA every day.  count ur damn blessings and get realistic and for love of god, have some depth in your "analytical" thinking of box office, critics reviews, and what it all means in the life cycle of the product.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

I must've missed the episode where Diana cried alone in the dark for 60 years over the death of a guy she knew for a few days, then used a stranger's body to have sex and do incredibly dangerous stuff without his consent, only agreeing to give the man his body and free will back when it became clear it was the only way to save the world.

You may have a point but an episode in which

Spoiler

Diana must save the world from a magic wishing stone wielded by I Can't Believe Its Not Trump does sound like something from that series.

Edited by Yandereprime101189