ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

9 minutes ago, Goosellations said:

I find a lot of people on this forum are so funny.  very very misguided.  this is about box office, no?  so, one, reviews for the casual viewer may matter, but that viewer is part of the 50/50 who are prob the most hesitant with movies.  two, you underestimate just how broad and interesting this cast is, angelina jolie, salma, john snow, robb stark, kunal....they have like ridiculous broad appeal, plus the representation -- all of this is for non marvel usual goers - add Zhao to the list,  3, with immense, and i mean IMMENSE good will from 25 films and 3 huge shows in 13 years -- fringe marvel people for the above reasons are in out of curiousity.  4, marvel's audience of watchers who want to follow story and see a new one being untold for their own curiosity in the theater - its not small, its huge.  very huge.  they prob wont wait 60 days.  5, it doesnt mean shit if it flops - it wont - if it doesnt do gangbusters --- at this stage in the game you take risks, if u win, awesome, if u dont, awesome bc u risked and u LEARN.  

and thank you RT for now lowering my expectations and this being an actually surprise winner in audience's eyes...hmmm....i wonder if the prescient Mr. Feige, smarter than anyone on this forum, understands this.  well played.  

MCU is soooo successful it can fail 5x in a row and it will still be amazing and has so many amazing stories and characters in their vault (not like irrelevant DCEU) i welcome more chance turns, more risks, and cant wait for the X universe to get reignited.  

As someone who was a marvel nerd in the last golden age - 90s - avengers, FF, GTOG, and most of what they released were not popular, not huge sellers, and nothing compared to X-u name it which dominated 7/ top ten slots (i also collected a magazine wizard which ranked comics based on sales) and spidey the rest with some randoms coming in.  

This is already a hit.  I bet audience scores will mis-align with critics.  Personally, Zhao is not a director like the others id have chosen but as long as this isnt the most disappointing comic book film in history - Ang Lee's Hulk --- thank god.  that was just boring

the cast alone is worth price of admission.  all will be just fine.  Thur night and Friday in DFW is all busier than NTTD, SC and Venom so lets see how this performs.  We are lucky we are getting these films in still uncertain times with 1.5k people dying in the bloody USA every day.  count ur damn blessings and get realistic and for love of god, have some depth in your "analytical" thinking of box office, critics reviews, and what it all means in the life cycle of the product.  

dTcAHZc.jpg

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Also I think most of the reviews (almost all) so far have been American critics. Let's see how INT critics respond because MCU get good reviews in Asia, otherwise from western critics it is doomed to be rotten.

It seems France and Italy reviews are mostly positive. When will the first primer in Asia start? I don't know.

Edited by Danhjpn

2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

This is shaping up to be Marvel's WW84 - though I liked WW84 (It's essentially a big budget version of the 70s series) so I still have hope with this.

If it fails, Marvel Studios will recover. They got the Hawkeye series and  Spider-man on the horizon - then next year will be nuts - Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Thor. . .the various TV shows (especially Ms. Marvel, which I'm willing to bet will be the biggest hit). Also, apparently it's so heavily stand alone (save for the credit scenes), that they could seemingly course correct fast and treat it like Incredible Hulk.

Still . . perhaps they should have not tried to make a big budget arthouse film and did Inhumans instead - Lockjaw would have made them bankkkkk . . .

Lol WW84 was like a bad Hallmark movie. Eternals doesn't look half as bad as that.

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

What I've seen here in reaction to Eternals is so damn MILD compared to what used to happen on here and I'm honestly surprised.  I started reading and posting on the site again for the first time in over a year recently due to covid and I don't know if there were mod changes or if its because a bunch of the old regulars quit(there are a bunch of names I no longer see here), but this place is comically tame compared to what it used to be(maybe even to a fault) when it comes to any kind of drama or people dancing on films stumbling with critics or audiences.  And honestly, sometimes it was entertaining depending on the movie.

For better and worse, Marvel has been by far the most powerful brand in entertainment for well over 10 years now.  The IP is so strong now that everyone involved with Eternals will be fine.  Its not like Eternals stumbling is harmful to the industry or any of the talent involved in the way that The Last Duel, a legitimately great film, utterly bombing with a pathetic 4.7m OW is.

Yup, a few years ago this kind of reception for an MCU movie would have garnered a much bigger meltdown on here. Now it’s muted resignation.

Perhaps it helps that no-one has an emotional investment in these characters, but after after 287 marvel films I guess it’s just hard to keep that fever-pitch going.

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Why did they let the embargo break so early? This will only hurt rather than help the movie. Maybe marvel was overconfident. For the first time Kevin Feige must be feeling stupid. Just hope it does well enough at the box office. 

nope hes smarter than you and me and everyone on this forum.  #winning

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

It's just funny to me that we went from Oscar talks to Rotten discussion. Letting go of that formula for once and it all crumbles. 

What is the reaction or reviews for the movie in Asia so far? Was there any primer for this movie in there yet? 

Recent superhero movies under 60 MC: (Even WW84 is at 60)

2021: Venom Let There Be Carnage- 48

2021: Snyder Cut- 54

2020: The New Mutants- 43

2019: Joker- 59

2019: Dark Phoenix- 43

2018: Aquaman- 55

2018: Venom- 35

2017: Justice League- 45

2016: Suicide Squad- 40

2016: X-Men Apocalypse- 52

2016: BVS- 44

2015: Fantastic Four- 27

2014: The Amazing Spiderman 2- 53

2013: Thor The Dark World- 54

2013: Man of Steel- 55

2012: Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance- 34

2011: Green Lantern- 39

2011: Thor- 57

2010: Iron Man 2- 57

2010: Jonah Hex- 33

-----

2009: Wolverine Origins- 40

2009: Watchmen- 56

2008: Punisher Warzone- 30

2007: Fantastic 4 and Rise of Silver Surfer- 45

2007: Spiderman 3- 57

2007: Ghost Rider- 35

2006: XMen The Last Stand- 58

It's interesting Eternals (56) is same range as the Snyder DC films and Joker

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

55 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Also I think most of the reviews (almost all) so far have been American critics. Let's see how INT critics respond because MCU get good reviews in Asia, otherwise from western critics it is doomed to be rotten.

Just noticed that RT is mostly America critics in USA? 

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Yup, a few years ago this kind of reception for an MCU movie would have garnered a much bigger meltdown on here. Now it’s muted resignation.

Perhaps it helps that no-one has an emotional investment in these characters, but after after 287 marvel films I guess it’s just hard to keep that fever-pitch going.

We have 4 movies and 4 shows (not including Venom 2) and that's one thing about the MCU: even if they drop the ball or underwhelm, the perpetual hype machine is such that you don't have that much time to dwell negatively before the next thing comes. Hawkeye comes out Thanksgiving. Spider-Man 3 Take 2 at Xmas. Let's say (just for argument's sake) they get good/OK "this is better" spectrum of reviews. I remember Ant-Man coming along and because people wrote it off because Film Twitter God Edgar Wright dropped out, it surprised many people and that took focus away from AOU being a disappointment for many fans. 

23 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Recent superhero movies under 60 MC: (Even WW84 is at 60)

2021: Venom Let There Be Carnage- 48

2021: Snyder Cut- 54

2020: The New Mutants- 43

2019: Joker- 59

2019: Dark Phoenix- 43

2018: Aquaman- 55

2018: Venom- 35

2017: Justice League- 45

2016: Suicide Squad- 40

2016: X-Men Apocalypse- 52

2016: BVS- 44

2015: Fantastic Four- 27

2014: The Amazing Spiderman 2- 53

2013: Thor The Dark World- 54

2013: Man of Steel- 55

2012: Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance- 34

2011: Green Lantern- 39

2011: Thor- 57

2010: Iron Man 2- 57

2010: Jonah Hex- 33

-----

2009: Wolverine Origins- 40

2009: Watchmen- 56

2008: Punisher Warzone- 30

2007: Fantastic 4 and Rise of Silver Surfer- 45

2007: Spiderman 3- 57

2007: Ghost Rider- 35

2006: XMen The Last Stand- 58

It's interesting Eternals (56) is same range as the Snyder DC films and Joker

WW84 also has a good % of top critics on RT (71%), it seems that bigger sites and magazines liked the film, but smaller sites, youtubers and etc didn't (maybe they saw it at home on HBO Max, maybe if they had seen it on a big screen ,  reviews would have been better).

Edited by Marcos12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goosellations said:

I find a lot of people on this forum are so funny.  very very misguided.  this is about box office, no?  so, one, reviews for the casual viewer may matter, but that viewer is part of the 50/50 who are prob the most hesitant with movies.  two, you underestimate just how broad and interesting this cast is, angelina jolie, salma, john snow, robb stark, kunal....they have like ridiculous broad appeal, plus the representation -- all of this is for non marvel usual goers - add Zhao to the list,  3, with immense, and i mean IMMENSE good will from 25 films and 3 huge shows in 13 years -- fringe marvel people for the above reasons are in out of curiousity.  4, marvel's audience of watchers who want to follow story and see a new one being untold for their own curiosity in the theater - its not small, its huge.  very huge.  they prob wont wait 60 days.  5, it doesnt mean shit if it flops - it wont - if it doesnt do gangbusters --- at this stage in the game you take risks, if u win, awesome, if u dont, awesome bc u risked and u LEARN.  

and thank you RT for now lowering my expectations and this being an actually surprise winner in audience's eyes...hmmm....i wonder if the prescient Mr. Feige, smarter than anyone on this forum, understands this.  well played.  

MCU is soooo successful it can fail 5x in a row and it will still be amazing and has so many amazing stories and characters in their vault (not like irrelevant DCEU) i welcome more chance turns, more risks, and cant wait for the X universe to get reignited.  

As someone who was a marvel nerd in the last golden age - 90s - avengers, FF, GTOG, and most of what they released were not popular, not huge sellers, and nothing compared to X-u name it which dominated 7/ top ten slots (i also collected a magazine wizard which ranked comics based on sales) and spidey the rest with some randoms coming in.  

This is already a hit.  I bet audience scores will mis-align with critics.  Personally, Zhao is not a director like the others id have chosen but as long as this isnt the most disappointing comic book film in history - Ang Lee's Hulk --- thank god.  that was just boring

the cast alone is worth price of admission.  all will be just fine.  Thur night and Friday in DFW is all busier than NTTD, SC and Venom so lets see how this performs.  We are lucky we are getting these films in still uncertain times with 1.5k people dying in the bloody USA every day.  count ur damn blessings and get realistic and for love of god, have some depth in your "analytical" thinking of box office, critics reviews, and what it all means in the life cycle of the product.  

mucho texto

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Lol WW84 was like a bad Hallmark movie. Eternals doesn't look half as bad as that.

WW84 is a mess but "bad Hallmark movie" is a tad harsh. It reminded me of Iron Man 2 in terms of lacking focus and struggling to find a reason to exist beyond "make more money/sell toys." (I mean all these movies exist for that, but when they're inspired/entertaining we glance over that fact.) Like that picture, WW84 you still have magic between Gadot and Pine (Gadot suffers without him, much like RDJ is always RDJ at Marvel but he's always better with Paltrow.) Jenkins clearly (which I respect to a point) wanted to do a Silver Age sorta story, which would roll with the morality play/fairy tale nature of superheroes. That's the movie that for better or worse she wanted to do. Does it work? Not really but I appreciated the idea of the climax with the Maxwell Lord stuff...except before that you have the Cheetah fight (she exists just so Diana can punch somebody, much like Whiplash in IM2) and everybody watching that feels "OK lets get this formula obligation out of the way" instead of YEAH KICK HER ASS! like these good kinds of movies can do. Like with IM2 where I think Favreau liked the idea of a dude facing his mortality and his riches/smarts/tech not able to solve this problem and he's not dealing with it well, but then he has to figure out "ok where can our hero clobber the villain and dispatch him?" and "how can I set up Avengers/Black Widow?" Could IM2 (or WW84 for that matter) have served multiple masters and made it all or at least most of it work? Yeah sure, but they didn't. 

I could imagine WW84 and Eternals sharing many of the same issues. Mainly, overplotting. WW84 is just treacherously plotted with so much focus on the villain and the wish. By the time Steve Trevor arrives (which we're supposed to believe without question), it's already been so longwinded. Lacked the magic economy of the first, though I'm sure the jet scene would have looked swell on big screen.

Anyway, Eternals currently had 6.0 RT average... same as WW84 which is 58%