ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I heard it could be a French mistranslation and that it just means global blockbuster. I have a hard time seeing a studio release a blockbuster in a film fest 4 whole months before its release date. I think it's Old.

Yeah, the spoilers would run rampant. I don't think it's OLD...that's not a blockbuster

I see some people suggesting Space Jam. Nobody outside US cares about that one

Edited by Maggie

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yeah, the spoilers would run rampant. I don't think it's OLD...that's not a blockbuster

A blockbuster doesn't have a definite meaning and it's harder to tell what a person who speaks a different language means. I'd say any major summer release would be considered a blockbuster. Outside of the summer, I could also see it be West Side Story or Cry Macho (Clint Eastwood is huge in France).

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Outside of the summer, I could also see it be West Side Story or Cry Macho (Clint Eastwood is huge in France).

WSS is a December release. It's too far in advance to premiere in July. Of course, they wouldn't care about spoilers seeing it's a remake

45 minutes ago, Maggie said:

According to Deadline, Dune is pretty much locked for Venice

Eternals fits right too, and is expected to enter the award season, but honestly i'll be very surprised with Marvel accepting to premiere the movie 4 months before the release.

This year is a presential festival so it won't leak, but spoilers can be a problem.

Maybe they just made confusion and it's global blockbuster (which could be any movie) and not planetary blockbuster.

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

WSS is a December release. It's too far in advance to premiere in July. Of course, they wouldn't care about spoilers seeing it's a remake

Yeah, it's almost certainly going to be a summer release that's going to premiere here.

Edited by lorddemaxus

I agree with planetary = global. It's a bad translation, nothing more. Dune is locked for Venice cause WB opened Joker there so they want to repeat the success (though Joker didn't have James Bond a week after its theatrical opening and Venom 2 still in its second or third week of release or Halloween 2 weeks later).  Space Jam 2 doesn't sound like something that would delight festival audiences lmao! Eternals, no way, too early and it's an Earth-bound movie anyway going by the teaser footage.

Edited by Valonqar

yeah. I don't see Marvel doing that 4 months before release.

and even tho there's little award buzz, I'm sure Marvel care about their brand, commercial success over that little buzz.

the chance of Eternals being serious award contender is very very low.. 

You're forgetting the most logical and obvious option here:

BLACK WIDOW. 

Spoilers won't be an issue because it officially opens that week, Friday, July 9th.  CANNES is set to begin Tuesday, July 6th -- they want to open the festival with a splash to create buzz again after this troubled past year.  WIDOW includes an award-nominated/winning international cast known to the Cannes/international audience, including the rising/acclaimed Vanessa Kirby, Rachel Weiss, and of course Scarlett Johanssen.  Who wouldn't pass up the opportunity to invite these three beauties together for a red carpet premiere??  Also, Australian director Cate Shortland's 2004 feature premiered at Cannes and was entered into the "Un Certain Regard" category at Cannes that year (prestigious).  Cannes gets mainstream global headlines, Marvel/Disney get Cannes attention -- It's a win-win for everyone involved.  

Having said that, I'm willing to bet Thierry also might have discussed ETERNALS and DUNE with their respective studios.  Both are from award-nominated global directors and both have certain awards buzz already.  I was lucky enough to first attend Cannes in 2019, and experienced an impromptu appearance from Thierry at one of the pavilions on the wonderful beaches there.  He believes in quality, of course, but he also understands the value of attention-getting films that will always keep the Cannes Film Festival in the headlines as the *premiere* film destination of the year. 

Edited by Macleod

16 hours ago, Maggie said:

You could not be more wrong. Space Jam is a classic here

On 5/20/2021 at 2:40 PM, Valonqar said:

I agree with planetary = global. It's a bad translation, nothing more. Dune is locked for Venice cause WB opened Joker there so they want to repeat the success (though Joker didn't have James Bond a week after its theatrical opening and Venom 2 still in its second or third week of release or Halloween 2 weeks later).  Space Jam 2 doesn't sound like something that would delight festival audiences lmao! Eternals, no way, too early and it's an Earth-bound movie anyway going by the teaser footage.

Seem to be making opposite arguments here. If it's a mistranslation why would it being based on earth matter?