ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Unverified is the opposite of accurate. 

At least with Verified, you know the voter has actually seen the film, without any agenda.

I would say WW84 44% unverified score is a much more accurate representation then its 73% verified for example.

And just because its verified doesnt mean anything about a person not having an agenda so that's an odd comment. 

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • ...wtf 2

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Why would Zhao's involvement hurt the film's reception? I can't think of any other director that would be more primed for good reviews all other things being equal.

Maybe people are looking at it backwards: many mediocre MCU movies should have had worse reviews in the first place, on par with this and not making it an outlier.

Some critics probably think that Zhao had "sold out" by making a big budget CBM, betraying her Indie roots.

4 hours ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Moderation

Guys, it's not even noon on the East Coast. It's way too early for this whole "Critics are evil! Critics are out to get this! Audiences love it, critics hate it!" kind of nonsense.

I fully expected this to happen. In the end, it ijust a bunch of fnaboys whining "How dare peoplle not like something I like

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

it sucks that eternals got banned in some countries but most fans seem to like it, so much for the first rotten mcu film :rofl:.  

critics reviews for blockbusters continue to be meaningless.

And t think a lot of fanboys opinions on any film that is not a "geek" film are meaningless.

The  comtempt for anybody who is not a fanboy is one of the worst aspect of what fandom has become in recent years.

4 hours ago, Menor said:

It is meaningful since general audience WOM is meh. I sense there will be a disconnect between the MCU fanbase and general audiences for this.

I tend to agree. You have a problem in that fans always wildly overestimate their numbers.

With a Nine Million buck preview, clear the reviews did not impact the box office much..at least for the openiing weekdne.

How long until we get the usual conspiracy theory about  how critics were bribed to attack this film?

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

I would say WW84 44% unverified score is a much more accurate representation then its 73% verified for example.

And just because its verified doesnt mean anything about a person not having an agenda so that's an odd comment. 

Why would you say that? Because you didn’t like it? I don’t know why folks have to continue to bring up WW84. As far as critics, I think both movies will probably have people believe they didn’t deserve their rottens. Looks like fans may like Eternals more than WW84 (MCU’s huge fan base helps with that) and critics hated Eternals more than they did WW84. All subjective and that’s why we should all judge for ourselves. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Verified audience has a strong correlation with Cinemascore, while the unverified one didn't. Verified is better. I don't see how whether a score aligns with your perception of the film is relevant. Plenty of people did enjoy WW84.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

Verified audience has a strong correlation with Cinemascore, while the unverified one didn't. Verified is better. I don't see how whether a score aligns with your perception of the film is relevant. Plenty of people did enjoy WW84.

Plenty of people enjoy every movie ever made.

But I don't see how anybody who does not have  huge fanboy blinders on could deny that WW84 dissaponted a lot of people,...with Warners Stockholders among the most dissapointed.

Sadly,we are seeing of pure tribalism in this thread. it's all about hating the other guy.

too many "fans" have such thin skins. They cannot stand to to see whatever the hell is it they are fans of being criticised. They have a lot of growing up to do.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Plenty of people enjoy every movie ever made.

But I don't see how anybody who does not have  huge fanboy blinders on could deny that WW84 dissaponted a lot of people,...with Warners Stockholders among the most dissapointed.

Sadly,we are seeing of pure tribalism in this thread. it's all about hating the other guy.

too many "fans" have such thin skins. They cannot stand to to see whatever the hell is it they are fans of being criticised. They have a lot of growing up to do.

I don’t think Warner stockholders were disappointed. WW84 was a smash for HBOMAX. It helped put it on the streaming map.

I think the blinders cuts both ways. People who hated something like to think everyone should hate it too. 

In any event, I think if we continue on this track, the mods will scold us. Ultimately, we have a movie here that appears to be  a creative and new vibe for the MCU. Maybe it’s going to take critics and audiences time to warm to it. Some people love the the same formula and if there is any departure from that, it kind of shakes them up. 

• Like 1

It's the first time that a Marvel movie stay with me for so long after I see it. Not even IW, which i absolutely love, stayed so much with me.

And fuck Ikaris is such a fantastic character. Probably the most complex and layered in this universe, next to Wanda. And Madden was absolutely phenomenal.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Why would you say that? Because you didn’t like it? I don’t know why folks have to continue to bring up WW84. As far as critics, I think both movies will probably have people believe they didn’t deserve their rottens. Looks like fans may like Eternals more than WW84 (MCU’s huge fan base helps with that) and critics hated Eternals more than they did WW84. All subjective and that’s why we should all judge for ourselves. 

Because literally everywhere on the internet the film was ripped to shreds for how bad it was, and every single person I know also didnt like it.

The amount of people that liked WW84 from all accounts is in the minority.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

54 minutes ago, Menor said:

And what about when unverified didnt exist for the majority of the time?

1 minute ago, Dominic Draper said:

Because literally everywhere on the internet the film was ripped to shreds for how bad it was, and every single person I know also didnt like it.

The amount of people that liked WW84 from all accounts is in the minority.

I don’t think we want to get into a majority v. minority argument based on your anecdotal evidence. Maybe you visit places on the net that confirm your priors? Maybe your friends think like you? RT verified score for WW84 is 73%. RT overall critics rating is 58%, so a majority of critics were fresh. The average top critic score on RT IS 71%. Metacritic score is 60. Even the low IMDB score of 5.4 which is slightly greater than 5/10. So I would disagree that a majority of people hated it. I think the movie was divisive with passion on both sides. 

Okay, this is my last post about WW84. I don’t want to get yelled at by the mods. Let’s talk about this movie, shall we? 

• Like 1

WW84:

Budget 200 Million.

World wide Gorss:165 MIllion.

And a film has to make at least twice its budget to just break even,since the studio only gets when everything is factored in, roughly 50 to 55% of the ticket price.

And I don't think streaming revenues made up the difference.

It's fine to like WW84, but don't pretend it was a big box office and popular sucess, It just plain was'nt.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Usually verified is better, but there is an incredibly obvious self-selection issue with using the "I bought a ticket" score for hybrid releases -- most people who watched it did do without buying a ticket. Unverified is probably better for hybrid releases, and the ww84 unverified seems closer to actual reception.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Just because it suits your opinion, doesn’t make it right. 

Verified is obviously more reliable, internet trolls and people that haven’t even seen the film can’t review it. 

73% verified lines up with its 71% from Top Critics. 

Funny that WW84 is still being brought up, 

Eternals is now closer to other superhero films in the 40% range, you could start comparing to them instead ;) 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I don’t think we want to get into a majority v. minority argument based on your anecdotal evidence. Maybe you visit places on the net that confirm your priors? Maybe your friends think like you? RT verified score for WW84 is 73%. RT overall critics rating is 58%, so a majority of critics were fresh. The average top critic score on RT IS 71%. Metacritic score is 60. Even the low IMDB score of 5.4 which is slightly greater than 5/10. So I would disagree that a majority of people hated it. I think the movie was divisive with passion on both sides. 

Okay, this is my last post about WW84. I don’t want to get yelled at by the mods. Let’s talk about this movie, shall we? 

The IMDB score is the lowest of any modern DC film. Its below stuff like BVS and suicide squad. The unverified RT audience score is lower than those. Its letterboxed score is 2.4, lower than those. Its MC audience score is lower than those. It had the same cinemascore as the first SS.

I mean, your basically clinging to the heavily flawed metric of a verified audience score of a movie that was available on streaming day 1 and the only people that would go see WW84 in theatres during a very worse time in the time in the pandemic would be the biggest fans.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just because it suits your opinion, doesn’t make it right. 

Verified is obviously more reliable, internet trolls and people that haven’t even seen the film can’t review it. 

73% verified lines up with its 71% from Top Critics. 

Funny that WW84 is still being brought up, 

Eternals is now closer to other superhero films in the 40% range, you could start comparing to them instead ;) 

Verified is more reliable for a film where the vast majority of people didnt watch it in theatre and thus couldnt access that? 

2 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Verified is more reliable for a film where the vast majority of people didnt watch it in theatre and thus couldnt access that? 

Verified is for… people who see the film in cinemas. So yes.

I’m moving on now because this isn’t the WW84 thread. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

In my opinion none of these scores are accurate in terms of representing the true sentiment of the entire audience. I don't know why people want to simplify something that for me seems very hard to measure. Time will tell which movies actually have a place in people's hearts and which don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Moderation

ENOUGH

Not the Wonder Woman 1984 thread. Not the RT thread. Not the "verified audience" thread. None of that crap. If you can't help yourself with talking about this stuff, then leave, because I'm not taking this anymore. I'm coming down with a fever, and I really don't want to deal with this stuff on top of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1