ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

4 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I refuse to believe this is worse than Black Widow. I have to assume this is backlash to the "MCU BP contender" talk, that gave critics very high expectaations.

I think you are onto something. I wouldn't call it a backlash but they were told, as we all did, to expect super high standard, and it wasn't met at least according to these early reviews. It's really a miscalculation on Marvel part. I get that they were enthusiastic but they also mastered the game of lowballing in order to claim overperformance. They got too carried away with this. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RRA said:

Or just general MCU backlash because that’s the Cinema Anti-Christ at the moment and hey this is their first real opponent to take them down a peg or two?

I am waiting for eventual NWH praise even if it's worst CBM of the year. Jon Watts has something on the critics 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

There were some people saying it's so under Shang-Chi now.

Only a couple of users but I think most people here will understand Eternals will easily open above Shang Chi unless we see the presales take a nose dive. 

I do also think there is a bit of anti-MCU sentiment going around (at least in Film Twitter) which look all opinions are subjective but a bit odd considering Shang Chi literally saved NA Cinemas in the backhalf of this year. 

Let's just be reasonable and admit it's getting more mixed reviews than your average MCU Film while also acknowledge it is still mostly positive.

• Like 7

Just now, Madhuvan said:

I am waiting for eventual NWH praise even if it's worst CBM of the year. Jon Watts has something on the critics 

yeah he just makes great movies regardless of what you or i or anyonelse thinks the scores speak for themselves.

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Only a couple of users but I think most people here will understand Eternals will easily open above Shang Chi unless we see the presales take a nose dive. 

I do also think there is a bit of anti-MCU sentiment going around (at least in Film Twitter) which look all opinions are subjective but a bit odd considering Shang Chi literally saved NA Cinemas in the backhalf of this year. 

Let's just be reasonable and admit it's getting more mixed reviews than your average MCU Film while also acknowledge it is still mostly positive.

Anti-MCU sentiment will only grow stronger from now on. 13 yrs and going strong has made industry shook. No brand has ever achieved this. Backlash was inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Lake said:

NuO1jd4.jpg 

As if she of all people understands what Feige's game is, what the vision of the movie was, what "the assignment" was (whatever that means), and anything about how to translate art into commercial product.   

Will probably take a break on discussing this one outside of BO-related contexts until the release. Reviews definitely below what I expected, which is disappointing. Still, there's enough positive elements mentioned that I'm still hopeful I will enjoy it a lot more than the critics, like I did movies such as The Phantom Menace/Attack of the Clones which received a lot of similar complaints. 

• Like 1

I can already see the "Too many villains and character to juggle" "Too cramped" critic reviews coming for NWH. I am by no means expecting NWH to get a good critic scores but this movie is a celebration, an event, for the fans. And that's all that matters to me anyways. As long as the Spidey fans have a great time, that's good.

Edited by Momori

Like I said before, the PR hype of the film was very annoying and raised expectations. Chloe Zhao directing also was a reason to think it would have strong reviews. But the script and overall scope leaves a lot to be desired and it didn’t reach those heights 

Shang-Chi, meanwhile, was an underdog. It took critics by surprise. Black Widow was years late and a standard MCU so those reviews were always happening 

• Like 1

NWH is critic-proof, considering what's in the movie, it's almost impossible for it to get bad WOM. Will almost certainly be better received than Eternals, unless Eternals really surprises with WOM somehow. Shang-Chi is a taller target though, at least in the West, but I expect NWH to have the best WW reception considering it will probably be better received in Asia. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Anti-MCU sentiment will only grow stronger from now on. 13 yrs and going strong has made industry shook. No brand has ever achieved this. Backlash was inevitable. 

Exactly and fair enough especially those who have jumped off the MCU train. Btw I don't think this is the main reason why Eternals is getting the reviews it is but I'm just saying the sentiment is definitely around much more now than say 2019 when Endgame came out. 

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Under 200 Dom off of lukewarm-at-worst consensus? I don't buy it.

It wouldn't require under 200m.  SC is already at 221m and should settle in the 230s (thinking about 235m right now).

I don't think Eternals is going sub 240m, but that wasn't the argument here.

• Like 2