ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

1 minute ago, Coldbird said:

you guys cant be serious with "anti-mcu" sentiment, movies like Black Widow which are seen as mediocre by the fanbase has a like 80% on rt. Several reviews are critizing it but are still positive because its "atleast something new for marvel".

There's no anti-MCU sentiment. Eternals simply didn't meet the lofty expectations that studio set with their hype. All other movies that had lower expectations came off better because expectations met/exceeded even if they were very low >>>>>> expectations not met. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

i mean ok but  i cant understand if he didnt liked it bc he thought it wasnt good ? or bc it wasnt a good chloe zhao movie ? 

Basically he's saying Zhao can and should be making much more interesting films than this.

7 minutes ago, Coldbird said:

you guys cant be serious with "anti-mcu" sentiment, movies like Black Widow which are seen as mediocre by the fanbase has a like 80% on rt. Several reviews are critizing it but are still positive because its "atleast something new for marvel".

Oh come on. Film Twitters definitely been harder on this than other Marvel films.

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i mean that shouldnt matter, did he enjoy the movie at the end of the day ? if yes then that what should matter

Art matters. If you value art and artists beyond their commercial parameters, you want people like Zhao to keep making great art...and they simply won't be able to do that toiling away within the MCU system.  It's a different commercial reality.  

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i mean that shouldnt matter, did he enjoy the movie at the end of the day ? if yes then that what should matter

It is in fact possible to like a movie while also thinking it should have been better or more interesting. Analysis and film criticism isn't a binary "It is good/It is bad" kind of deal.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's no anti-MCU sentiment. Eternals simply didn't meet the lofty expectations that studio set with their hype. All other movies that had lower expectations came off better because expectations met/exceeded even if they were very low >>>>>> expectations not met. 

technically marvel didn't set the bar.

it was chloe Zhao's name and fans/haters/critics, all of them did most with whole oscar talk and cinema discussion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

It is in fact possible to like a movie while also thinking it should have been better or more interesting. Analysis and film criticism isn't a binary "It is good/It is bad" kind of deal.

oh i agree with that, just confused why he had it rotten

I do think Marvel must be careful with these gigantic movies.

Eternals overall is more toward positive so far despite a bit divisive, but No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness are also gigantic in scope, it can get real messy. IW and EG was planned for years, now they're moving quickly with the multiverse, could be a problem.

I do think both will get good reception because the huge fan services should be enough to make overall critics pleased, even if top critics dislike, but they must be careful.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Art matters. If you value art and artists beyond their commercial parameters, you want people like Zhao to keep making great art...and they simply won't be able to do that toiling away within the MCU system.  It's a different commercial reality.  

This is kinda making it sound like she's slaving away for evil Marvel...she came in and pitched the movie! She wanted to make this. 

• Like 8

Y'all should have known this was gonna happen once that talk about Zhao being attached to a SW film surfaced a while back.

SW Curse Strikes Again.  smdh, just shmdh. :sadno: :sadno: :sadno: 

(yes, this is a joke, and one mostly at my own [fandom's] expense)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Well he thinks there's a much lower standard to be interesting on an MCU-curve than there is to be on a Zhao-curve. Since the critics get to decide whether their review is listed as rotten or fresh on RT, I'm gonna assume he didn't like the film. Unless of course if it changes soon to a fresh. If it does, we'll know RT were too premature and the critic stepped in to correct it.

• Like 1

Film Criticism *used* to be about using art as the basis of analysis for what it represents and what it could signal in history, culture, the populace.  The best film critics can encourage their readers to think more deeply about why this art matters, what it's doing to us, and where it can go further.  If all you look to a critic for is "whether they enjoyed it or not," then why don't you just decide yourself, as so many armchair fans like to say these days?  I ended up coming out of a big franchise entry a few years back and writing 5000 words about it, even though I, like many others, had *very* mixed feelings about it.  But that's where genre can get interesting...the fractures, the unsettlements, the twists and turns of familiar elements.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

This is kinda making it sound like she's slaving away for evil Marvel...she came in and pitched the movie! She wanted to make this. 

And?  It's still a different commercial and artistic reality.  

34 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

sure Marvel is anti-cinema yet the top 3 movies at the domestic box office this year are Marvel movies. how can they be anti-cinema when they alone made people spend 600M+ on movie tickets in the past 3 months.

That says more about general auidence.