ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

1 hour ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Feige will react based upon audience and personal reception, not critics. As always. As is smart.

Kinda hard to make this distinction when typically audiences and critics are in synch when it comes to MCU films.

I can't think of too many Venom scenarios where audiences and critics were on a different page. 

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Just a reminder that The Last Duel had a phenomenal rebound with reviews. Started with 67% on RT and low 6.something average almost flirting with 5 but ended with 85% and 7.3 average. This year had a number of RT roller-coasters. Wasn't Venom 2 flirting with certified fresh then with rotten and finally settled at 60%? 

It's too early. But one thing seems certain - Papa Feige's Oscah dream is over. :sadfleck:

Yes, but no one went to see Last Duel either way. . .so outside of potential awards, it'll be largely forgotten by this time next year. Marvel's first potential dud since The Incredible Hulk won't aford such luxury.

Eternals will either pick up or not. I've always been interested in it, but it's based on a comic barely anyone knows about (which is what Marvel Studios excels at, but in this case, Eternals may have well been an underground indie comic) and it looks so vastly different. 

Looking vastly different can be a good thing. . .but it can also be a bad thing when audiences go "That doesn't look like it's gonna be fun. . " 

It still stands out to me more than Dune. . .

Edited by Yandereprime101189

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Kinda hard to make this distinction when typically audiences and critics are in synch when it comes to MCU films.

I can't think of too many Venom scenarios where audiences and critics were on a different page. 

Captain Marvel disagrees.

5 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Captain Marvel disagrees.

I can't be certain 100% that CM wasn't review bombed because certain people hate the main actress for political reasons.

In other words, it's not the best example. 

Edited by grey ghost
  • Thanks 1

It’s true that generally the critic and audience sentiment on mcu movies overall correlate pretty well, but if you look at the aspects of the movies that critics like vs the aspects that audiences do I think it’s clear which Kevin is more responsive to.

Ok finally caught up. TBF the 2nd trailer did leave me blech but promos after that have been solid, so that's what I am expecting from film.

One of the most important thing from MCU is the big picture narrative of universe. If they are expositing their way out of it to set things in order, I don't mind at all. Just set it right. That seems like the main problem reading the last pages.

21 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Wait I just realized the thread title, was this really being hyped up as an Oscar contender? LOL

See that first recommended post at the top?  It was made for a reason.

(click on it and then backtrack for about five or ten pages to see the context)

Definitely the worst MCU movie I've seen in ages. Was a surprisingly dull movie to watch in my opinion. The performances were okay I guess and some nice use of light in some scenes (Zhao's handiwork only pops up there and in the restrained dialogue). The plot felt overcomplicated while feeling incoherent. Meh. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Astonished 5
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Definitely the worst MCU movie I've seen in ages. Was a surprisingly dull movie to watch in my opinion. The performances were okay I guess and some nice use of light in some scenes (Zhao's handiwork only pops up there and in the restrained dialogue). The plot felt overcomplicated while feeling incoherent. Meh. 

The one review that matters. Congratulations SC on keeping the DOM crown :sarah:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

BTW Disney is brave to put in LGBT characters in a big MCU movie. @charlie Jatinder would they cut all those scenes to open in say middle east where MCU movies are strong. How about India?

I'm not Charlie, but I'd imagine the movie would either A) Be blocked from release in quite a few countries or B ) Get a mature rating like Eternals did in Russia. 

It'd be financially beneficial for Marvel and Disney to have two cuts of such movies.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

I'm not Charlie, but I'd imagine the movie would either A) Be blocked from release in quite a few countries or B ) Get a mature rating like Eternals did in Russia. 

It'd be financially beneficial for Marvel and Disney to have two cuts of such movies.

If they do this, can they stop diversity baiting?