ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

BTW Disney is brave to put in LGBT characters in a big MCU movie. @charlie Jatinder would they cut all those scenes to open in say middle east where MCU movies are strong. How about India?

Can't say about Middle East. @lorddemaxus may know better.

In India, its legal now, and the kiss in IT 2 & TRoS weren't cut so shouldn't be cut but I guess most of these scenes are just for sake of it without any impact on story, so may be...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Let There Be Legion said:

To be clear, it is possible that audiences hate this and it doesn’t get a sequel and we never see Zhao in the MCU again and all the characters quietly fade away. Can’t be ruled out yet. But that is, ahhh…. not the historically supported presumption.   

And in either case, reacting to like 70% RT instead of just waiting a dozen days to see the real reception is some rather extreme cart-before-the-horse.

The characters wouldn’t fade away. They would just get absorbed into bigger franchises or a Disney plus series lol

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

She said they're struggling with edit (probably make the story flows well), DS2 especially and that's one of the reasons for the delay, but she said so far is nothing to be afraid of, especially since they give time to correct some things instead of rushing it.

It's blindingly obvious that Doctor Strange 2 is an overstuffed mess. WB better take care with Flash.

Anyway, I'm honestly surprised by the response to Eternals. I truly thought the combo of Marvel, Zhao and DIVERSITY!!! would be catnip to critics. Surprised, and pleasantly so.

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

She said they're struggling with edit (probably make the story flows well), DS2 especially and that's one of the reasons for the delay, but she said so far is nothing to be afraid of, especially since they give time to correct some things instead of rushing it.

Good thing Grace is terminally wrong almost all the time, to the degree she constantly fights with the directors about what is in their movies (most recently picking a fight with Gunn over Bane being in Peacemaker, he isn't). She's not a credible source.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

The characters wouldn’t fade away. They would just get absorbed into bigger franchises or a Disney plus series lol

Well, that will happen anyway to a degree I assume. “Fading away” is a matter of what other properties how many of them appear and to how a high-profile a degree etc etc

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Good thing Grace is terminally wrong almost all the time, to the degree she constantly fights with the directors about what is in their movies (most recently picking a fight with Gunn over Bane being in Peacemaker, he isn't). She's not a credible source.

I mean, she did said there was test screening for both NWH and DS2 when she give these infos. Everyone throws shit at her only to hours later a photo leaked after the test screening of NWH confirming it.

ViewerAnon looked it and have the same information.

I understand Grace is messy, starts unnecessary chaos, have terrible takes on box office numbers, and like all insiders she have wrong info sometimes. But at this point people throw disproportionate hate into her, not everything she say is a lie, recently she actually get some pretty big things right. Of course everything must be taken with a grain of salt but this is for every "insider" not only her.

And like i said she didn't say anything terrible, she just said they need more time to settle everything because the story it's not flowing that well right now and they give this extra time. I wouldn't be surprised with this given the ridiculous deadlines Marvel works.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

Honestly even if this ends up going Rotten in the end once all the reviews are in Zhao's career will be just fine. She just won an Oscar and would hardly be the first director to stumble a bit stepping well outside their comfort zone (and a gig like this gives her additional exposure anyway), so she'll always have a home in more character-based projects even if a future in big-budget cinema might not be in the cards.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Definitely the worst MCU movie I've seen in ages. Was a surprisingly dull movie to watch in my opinion. The performances were okay I guess and some nice use of light in some scenes (Zhao's handiwork only pops up there and in the restrained dialogue). The plot felt overcomplicated while feeling incoherent. Meh. 

Apparently Black Widow had a major issue with dialogue and action scenes feeling like they were made by two completely different directors. Marvel should probably not hire people it doesn’t trust to do major components of their films if the effect is so jarring.

• Like 1

These reviews aren't that surprising for a movie based on the Eternals. They aren't all that. Also, introducing a dozen new characters at once and trying to make them memorable is a tall order, Oscar winning director/writer or not. Even the first Guardians had a far more manageable number of 5.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Apparently Black Widow had a major issue with dialogue and action scenes feeling like they were made by two completely different directors. Marvel should probably not hire people it doesn’t trust to do major components of their films if the effect is so jarring.

Didn't a lady who try for the BW job say that Marvel told her she needed to direct only the emotional/talky scenes and the action sequences would be handled by someone else? So it's not like they are compromising after hiring. They are hiring under the assumption that women can't direct action.

Having said that, these are such community made movies that I don't know if even the male directors (other than a few exceptions like Gunn, Waititi and Coogler) have a lot of say on every element of their film. Jon Watts literally being hired again and again for being a "team player".

Edited by Spidey Freak

looks like Eternals is getting banned in several middle east countries, I thought they would just cut out the LGBTQ moments but their reasoning is "the film talks shit about god and religion"  :bagoverhead:

hopefully they release it on digital before the next Spider-Man comes out.