ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

There is sometimes a divide between domestic critics and international ones when blockbusters are... "brainy" but Eternals just seems more messy and bad than divisive and polarizing. People will use the "dense" defense but just sounds simply like Zhao was trapped by exposition and the need to introduce dozens of new characters. And the film falters as a result. Ah, well, noble effort

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

There is sometimes a divide between domestic critics and international ones when blockbusters are... "brainy" but Eternals just seems more messy and bad than divisive and polarizing. People will use the "dense" defense but just sounds simply like Zhao was trapped by exposition and the need to introduce dozens of new characters. And the film falters as a result. Ah, well, noble effort

dafuq defense ? like they need to defend the film ? lol

Density can be subjective depending on how much a film speaks to you, what reads as dense to one who is emotionally engaged might read as pointless convolution to another who is left cold. Exposition and how much of it is an issue is also really subjective. I remember when I found out that people considered The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to be exposition-heavy, I was like wtf? I still don't really get that honestly. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

No movie should require 2nd watch just to understand it, people should rewatch cause they liked it and want to. This movie sounds like the HxH of movies with all the exposition

Ok I get it, you joined to just vomit all over Eternals. Its Marvel, reviews are not awful. Its long, its a bit complicated, its different. But its still Marvel and it will still do well.  

Edited by Ronin46

It feels more like this Zhao and Marvel collaboration just didn’t really work like they thought it would.

Zhao is credited for the script and story here, she was more creatively involved than usual for MCU directors.

The issues with casual critics just seems more like it’s a bit boring than outright sayings it’s bad like other superhero movies (Fant4stic, BvS etc)

Nah, see, the issue here is that Marvel "forgot" to pay off the critics this time, so that when No Way Home/Doctor Strange 2 are criticized for being messy, they can point to the reviews being better than the one directed by the Best Director winner. Feige is out here playing that 4D chess. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 2

I was reading one of the reviews by Robbie Collin and he’s say Marvel doesn’t deserve credit for the diversity in this movie. 

I agree to a certain extent but I think the largest franchise of all time doing it in this day and age is significant considering the way things are right now with this constant, stupid ‘woke’ shit.

It just feels sometimes Marvel can’t do anything right with certain groups but what can ye do.

Edited by exomassey

28 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

It seems weird to me to add a consensus for a movie that's received just over a tenth of its total reviews and has polarizing reactions on all sides, but what do I know.

They're probably counting it won't go rotten, which is likely but i would wait at least 100 reviews before add a consensus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I've seen a lot of "You need to see the film TWICE to understand it" and "It's so complex, etc". 

The similarities between MOS/BVS and this in terms of the brand’s fan reactions are fascinating. Reviews (so far) aren’t bad enough for fans to go the “critics were bribed by rival studio”* argument, thankfully. 

*=An idea to explain away BVS’ reviews that at the time was big time pushed by…Trace Dandruff herself. 

Edited by RRA

32 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

It seems weird to me to add a consensus for a movie that's received just over a tenth of its total reviews and has polarizing reactions on all sides, but what do I know.

Lol they added the consensus to The Last Duel when it was at 74% with just 26 reviews, imo it needs to be tweaked a bit.  They really should wait until at least 50 reviews

39 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Lol I still remember when MOS initially had a (positive) critic consensus at RT. Hell even certified fresh before rest of the reviews came in. The first was rewritten to say the least and that certification got yanked.

I wouldn’t be shocked if this happens here too. 

Edited by RRA