ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

and that's strange because ridiculous is easy to brush off/ignore since it's ridiculous. It isn't the truth that hurts hence strong reactions to it due to 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance). Yet you and the 12 Posts Stan had an overblown reaction akin to stage 2. Waste of energy. 

🙄   

This is some real first-grade kind of defense. “My bad comment got dunked on because it was dumb, which means really it must have been good.”

• Like 1

I never tought I would say this!! Will this will be a crowd pleaser? This is what matter now. Having Zhao as a director might not appeal to the mass. This is what might affect its boxoffice.
As for Marvel movies. I wonder why blockbusters from other studios get a pass being dumd and fan!!! And when it comes to Marvel movies the same members here never miss a chace to shit on a ten year old movie again, again and again. It is like these members have a never ending grudge against Marvel.  
At the end, Eternals is not the end of the road and we witnessed how Characters like Thor got redeemed. The future is brighter for Marvel and surely there will be some setbacks and misses.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

🙄   

This is some real first-grade kind of defense. “My bad comment got dunked on because it was dumb, which means really it must have been good.”

Nope it's my bad joke comment got too much attention as if it was meaningful which it wasn't so why the heck is still getting attention? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

We’re definitely gonna need someone to post when it hits 53 reviews what the new score is, then 54 reviews, then 55…  

Crucial info here. Highly path dependent sorta quantity dontcha know.

LOL sorry, I just had time to check out reviews. I’ll stop now, promise.

• Haha 1

yeah the avg rating is what's worrying, when most of the positive reviews are only lukewarm 6/10s. it doesn't bode well for the movie to make a comeback over like 80%+.  certified fresh is still possible though imo.

so when it comes to RT Aquaman comps might be better than Joker's.  that movie had a messy script and insane amount of ridiculous exposition but was saved by James Wan's direction and stellar action sequences, (enough for it to be top 3 CBM of 2018 at least :ph34r:).

but yeah critics usually don't respond well to movies with problematic exposition. even Interstellar couldn't survive it. 

9 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so when it comes to RT Aquaman comps might be better than Joker's.  that movie had a messy script and insane amount of ridiculous exposition but was saved by James Wan's direction and stellar action sequences

and

original.gif

no matter what one thinks of the movie (I adore!), Momoa's charisma and star presence were praised as they are in Dune. He's the movie's biggest moneyshot. 

• Like 2

Zhao recently saying she was inspired by Prometheus and Tree of Life was a big red flag for me.

Whatever you think of those films, a Marvel movie inspired by those films sounds very unappealing.

As I said before, it just doesn’t seem that this Zhao and Marvel collaboration really worked.

I’m not a huge Zhao fan or anything (haven’t seen any of her movies actually — don’t really look like my cup of tea) but I’m not sure another director could have executed this pitch/script much better. If you give this to a Watts type you might be getting better reviews because of lower expectations, but that’s a different question altogether.  If it was Gunn or Waititi you’d have a totally different movie, etc.   

Which is to say, maybe they will feel in retrospect (if the audience reception is bad) that they should have done a different property entirely, or a fairly different approach to this one. But I doubt they walk away feeling like this was a particularly poor execution of this approach and they don’t want to work with Chloe again.    

A sequel would be a very different beast anyway.

Edited by Let There Be Legion

True.

I just think Zhao has such a specific style. Her doing the movie about what are essentially Marvel’s Space Gods and Monsters is a risky choice.

Maybe she should have done more grounded characters like the Runaways or some X-Men characters.

Also maybe the Eternals are just boring characters in the 1st place. Let’s be honest the Inhumans are more interesting, at least they have a giant space dog.

Edited by exomassey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, exomassey said:

Also maybe the Eternals are just boring characters in the 1st place. Let’s be honest the Inhumans are more interesting, at least they have a giant space dog.

Inhumans are trash, Eternals are as dull as dishwater. I guess you could say trash is more interesting than dishwater.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Inhumans are trash, Eternals are as dull as dishwater. I guess you could say trash is more interesting than dishwater.

No I agree I’m not a fan of the Inhumans but they are at least more fun and have a dog who can teleport.

(I haven’t seen the TV show, I’m talking strictly Inhumans comics lol)