ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

4 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Intersetllar is clearly the case where the audiences gave the middle finger into the critics face lol 

It's certainly had a nice shelf life. Nolan knew what he was doing trying to take a stab at a Spielbergian yarn and I think it's paid off. 

8 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

after reading +60 reviews, I'm more interested in this film. 

sounds like very much "cloud atlas" situation.  (66% RT/ 48% top critics)

you will like it if you get into that world building and characters, especially "emotions".

maybe interstellar too which has strong emotion elements. (72% RT / 65% top critics)

I.would agree but in terms of emotions the biggest complaints I've seen from normie critics and YouTube is that they couldn't emotionally connect to the characters but world building is dense which seems closer to dune. Now the question is can audiences used mcu flavor fine with it being like dune and not typical mcu.

In terms of critics score 66-72% range seems reasonable.

Interstellar had a critical average of around 7.

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I.would agree but in terms of emotions the biggest complaints I've seen from normie critics and YouTube is that they couldn't emotionally connect to the characters but world building is dense which seems closer to dune. Now the question is can audiences used mcu flavor fine with it being like dune and not typical mcu.

In this aspect, people should experience the movie on their own standard, taste, life experience and feel rather than have to rely on other people. There are critics saying they are totally emotionally invested in this aspect of the movie.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Chloe said she was inspired by Interstellar, maybe critics saw this and decide to give similar reviews.

wow that's interesting. interstellar is one of my fav film too. lol

I just saw video on reddit which she geek over it and someone said on comment that some reviews mentioned interstellar.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

yeah. around 70% seems right. and I think less avg score is more do with Marvel+Cinema angle.

lots of people were already very critical of this before seeing it. and usual marvel fan critics who gave 8~9 score to SC/BW being muted as 6 doesn't help.

9 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

In this aspect, people should experience the movie on their own standard, taste, life experience and feel rather than have to rely on other people. There are critics saying they are totally emotionally invested in this aspect of the movie.  

Fair enough. Let's see audience scores will land.

Why are people jumping to interstellar like its the underdog story. RT 72% and made 190m(?) domestically, Venom has 30% and made more, none of the transfomers movies are fresh and most of them made more than Interstellar, this are the movies which shown that audience win against critic opinions.

4 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

In general, if a movie's total gross >2.5 of its cost, then it will start to gain profit? 

>2x or >2.5x ??

2,5x is the thumb rule, something less without china release

Edited by Coldbird
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

In general, if a movie's total gross >2.5 of its cost, then it will start to gain profit? 

Nah it means it has officially broken even. How far it goes beyond that number will determine whether it will be profitable within the theatrical window or after ancillaries come in or they remain broke even status which means they are not declared profitable or a loss.

Then there is hollywood accounting which confused the hell out of me.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

But The Last Jedi derailed the Star Wars franchise at the box office, doesn't that mean audience response was indeed negative like the RT score suggests? (It's a genuine question, I wasn't very active on the forum from Justice League until more recently, so I didn't follow its box office run)

I feel like it's a bit more complicated though. TLJ was extremely polarizing among the core fanbase, and word of that spread very quickly to the less invested. And if the core fanbase isn't as excited for future films, general audiences may be like "if even the people who love this aren't into it, I'll pass." There's also the fact that people might like TLJ but still feel like it failed to get them excited for future of SW.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

But The Last Jedi derailed the Star Wars franchise at the box office, doesn't that mean audience response was indeed negative like the RT score suggests? (It's a genuine question, I wasn't very active on the forum from Justice League until more recently, so I didn't follow its box office run)

Nah, Solo tanked because they released two star wars movies 5 months apart. They tried to Marvelize it, but Star Wars movies work best when feeling like a big event. That's why their previous movie spinoff plans are now shows. If it were what you were describing then Rise of Skywalker' would have been more impacted.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Menor said:

There's also the fact that people might like TLJ but still feel like it failed to get them excited for future of SW.

I love TLJ, my fav SW film but the film end with nothing excited to look for in future. 

Also I think TRoS tanked mostly because it sucked on its own.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Menor said:

In late May 2019, RT started requiring users to show ticket stubs before they could rate a movie. It drastically cut down on review bombing and made the audience score correlate very well with other metrics. Scores from before then are not reliable since many are review bombed. 

Theres no question a lot of people had problems with TLJ, you can't just chalk it up to a bunch of angry bearded internet culture warriors review bombing it.  It was easily one of the most controversial movies of the last decade along the likes of Prometheus and Man of Steel.

2 hours ago, Danhjpn said:

and romance movie.

I heard that there is a quite strong romance aspect in this movie. 

In general, romance in superhero movies are really bad or a waste of time with the rare exception of the the first CAP and first Wonder Woman.

TDW, IM2, FFH, MOS, and TDK being recent examples.