ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't think Eternals is going to bomb .

There wasn't even reason for that, people doesn't care that much about rotten tomatoes, people here and on twitter are obsessed and overthinking it. Of course it's not helping the hype but that's it.

The biggest OW of the year opened with +90M coming of a terrible movie and getting bad reviews too.

Depends on what Disney's view of a "bomb" is for this. Going Snakes Eyes on us? Not happening but yeah that's a bomb in the obvious sense. 

Let's remember 2013. MOS was the first hit Superman movie since what, 1983? Not a bomb. How did WB react? Didn't make TDK money so uh oh kick out MOS 2, let's do BVS instead. BVS...did what BVS did. Made money, but not Avengers money. We remember what happened afterwards. The Incredible Hulk back in 2008? Made a profit, but Disney decided it wasn't enough to bother with more Hulk solo movies (or not worth splitting profits with Universal and their distribution rights. Why make Hulk 2 and just make $ when you own 100% of a GOTG or whatever and make $$$?)  I know that rumor claim a new Hulk film is gonna happen finally, but time will tell if that is legit. 

Let's look at the basics. MCU puts out movies focused on new characters (spun-off or not) so they can create more franchises (and spin-off more characters, rinse and repeat.) It doesn't take a rocket science to figure out Black Widow was booked to revolve around Florence Pugh if sequels (movie/show/pinball game/whatever) happened. I'm not sure BW did enough to make Disney wanna press the greenlight, but who knows? Disney in their ScarJo lawsuit statements made it sound like its in the black. Shang-Chi within context of this atmosphere did good enough that sequel seems secure. Actions always speak louder than words so we'll see if E1 does enough for E2 or Black Knight on D+ or whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Domestically alone probably not, but it's also probably not this massive bomb everyone has decided it is.

You out a lot of words not people’s mouths to cope with the bad reviews this has gotten. I haven’t seen anyone call Eternals this massive bomb. It’s the worst reviewed MCU since Dark World but no MCU film has been commercially rejected. This won’t. It is more of disappointment than bomb 

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You out a lot of words not people’s mouths to cope with the bad reviews this has gotten. I haven’t seen anyone call Eternals this massive bomb. It’s the worst reviewed MCU since Dark World but no MCU film has been commercially rejected. This won’t. It is more of disappointment than bomb 

Christ, imagine how we (this thread, not somebody sane like me) would react if this was getting oh I don't know 2016-era DCEU reviews where it was generally "This SUCKS!" instead of mostly "meh." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Domestically alone probably not, but it's also probably not this massive bomb everyone has decided it is.

Can you name even one person on this board who thinks it will be a "massive bomb"*?

* "massive bomb" re-calibrated for the COVID era, naturally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Honestly some of the reactions to this make it sound like it answers the question of "what would The Avengers have been like had there been no Phase 1 and that movie had to cram everyone's origin story into one 2.5 hour film?" 10 new major characters or more becomes a lot of mouths that need to be fed.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

what is the condition for a movie to be considered as a bomb? Not be able to make 2.5x of its cost in final total gross? 

Hence "recalibrated for the COVID era", as a whooooooole lot of movies are bombs if we use that definition.

Not that I agree with that definition in the first place, as I don't.  I tend to think people way overuse the words "bomb" and "flop" around here, and I really think we need to re-think them when there's still a global pandemic going on.

37 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

what is the condition for a movie to be considered as a bomb? Not be able to make 2.5x of its cost in final total gross? 

Was in a bit of a hurry, sorry, so let me try to answer your question.

Generally speaking, 2.5x is seen as the profitability bar. I say generally coz there are a whooooooole lot of variables that go into that, but it's a nice shorthand.

Some folks do think that any film which doesn't meet costs on initial theatrical release is a "bomb", yes.  I... disagree, to put it mildly.

I tend to think something either has to lose well over 100m dollars to be a bomb or be well under costs as a percentage.  Much like obscenity, it's the classic "I know it when I see it" type deal, so I couldn't give a hard and fast rule even in the best of times.

And, anyway, as I said, most "rules" about bombs are out the window until further notice.  Only something like The Suicide Squad or The Last Duel can truly be considered a "bomb" in this climate. IMO, of course. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Can follow the comparison here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRdBLcMlBbASk8R6I6uOoHeBuAX9dFuiRPlTOBT_hNji3pxogLxPkyVW8iQ9h6LF_N_D1MDBJ-YFRss/pubhtml?gid=2061380030&single=true

Reviewers who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 21/29 (72%)

SC - 21/21

ET - 20/29 (69%)

Reviewers who reviewed all 3 MCU movies

SC - 21/21

BW - 14/21 (66%)

ET - 15/21 (71%)

Publications who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 37/46 (80%)

ET - 35/46 (76%)

29 critics reviewed both BW and ET.

15 liked both movies.

5 liked ET but not BW.

6 liked BW but not ET.

3 didn't like both.

Yeah very bad day. Added 23 reviews. 13 Fresh. 10 Rotten. (57%)

Reviewers who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 38/48 (79%)

SC - 34/36 (94%)

ET - 30/48 (62%)

Reviewers who reviewed all 3 MCU movies

SC - 34/36 (94%)

BW - 27/36 (75%)

ET - 24/36 (67%)

Publications who reviewed Black Widow

BW - 54/66 (82%)

ET - 45/66 (68%)

48 critics reviewed both BW and ET.

24 liked both movies.

6 liked ET but not BW.

14 liked BW but not ET.

4 didn't like both.

Yes. ET is ending in low 60s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danhjpn said:

anything under 400m for a theatrical mcu exclusive movie would be disappointing , below that sequels may be in doubt. Disney put all Star Wars spinoffs on ice after Solo made the same amount as BW at box office. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

anything under 400m for a theatrical mcu exclusive movie would be disappointing , below that sequels may be in doubt. Disney put all Star Wars spinoffs on ice after Solo made the same amount as BW at box office. 

Black Widow had like 150m in PA