ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m not talking about the critics. They’ll do whatever they do. I’m talking here — there’s a really ugly side of BOT, a mob mentality, that comes out when some film gets really shitty reception (one way or another).

Of course, but that's fandom in general where people get defensive, choose sides, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m not talking about the critics. They’ll do whatever they do. I’m talking here — there’s a really ugly side of BOT, a mob mentality, that comes out when some film gets really shitty reception (one way or another).

With Eternals specifically and the MCU, I see it as the equivalent of people dunking on the Patriots when they ruined their perfect season by losing in the Super Bowl to end up 18-1.  Got to do it while you can!  (Because you know... more Super Bowls are coming.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It does not even have to be shitty, It just has to be less then raves.

The reception that Eternals is getting is not that bad, but some people are acting like it's the end of the MCU.

Once againn, MCU fans are just plain spoiled.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, john2000 said:

some of the reviews are weird on rt , i mean some that are fresh maybe should be rotten and the opposite, for example one of the latest reviews is in spanish and is a rotten review and yet if you read the actual review the verdict is basically that while is a little dissapointing its still a good movie , yet its rotten ? lol.I see that a lot on rt in general and is confusing.

I’m sure we’ve questionrd this many times before, but the answer is that the critic has the final say on if they want to give it a tomato or a splat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I’m sure we’ve questionrd this many times before, but the answer is that the critic has the final say on if they want to give it a tomato or a splat. 

thats makes it more weird, if i say that a movie is good enough then probably i should rate it fresh and if i think that a movie is mediocre i should give it a splat.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

thats makes it more weird, if i say that a movie is good enough then probably i should rate it fresh and if i think that a movie is mediocre i should give it a splat.

Quite a lot of the mediocre reviews end up going up as fresh too, just the critics final say. 

They can change their mind too. 

Hey, even if Eternals is box office failure..and that is not a done deal, ..it's not like the MCU winning streak was going to last forever.Itg had to have a failure sometime. The law of averages always catches up with you.

But the overreaction is really, really, over the top. Mob menatality at work.

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Yes, but...if I were a critic, I would do that, but I'd probably give original-feeling material more of a pass and more same old same old material less of one, even if "technically" both would fall in the "it could go either way" category...

Sometimes, just not seeing the same thing over and over again (even if the material is subpar) is worth encouraging others to see it...and vice versa (seeing practically the same movie 4x in a row, even if it's good but it's less good than the 1st 3, would have me give it a fail)...

12 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

With Eternals specifically and the MCU, I see it as the equivalent of people dunking on the Patriots when they ruined their perfect season by losing in the Super Bowl to end up 18-1.  Got to do it while you can!  (Because you know... more Super Bowls are coming.)

Not for the Pats for a while....their glory days are clearly over for a couple of years at least.

I don't think there's any malice either on the side of critics or fans who are commenting on the falling RT rating (review bombers aside but they do it for everything be it The Last Duel or this) . Eternals was a movie nobody asked for - another Z list gang of SH but less wacky than GOTG and more like adult Percy Jackson cast - but people were polite, opened their minds, and then Papa Feige started to hype it as the second coming, best Marvel movie ever, sure-fire Oscar winner. So expectations naturally jumped. Then the movie was seen and, to quote one catty lady critic, it's a 200M Thanksgiving turkey. These things happen. Nobody plans them, nobody wants them. But when they happen, well, you can lie that everything is fine or express your disappointment that something that should have gone right had gone wrong. Even critics who write funny takes in negative reviews do that for all movies. They have to entertain their readers. It's nothing personal. 

Point being, Papa Feige misjudged what he had on his hands. It was a winner...but a Razzie one. ;) OK, not that bad but you get what I'm trying to say. he got carried away with hype because Zhao had just won and the movie looked better visually than other MCU movies, for it was filmed on location, and had Nolan-ish flashbacks and he thought this is it this will change the way we make movies going forward. But what really happened is that surface-level differences where just that and the movie was essentially exactly the same formula like 25 other movies, only unnecessarily bogged down by all those fancy flashbacks that weren't even show don't tell but flashback #56 to exposition #56. That's according to reviews both fresh and rotten. 

So, IMO, no one should regret that this was made. You have to take risks but perhaps they didn't take enough since the movie ended up a weird hybrid between done to death formula and some stylistic choices that didn't gel with it. or maybe they picked the wrong IP since most reviews on both sides of the spectrum say the characters are simply boring and like watered down versions of famous SH,  so why they were chosen to have a movie is everyone's guess. But lesson learned and from that springs improvement going forward.

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

^^ I’m sorry, I don’t buy any of this. Just have the decency and honesty to say you’re delighted to dunk on a movie without having seen it. 

Happens so often on here people don’t even realize what they’re doing. I love it here but I’ve always called it Twitter jr cause of the ridiculous comments from certain people. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Happens so often on here people don’t even realize what they’re doing. I love it here but I’ve always called it Twitter jr cause of the ridiculous comments from certain people. 

And you have the opposite:people raving how great a movie is without having seen it. Both extremes are wrong.

Although I don't always succeed, I try to avoid making artistic judgement about a movie I have not seen, though I will comment on how a film's reception might impact it's box office.

And people also don;t get the difference between saying "I think it's a bad movie" and "I think it is not going to do well at the box office".

32 minutes ago, cax16 said:

What I've seen here in reaction to Eternals is so damn MILD compared to what used to happen on here and I'm honestly surprised.  I started reading and posting on the site again for the first time in over a year recently due to covid and I don't know if there were mod changes or if its because a bunch of the old regulars quit(there are a bunch of names I no longer see here), but this place is comically tame compared to what it used to be(maybe even to a fault) when it comes to any kind of drama or people dancing on films stumbling with critics or audiences.  And honestly, sometimes it was entertaining depending on the movie.

For better and worse, Marvel has been by far the most powerful brand in entertainment for well over 10 years now.  The IP is so strong now that everyone involved with Eternals will be fine.  Its not like Eternals stumbling is harmful to the industry or any of the talent involved in the way that The Last Duel, a legitimately great film, utterly bombing with a pathetic 4.7m OW is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What I've seen here in reaction to Eternals is so damn MILD compared to what used to happen on here and I'm honestly surprised.  I started reading and posting on the site again for the first time in over a year recently due to covid and I don't know if there were mod changes or if its because a bunch of the old regulars quit(there are a bunch of names I no longer see here), but this place is comically tame compared to what it used to be(maybe even to a fault) when it comes to any kind of drama or people dancing on films stumbling with critics or audiences. 

Yeah that's basically what happened. Things were getting way too mean, so we got rid of the Fanboy Wars thread and are a lot more strict when it comes to what can be considered baiting or trolling. It's still not perfect, especially in the CBM threads, and we've seen some backlash from folks (9 times out of 9 being folks who love to stir drama), but it's a huge relief for everybody and has made it way less stressful and obnoxious than it was before. A lot of times, CBM threads can be somewhat tolerable, minus the odd post here and there. Trust me when I say that if we kept things the way they were in 2016-2019, I would not be here, and I'm confident saying a lot of posters would feel the same way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What I've seen here in reaction to Eternals is so damn MILD compared to what used to happen on here and I'm honestly surprised.  I started reading and posting on the site again for the first time in over a year recently due to covid and I don't know if there were mod changes or if its because a bunch of the old regulars quit(there are a bunch of names I no longer see here), but this place is comically tame compared to what it used to be(maybe even to a fault) when it comes to any kind of drama or people dancing on films stumbling with critics or audiences.  And honestly, sometimes it was entertaining depending on the movie.

For better and worse, Marvel has been by far the most powerful brand in entertainment for well over 10 years now.  The IP is so strong now that everyone involved with Eternals will be fine.  Its not like Eternals stumbling is harmful to the industry or any of the talent involved in the way that The Last Duel, a legitimately great film, utterly bombing with a pathetic 4.7m OW is.

I don’t think this thread has been bad at all tbh, not even as bad as the ww84 thread. My comment was just more in general. I remember I joined when BvS came out and I had to leave here for a few months because it was so bad.

This is the first marvel movie in a while that’s been reviewed like this with critics so it should be expected to have lots of conversation surrounding it. I get people are frustrated with people sharing RT scores etc but that always happens. 

• Like 2

On the one hand, scores are annoying because 100M might have been close enough for them to make the difference.   

On the other hand, Spider-man was the first 100M OW, Spider-man 3 was the first 150M OW, and a first-of-its-kind MCU crossover featuring characters from 5 different prior movies was the first 200M OW.    

Maybe this is a glimpse at the grand design  :ph34r:

Edited by Avatar Legion