ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Could be why Wonder Woman 1984 is 71% with top critics. Blogs and vlogs bringing the general score down. 

WW84 is being brought up a lot in this thread lol, but I can’t see much in common.

They're both 150 minute long superhero films that are vastly different from their predecessors. They both make the decision to give the action a backseat (WW84 has maybe 10 minutes of action) and focus more on the characters/story beats/exposition. They both have highly divisive reactions with people either really liking them or outright hating them and calling them the worst of their respective franchises.

Superficial I know, "you could say the same about other superhero films" I know.  . . but still. Both were films that people were swearing up and down would be top of their class. . . only for the critical reception to shut that down.

What does make them different is audience reaction. The audience has already seen Wonder  Woman and are divisive over it, however Eternals hasn't had that happen yet. . . the audience could end up loving it.

You may not see the comparison, but apparently a lot do. It's not just in this thread. I've seen it through reddit and other forums.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

23 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

^^ I’m sorry, I don’t buy any of this. Just have the decency and honesty to say you’re delighted to dunk on a movie without having seen it. 

Quoted for truth.

Its that kind of negativity that has stopped some of us me (me) from posting here for about 5-6 years now.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

They're both 150 minute long superhero films that are vastly different from their predecessors. They both make the decision to give the action a backseat (WW84 has maybe 10 minutes of action) and focus more on the characters/story beats/exposition. They both have highly divisive reactions with people either really liking them or outright hating them and calling them the worst of their respective franchises.

Yeh, I honestly don’t see the comparison at all, aside from runtime. Wonder Woman 1984 has way more than 10 minutes of action though, not to derail the thread. 

• Like 1

If Eternals is the film to finally make IMDb stop with the unverified ratings, it’ll have done some good. 

Reminds me of Ghostbusters 2016 receiving 1000+ 1 star ratings from American male accounts…. 5 days before it opened there. IMDb have since removed the bot votes and it’s jumped from a 5.2 to a 6.5

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

this is dumb , a thousand troll votes, will be insignificant after it is out and has100k or more votes , talking about them gives them more power

See the Ghostbusters example above, they won’t stop at 1000 votes. It will make a difference in the long run. Until it’s fixed. I think we’ve had this conversation before. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

See the Ghostbusters example above, they won’t stop at 1000 votes. It will make a difference in the long run. Until it’s fixed. I think we’ve had this conversation before. 

it will have no impact, imdb is not easily manipulated when you have as large fanbase as mcu that will rate films 10/9, Even TLJ has a respectable score on imdb. Also last Ghostbusters has 6.5 on imdb, which is fair imo.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Superficial I know, "you could say the same about other superhero films" I know.  . . but still. Both were films that people were swearing up and down would be top of their class. . . only for the critical reception to shut that down.

What does make them different is audience reaction. The audience has already seen Wonder  Woman and are divisive over it, however Eternals hasn't had that happen yet. . . the audience could end up loving it.

You may not see the comparison, but apparently a lot do. It's not just in this thread. I've seen it through reddit and other forums.

Did you step out of the auditorium to go to the toilet for a 1 hour long shit during WW84?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

it will have no impact, imdb is not easily manipulated when you have as large fanbase as mcu that will rate films 10/9, Even TLJ has a respectable score on imdb. Also last Ghostbusters has 6.5 on imdb, which is fair imo.

If you look at my post, Ghostbusters jumped from a 5.2 to a 6.5 earlier this year when the bot votes were removed. 

Hence the bots can make a difference of over 1 full rating in the end. 

i didn't realize the TC score for WW84 was so high.  Are there other instances where that has happened?  

RE: Eternals..   the TC score is lower than the general score so as more reviews come in it's possible that the general score does stay within that 65-70% range or so which is not that bad. 

Disappointing maybe but not horrible. 

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

i didn't realize the TC score for WW84 was so high.  Are there other instances where that has happened?  

RE: Eternals..   the TC score is lower than the general score so as more reviews come in it's possible that the general score does stay within that 65-70% range or so which is not that bad. 

Disappointing maybe but not horrible. 

It's already at 63% with 100 reviews. 70% seems unlikely from what I'm seeing. There is even a possibility this goes rotten but let's wait and see.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

Nearly half the fresh reviews with a rating has it at a mere 6/10 so far. The number of critics who are actually enthusiastic about the film is pretty damn low, it would have to pull some wonders to hold a 60%+ over the next 250+ reviews.

16 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

They already have an out and out box office flop. The Incredible Hulk.

Yes, but that was way back in 2008,,,in fact it was Marvel Studios second release. It has not had a actual movie that lost money since. Even Thor 2..probably the most disliked MCU film..made a decent profit.

Marvel Studios was way,way, overdue for a flop.It has had one of the most incredible runs in film history with a very long string of box office sucesses. Most sucessful studios have a much higher failure rate.

And it's not a given that Eternals will flop, though I think the reviews will hurt it at the box office. Both Venom films got much worse critical receptions, and look at how well they did.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Nearly half the fresh reviews with a rating has it at a mere 6/10 so far. The number of critics who are actually enthusiastic about the film is pretty damn low, it would have to pull some wonders to hold a 60%+ over the next 250+ reviews.

ANd most of the fresh reviews seem to be fanboys of the director,so they came in biased.