ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I do gotta say, while I'm not the biggest MCU fan to begin with and I haven't seen Shang-Chi yet, the MCU this year has been absolutely miserable for me. NWH does not look like it'll help (mostly based on the previous two Spidey films), no clue about Hawkeye other than Renner and the character sucks, and Eternals... well we'll see about that.

Shang Chi in my opinion is the best MCU project they’ve done this year.

Wandavision and Loki also good. Everything else… (I liked Yelena a lot though).

I think Hawkeye will be good even with Renner because it’s Christmas themed, Hailee Steinfeld and the rumoured surprise.

3 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Shang Chi in my opinion is the best MCU project they’ve done this year.

Wandavision and Loki also good. Everything else… (I liked Yelena a lot though).

I think Hawkeye will be good even with Renner because it’s Christmas themed, Hailee Steinfeld and the rumoured surprise.

I will watch Shang-Chi whenever it hits VOD, I hope I'll enjoy it. I was enjoying WandaVision for a solid three episodes until a certain thing happened and it became too much of an overbearing MCU movie, but overall it's the strongest I've seen from the MCU this year. F&WS was just miserable (and I only remembered it existed right this second), Loki was alright for a while but it's when I really started to catch on how stale and limited the shows seem to be. That whole tv-show side of things is so not working for me right now, but yeah Hawkeye at least has the Christmas theme and they've also made sure to lessen the blow of Renner as much as possible by throwing Steinfeld, Farmiga and Pugh at me. It might be a nice thing to have over the winter.

34 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I do gotta say, while I'm not the biggest MCU fan to begin with and I haven't seen Shang-Chi yet, the MCU this year has been absolutely miserable for me. NWH does not look like it'll help (mostly based on the previous two Spidey films), no clue about Hawkeye other than Renner and the character sucks, and Eternals... well we'll see about that.

Shang-Chi is great. For me, it is their strongest since Panther. Ant-Man and the Wasp is third in the 2018-2021 releases of the MCU.

Spoiler

4.5/5 - Black Panther

4/5

Shang-Chi

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Infinity War

3.5/5

Endgame

WandaVision

3/5

Black Widow

Captain Marvel 

Loki

2.5/5

What If

Falcon

1.5/5

FFH

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

For me Boseman's death really took the wind out of future MCU's sails. There was so much more to his story and he was one of the few big characters who didn't need humor to be popular.

its all on Strange and Spidey to carry the MCU and Spidey might be leaving. Captain Marvel? Lol. Wanda? Wasn’t made a film lead. Shang Chi? Banned in China.  MCU is in a very awkward phase with no anchor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exomassey said:

I can’t agree here. 

The thing is at least No Way Home and MoM will probably be fun and exciting.

Eternals always looked like it was taking itself a bit too seriously.

Chadwick’s death is tragic but with Marvel still to introduce characters like X Men, Blade and Fantastic Four, they will be fine. They just need to find their groove again.

GIVE ME LIVE ACTION GALACTUS!

Whats the deal with Blade?  Is Kevin Feige stripping that one down to become MCU friendly?  If so, yikes...  Blade 1 and 2 were some of my favorite childhood movies.

23 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Whats the deal with Blade?  Is Kevin Feige stripping that one down to become MCU friendly?  If so, yikes...  Blade 1 and 2 were some of my favorite childhood movies.

We’ll see.

I think Blade being a part of the MCU could be something great. He’s such a cool character if they get him right. They should though, Ali is an incredible actor.

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Why did they release reviews so early? It killed all the hype. They couldn't have possibly thought reviews would be positive.

Because they put this out at the Venice Film Festival.  Can't put out a film in a festival and then try to slap an embargo on it.

They did have test screenings

Did they?  Not exactly Disney policy to do that for Marvel/SW films.  Or rather, if they did it was probably internal.

And even if they did doesn't mean they saw the same things some critics did.

Depending on just when they decided to go to the Venice Film Festival (it was announced at the beginning of this month but that doesn't necessarily mean that's when they decided to go there), they might have thought they had a winner on their hands.

Sometimes studios misjudge what they have.*

* Yes, audiences could end up loving this, but it is more than apparent this isn't going to be a critical darling that is usually at a film festival.

1 minute ago, Coldbird said:

they had test screenings, i remember a post from somebody retelling the plot, which proved true.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And even if they did doesn't mean they saw the same things some critics did.

=========

Right about now would be time to repost the “Truth About Test Screenings” vid, wouldn’t it?

Just now, Porthos said:

Right about now would be time to repost the “Truth About Test Screenings” vid, wouldn’t it?

Hell, I’ll do it anyway before this conversation gets too far down the tracks:

For folks who haven’t seen it yet, just what “test screenings” are, and more importantly, aren’t.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Why did they release reviews so early? It killed all the hype. They couldn't have possibly thought reviews would be positive. They did have test screenings

Didn’t they believe this could be an Oscar contender? I think it was actually a headline on this thread before it all came crashing down in a big ball of flames.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Hell, I’ll do it anyway before this conversation gets too far down the tracks:

For folks who haven’t seen it yet, just what “test screenings” are, and more importantly, aren’t.

They did test screenings and it's confirmed because the leaked plot is real. I know people here in Brazil that read the plot months ago, already saw the movie and confirmed the main points is the same and in the same order.

The movie have the usual quick reshoots after that, so i'm sure they changed some things, maybe even the exposition excess came from this, is hard to know, but they really tested it at some point and it didn't change anything crucial.

I think they just misjudge what they had, clearly they're expecting better reviews.

2 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Didn’t they believe this could be an Oscar contender? I think it was actually a headline on this thread before it all came crashing down in a big ball of flames.

Yes, there's rumours that Feige believes that. Honestly, he does love this project, i don't know about awards beyond the rumours but i saw him in front of me talking about the movie and he was glowing.

That's a reason i doubt he will throw away this franchise even if audiences didn't love it. Ultimately is up to him decide what to do and he really liked the movie and Chloe, if people dislike it i think they will just change the tone. We should know that by next weekend, i hope people liked it.

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

its all on Strange and Spidey to carry the MCU and Spidey might be leaving. Captain Marvel? Lol. Wanda? Wasn’t made a film lead. Shang Chi? Banned in China.  MCU is in a very awkward phase with no anchor.

X-Men and Fantastic Four will be huge.

Spidey isn't leaving. Marvel Studios is about to deliver a 200 million dollar opener for Sony, they'll come back. Also Marvel still has the license for one more movie so No Way Home won't be the last. Though Holland's not currently contracted, they could just sign a new one or hell, just use a different Spidey. I could see Tobey Maguire coming back for Raimis Doctor Strange.