ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

If anything, highbrow critics not liking it is worse since Zhao is a critic magnet and tries doing something more artistic. This truly just sounds bad and boring, not some misunderstood and unfairly criticized movie lol. But oh well, Marvel took a gamble and it didn’t pay off critically. They’re fine. If they can’t gamble. Nobody can. But I can imagine the reactions it NWH gets bad reviews too. 

Audience reception will probably be fine. The end credit gets a good reaction and that’s the last thing on their mind leaving theaters sending them out on a high note. 

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some posts here make it looks like a 30% or something

Its precious Marvelites, pretentious cinemaphiles and frustrated franchise war soldiers taking a 5th round Wide-Receiver draft pick (projected 3rd on the depth chart) who's out of the NFL in 3 years and treating it like a 1st round franchise QB draft bust this side of Ryan Leaf or something. 

22 minutes ago, RRA said:

Its precious Marvelites, pretentious cinemaphiles and frustrated franchise war soldiers taking a 5th round Wide-Receiver draft pick (projected 3rd on the depth chart) who's out of the NFL in 3 years and treating it like a 1st round franchise QB draft bust this side of Ryan Leaf or something. 

What.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RRA said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8FATqhXEAANIf5.png

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

He's saying people are taking Eternals (bottom tier of Marvel comic characters) critical  receptions and acting like this happened to a big name property like Spiderman

They spent a lot of money on the project and has an A+ director attached with a highly paid ensemble cast. it's not Spider-Man but it's not a 6 episode Disney+ series either.  it's a big deal. 

10 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Won't be shocked if same happens to spiderman. 

Seems like a relatively known commodity thats been well liked has performed well. Sequels and so on. Candyman, HK, Venom (audience liked original I guess...),F9, QP2 and so on. Shang Chi was a new property that did very well as well as Freeguy. NTTD was so so in USA when you take into account a very old demiographic who are reluctant to go to the movies.

I think Top Gun would have done great or MI8 as well if they had been released. 

Spiderman wont be like Eternals I dont think because people know what to expect and are fine with it even if critics reviews are not good (Venom 2 or HK). If it was a new property like Eternals then I think reviews matter a lot more. 

The interesting thing will be Ghost Busters. I just dont think enough people are interested in it since its been so long since the original came out. The follow up was not good and its not a huge franchise like others and is a harder sell with a comedy/nostalgia aspect rather than  a Matrix or a Top Gun .

I really cant see Spiderman not being huge.  

10 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Guess "diet and exercise" also explain the gigantic head and jaw growth as well. To be clear I'm not "shaming" anyone, just making the obvious observation that he's on HGH.

Isn't it a given that actors who have to quickly bulk up for an action movie are administered a regimen of steroids?

Edited by Fielding
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JonahVex said:

He's saying people are taking Eternals (bottom tier of Marvel comic characters) critical  receptions and acting like this happened to a big name property like Spiderman

No. 

MCU launch franchises, that’s what they do. How many have they launched when you think about it? Quite many. I used NFL analogy, your team usually starts by drafting franchise QB and go from there or a great defense, whatever. That’s what your team is built upon. MCU has done that w/ Avengers, Cap, Spidey, GOTG, whatever. 

If Eternals flops, opps but the foundation/team was already set and they can still win. Tampa Bay has Tom Brady and he’s got a lot of good WRs and Gronk and other offensive weapons to work with. If they drafted another WR who busts, oh well but they’re still contenders.

Contrast with 5 years ago and online meltdown that commenced. BVS (or MOS even further  if you want) was I would argue was meant to be DC drafting that franchise QB who then pulls a Heath Shuler and is a bust*. Such major busts when trying to form a good team tends to set you back years (just ask Bears and Jets fans.) 

*=Funny enough with that comp, Gadot 2nd day draft pick over overperforms big time. 

Edited by RRA
  • Like 3

On 10/30/2021 at 4:54 PM, RRA said:

A lot of people just find it dumb (and funny) that a totally needless and random ass film like Eternals is what will ruin the perfect streak.

Like what was the need? Fantastic Four, GOTG3, Ant-Family, The Marvels, Young Avengers, Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts, X-Men are all coming if people wanted more team movies other than Avengers.

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

A lot of people just find it dumb (and funny) that a totally needless and random ass film like Eternals is what will ruin the perfect streak.

Like what was the need? Fantastic Four, GOTG3, Ant-Family, The Marvels, Young Avengers, Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts, X-Men are all coming if people wanted more team movies other than Avengers.

I don’t understand this take. If Eternals had good reviews, would you be saying it was needless and random? What makes something in a huge cinematic universe needless and random?

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

This was most likely fast tracked before they acquired F4 and X-Men from Fox. It always had a November 2020 date until the pandemic happened.

21 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

So what you’re saying is that they should never try anything different and just milk their existing proven franchises until they die? Regardless of the reviews for this, I’m glad Marvel at least tried to do something with “new” characters. They were always going to put out a lesser film at some point, it’d be unreasonable to expect them to knock it out of the park forever. It’s impressive that their hot streak has lasted as long as it has.

But also, Rotten Tomatoes isn’t the be all and end all. The way some people are acting you’d think this was getting panned like Fant4stic…

• Like 8