ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

21 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some posts here make it looks like a 30% or something

Look just the fact that after 10+ years of fresh films, this being the first rotten MCU film is a pretty big deal. Personally I find this even more exciting because, the movie itself and my pre-existing  excitement aside, I want to see why the reviews are like this.

Also, It only has 121 reviews to this point. The latest Marvel film ( Sang Chi) got 312 reviews so it's fair to say that this will get the same amount. This could very well end up at low 40s on RT.

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Look just the fact that after 10+ years of fresh films, this being the first rotten MCU film is a pretty big deal. Personally I find this even more exciting because, the movie itself and my pre-existing  excitement aside, I want to see why the reviews are like this.

Also, It only has 121 reviews to this point. The latest Marvel film ( Sang Chi) got 312 reviews so it's fair to say that this will get the same amount. This could very well end up at low 40s on RT.

Nope, money is changing hands right now. 

homer simpson money GIF

I’ve never been a big Marvel reader, but as near as I can tell, the general consensus on the comic version of the Eternals seems to be that they were never a very interesting team, and that as far as Jack Kirby creations go, they’re pretty low on the totem pole. It does seem odd that Marvel decided to prioritize giving them a movie, while giving the Inhumans the shaft. 

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’ve never been a big Marvel reader, but as near as I can tell, the general consensus on the comic version of the Eternals seems to be that they were never a very interesting team, and that as far as Jack Kirby creations go, they’re pretty low on the totem pole. It does seem odd that Marvel decided to prioritize giving them a movie, while giving the Inhumans the shaft. 

Were Disney looking to make an Eternals movie or was it Chloe who pitched the idea of a movie and then Disney got behind that?

Eternals is going to be a divisive movie because it doesn't really work at the end of the day. There is too much exposition, the pacing and structure are a mess, and the story of love in all its forms gets lost. 

Eternals is going to be a movie that many people aren't going to like, and that is wholly justified. The bad does outweigh the good.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/eternals-review-a-universal-love-story-that-explains-itself-too-much/

Spoiler

ynhrznE.jpg

👍

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Were Disney looking to make an Eternals movie or was it Chloe who pitched the idea of a movie and then Disney got behind that?

I’m not sure. All I know is that Marvel announced their intention to make this movie around the time that IW was released. 

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

It won't, top critics isn't that far for a suddenly freefal.

After 100-120 reviews the score doesn't chance more than 5% for more or less in almost all examples. Probably the worst that can happen to Eternals is finishing around 55%, and staying with 60% isn't exactly impossible either.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This was announced around the same time as that DC project with Wrinkle in the time director. Terrible all around. Wb realized just a a year ago that handing over such a huge property to a director specializing in Oscar bait dramas isn't a bright idea. Record speaks for itself. 

like black panther? or "all" the unusual small directors marvel hired?

1 hour ago, Ronin46 said:

Marvel had that plan for years, chloe was contacted by marvel to discuss Eternals. and she loved it and pitched her vision and got the job. like los of things on the film was already done by marvel. +10 characters, gender swap, some castings etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

like black panther? or "all" the unusual small directors marvel hired?

Ryan Coogler had a successful Rocky spin-off under his belt. Plus, I’m not sure how much creative freedom he had compared to Zhao. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Zhao makes sense BUT she needed another film under her belt before diving right into the mainstream. 

Studios are eager to pluck out the indie breakout for their blockbusters but Nomadland was her "biggest" film and her third at time. The previous too were micro-indies that cost very little and starred non-professional actors. Movies she made almost like a student film with handheld camera. I think the biggest mistake was having her write the screenplay since her films were natural, improvisatory. Nomadland suffered from some narrative choices and mismatch between plot/naturalism. Now you go from that to writing a film that needs to introduce a dozen new characters, expand on mythology and lore and have a three act structure that allows for setpieces.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Basically after DC cancelled New Gods and he went back to Marvel, Kirby wanted to keep dabbling in ancient astronaut stuff.

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

A lot of people just find it dumb (and funny) that a totally needless and random ass film like Eternals is what will ruin the perfect streak.

Like what was the need? Fantastic Four, GOTG3, Ant-Family, The Marvels, Young Avengers, Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts, X-Men are all coming if people wanted more team movies other than Avengers.

Oh the irony of listing them. They exist now because years back somebody at Marvel looked at old properties that were never popular even among Marvel readers and thought "hey we might have something cinematic here." I mean hell even after Edgar Wright bailed on Ant-Man, people online went "lol why?" because they couldn't mentally process that property beyond the name. It says something that now they're so intertwined with the Marvel mythos in nerd culture, nobody thinks twice about such characters now. 

Let's remember why MCU started out on Iron Man in the first place: because they didn't have access to most of their biggest characters except Hulk. They had core of the Avengers though, so they mapped out from there. If they had X-Men or Spider-Dude or FF, I would guess they go after them first before Walking U.S. Flag and Space Viking. 

I think King Kevin or one of his people looked at Eternals and thought hey since we've already dabbled in space opera, why not this too? Hey why not a property that reeks of cosmic Highlander? They took a flyer on it like so many other things, except this one might not cut the mustard. Sometimes gambles don't pay off. MCU always wants new franchises to theoretically keep people (outside the faithful) interested, freshen up the formula cogs, hell play in genre sandboxes before (Shang-Chi screams "Let's do KUNG FU!")

• Like 4

Its interesting to observe the reasons/reviews to this movie and thus far I've noticed two camps of people who were dissatisfied with this: cinephiles/film nerds who were hoping to get a more "serious" and different Marvel movie and those who were looking for another standard/fun MCU flick.

I've not seen the movie yet, but tbh the trailers did not that enticing to me. I was more excited for Shang Chi than this, maybe because that looked more likeable and exciting compared to this movie.

24 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Black panther dude directed a proper studio movie based on an existing IP before getting the BP gig.

We can argue about quality, but in term of success story John Watt had made two very small movie, James Gunn biggest movie was Super I think, the captain marvel director, there a list of those. And I would be really unsure about how much NomadLand being an Oscar bait, would it have had a good chance in a normal year, nothing like that won in recent history.