ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

So Eternals doesn't look like an MCU movie in many ways, it has its flaws and obviously its great moment.
I have to metabolize and write an opinion

of course is better than Ant man2,THOR2, Cap1, IM2,Antman1

this is my opinion

2 post credit scene 🤯

Edited by fabiopazzo2
  • Like 6

I think a lot of the criticism with some critics is that’s it’s boring, generic and not fun.

I know we see people complain (Film Twitter) about the ‘Marvel formula’ but at the end of the day it seems that’s what people want. Even though it seems the formula is just making fun movies lol.

The MCU is so successful now and I think with them releasing so much content now, it’s natural that the criticism will become harsher as some people just seem sick of the MCU.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ohana said:

GoT actors are jinxing every high profile movie they take part in: 

Gods of Egypt - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: 15% on RT
Terminator Genisys - Emilia Clarke: 27% on RT
Seventh Son - Kit Harington: 12% on RT
The New Mutants - Maisie Williams: 35% on RT
X-Men Apocalypse - Sophie Turner: 47% on RT
The Predator (2018) - Alfie Allen: 32% on RT

I think Eternals could've stayed fresh if only one ex-GoT actor was in it, but with two of them? 😦 

Well...

Solo A Star Wars Story GIF by Star Wars

70% RT. Though, you could say that Clarke cursed the BO. 

5 hours ago, Ohana said:

GoT actors are jinxing every high profile movie they take part in: 

Gods of Egypt - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: 15% on RT
Terminator Genisys - Emilia Clarke: 27% on RT
Seventh Son - Kit Harington: 12% on RT
The New Mutants - Maisie Williams: 35% on RT
X-Men Apocalypse - Sophie Turner: 47% on RT
The Predator (2018) - Alfie Allen: 32% on RT

I think Eternals could've stayed fresh if only one ex-GoT actor was in it, but with two of them? 😦 

All apart from that one GOT actor that took part in Xmen DOFP and Avengers IW..:worthy:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

So Eternals doesn't look like an MCU movie in many ways, it has its flaws and obviously its great moment.
I have to metabolize and write an opinion

of course is better than Ant man2,THOR2, Cap1, IM2,Antman1

this is my opinion

2 post credit scene 🤯

So totally different than Captain Marvel but similar feel quality wise? I'm guessing with the pandemic unless this gets the greenlight in China and does well WW gross will be disappointing and we definitely don't do a sequel. Since it's a random one off, not sure it matters.

18 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

So totally different than Captain Marvel but similar feel quality wise? I'm guessing with the pandemic unless this gets the greenlight in China and does well WW gross will be disappointing and we definitely don't do a sequel. Since it's a random one off, not sure it matters.

Captain Marvel is currently the most fundamentally different of the Marvel films IMO.

- The structure of the movie consists almost entirely of a bunch of duologues.

- The amnesia plot line means our relationship to the protagonist is totally different from any other movie.

- The resolution is the protagonist choosing *not* to have a big showdown with the villain.

- The film is existential in nature and deals with matters of self-actualisation and who a person is, in contrast with the rest of the canon that is largely classical storytelling with mild social commentary.

The accusations of blandness from film commentariats really aren't in tune with the general audience. My dad's a 70+ year old conservative who likes westerns and thrillers. Captain Marvel is by far his favourite MCU movie.

I don't think we can tell much about how Eternals will be received yet by general audiences. There's a huge irony between the histrionics of the responses to the critical scores, compared to the fact that the critics themselves are pretty unanimous that the film is mostly mediocre and non-committal. 

Almost everything about the way things are setup give indications that slant young and Very Online. That's not the whole of the MCU's audience. I suspect older audiences, more female audiences and non-movie regular audiences will all have their own takes on this one - they might all shake out different, they might not - but I'm not trusting the *online movie discourse* on this one just yet.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Marvel does not pull the plug on a franchise, and I think if it makes even a modest profit there will be a sequel.

But, yeah, this is NOT a heavy hitter as far as Marvel comics franchises goes. Now if it were X Men or Fantastic Four, there will be a lot of nervous people at Marvel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Captain Marvel is currently the most fundamentally different of the Marvel films IMO.

- The structure of the movie consists almost entirely of a bunch of duologues.

- The amnesia plot line means our relationship to the protagonist is totally different from any other movie.

- The resolution is the protagonist choosing *not* to have a big showdown with the villain.

- The film is existential in nature and deals with matters of self-actualisation and who a person is, in contrast with the rest of the canon that is largely classical storytelling with mild social commentary.

The accusations of blandness from film commentariats really aren't in tune with the general audience. My dad's a 70+ year old conservative who likes westerns and thrillers. Captain Marvel is by far his favourite MCU movie.

I would give Captain Marvel a B rating. I think the plot meanders, it has a number of slow spots, and I don't think the attempts to be "deep" quite come off, but Brie Larson is excellent, and Ronan the Accuser is always a good villian. It's worth sitting through the weaker parts.

Question is if The Etenals the same, or do the bad points outnumber the good?

25 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If they made a black knight movie with sersi as a co-star, could it be considered as a second part of a sersi and black knight trilogy? ( since sersi is the mail character of the eternals movie aparently)

31 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Im not a huge fan of Cap Marvel movie so i prefer Eternals

Edited by fabiopazzo2
  • Like 1

I’ll be honest, I’ve been amazed in the past at some of the easy passes critics have given to a few of the MCU movies. 

They’re all enjoyable, if not particularly ambitious. Yet when you get one from a major filmmaker with huge ambition I think it does get judged differently by critics than some of the other movies. 

Honestly, I can’t wait for a swing for the fences from this, after a slew of overrated episodes in the MCU. 

I bet there’s sequences in this movie in terms of quality that make a mockery of the vast majority of the other films in the saga. We’ll see though. 

Sometimes mixed overall is better than safe and harmless. 

How many films we now love had mixed reviews when they opened? Countless. 

• Like 3

Never forget….

Michael Mann’s Miami Vice - 46% RT

Tony Scott’s Man on Fire - 38% RT

Just two examples of films with mixed reactions at the time which critics now fawn over. Also notable they’re both from directors with hugely acclaimed films in their armoury. Just like Zhao. 

• Like 2