ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

I’m afraid to ask (without looking at the last page) how Michael Mann’s filmography got invoked in this thread. 

Honestly I’m tempted to revisit the BOT threads from 2016 out of morbid curiosity, same way one looks at newspaper coverage of wars from lifetimes ago. 

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Miami Vice and the other movie both suck. 3,2 on letterboxd is nothing to write home about, and an article by 1 person doesn't prove anything Lol

Revisionism

yeah people are revising their opinions that's what we're talking about here. the movie is in the middle of a consensus shift. that 3.2 would've been like a 2.3 in 2006 and it's only going up baby. it took decades for night of the hunter to be recognised as a masterpiece too.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah people are revising their opinions that's what we're talking about here. the movie is in the middle of a consensus shift. that 3.2 would've been like a 2.3 in 2006 and it's only going up baby. it took decades for night of the hunter to be recognised as a masterpiece too.

So at this rate MV will be Criterion collected by 2050?

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

So at this rate MV will be Criterion collected by 2050?

There’s a snowball effect so eventually you’ll see it start to move a little faster. I expect it’ll be #1 in the Sight & Sound poll in 2032. Blackhat in the top 10.

4 hours ago, iamjesuisiam said:

Sorry for my poor English.

I saw the film tonight in France. My background: my favorite MCU movies : Endgame, Iron Man, WS, GOTGvol1 and Shang-Chi.

I don't think the movie is mediocre. But rather uninteresting. I didn't manage to get attached to a single character. None of them carry the weight of thousands, millions of years. Especially Kumail Nanjiani. The most useless and poorly written character in the MCU.
Gemma Chan is certainly a good actress, but I find her lost in this film, she has no charisma.
The only characters that interested me a little are Makkari and Phastos.
The rhythm is indigestible. Some Eternals are introduced after 90 minutes. We see them at the beginning and then nothing for 90 minutes.
The romances suck.There is no chemistry between Sersi and Ikaris.
The sex scene we were sold is ridiculously soft. Lion King sex scene is more sexual. The upside down kiss in Spider-Man 1 is WAY more sexual. 
I'm not talking about the inconsistencies on the power scales. We are told: x character is very strong! He or she could beat all the Eternals! But at the end, no. Absolutely not. Even Shang-Chi seems stronger.

There are some very serious things going on during the movie but that doesn't seem to affect the characters. Nothing seems serious when we hear about the end of the world. I don't believe in any stakesI don't understand why John Campea says the film is dense. Dune, Interstellar, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or Cloud Atlas are dense.

It seems like the "too many characters to introduce (11 new superheroes and their complicated triangle and quadrangle romantic relationships)" is definitely a big issue that most people agree. I guess they should have split the film into 2 parts (and also balanced out the overstuffed exposition and the action scenes) OR should have reduced the new heroes that they want to introduce. 
It's such a shame because I've skimmed through Korean's old and new reactions over the past hours and most of them said the action scenes look unique and aesthetic, especially the female characters' fighting style is elegant and quite powerful (their fav are Thena and Makkari), but the action scenes are too little compared to the yah-dah-yah-dah talking scenes. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Captain Marvel is currently the most fundamentally different of the Marvel films IMO.

- The structure of the movie consists almost entirely of a bunch of duologues.

- The amnesia plot line means our relationship to the protagonist is totally different from any other movie.

- The resolution is the protagonist choosing *not* to have a big showdown with the villain.

- The film is existential in nature and deals with matters of self-actualisation and who a person is, in contrast with the rest of the canon that is largely classical storytelling with mild social commentary.

The accusations of blandness from film commentariats really aren't in tune with the general audience. My dad's a 70+ year old conservative who likes westerns and thrillers. Captain Marvel is by far his favourite MCU movie.

I don't think we can tell much about how Eternals will be received yet by general audiences. There's a huge irony between the histrionics of the responses to the critical scores, compared to the fact that the critics themselves are pretty unanimous that the film is mostly mediocre and non-committal. 

Almost everything about the way things are setup give indications that slant young and Very Online. That's not the whole of the MCU's audience. I suspect older audiences, more female audiences and non-movie regular audiences will all have their own takes on this one - they might all shake out different, they might not - but I'm not trusting the *online movie discourse* on this one just yet.

Captain Marvel is horrible, Eternals shouldn't be as bad as 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Not sure I share all that excitement about Miami Vice, I have to rewatch it, but Man On Fire is a masterpiece, it gets better every time I rewatch it, maybe the best film in "brutal hero/anti-hero and little girl" subgenre.

Ever heard about Léon?

• Like 1

In my country, whenever there is a mention about the worst MCU movies, the most common answers of majority of people are CM and BW. There are so bad to the point it makes them unbearable. They can even describe how they are bad in a very passion way. lol 

Edited by Danhjpn

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

The reviews on Letterboxd generally seem alright, it's at 3.5 there atm.

It's too early to use letterboxed it just at 53 reviews .

B.W 3.4 1.6k

Shangchi 3.8 858.

Blackwidow was around 3.5 on its opening weekend .

There is still alot of room  for the score to swing. But doubt it will move by much.