ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

5 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Moderation

We can talk about the RT score without dumping all over the movie or rooting for this movie to fail.

@Lucas @iamjesuisiam We don't need your whole "let's goooo" or "the red capes are coming" memes. You're adults, so act like one.

I do agree, but my post wasn't about the film lol, it was about my dumb prediction from last week looking like it's gonna be accurate - hence why it's quoted.

22 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

God, this thing is 157 minutes? This may actually be the first MCU movie I don’t see in the cinema.

Beat ya to it with Black Widow and Shang-Chi.  It's the new Bollywood-style norm, apparently -- 155-160 minutes.  Bond, this, Dune, apparently Spider-Man... Dune's story arguably deserves it more than most of the rest... Next year they'll be edging 3 hours just to fit in all the multi-million visual effects sequence investment... 

Edited by Macleod

Bites off more than it can chew, exposition dumps are clunky and the villains are a non starter BUT I actually really dug it. First MCU film I've particularly liked in years and the first sincere Marvel film in forever. There was only ONE emotional moment undercut by a quip, aside from that they actually let the humanity and emotion play out. It's amusing that they saved all the worst looking shots for the trailer since the movie mostly looks pretty good. No idea how audiences will react, I don't think kids will like it judging by the one in front of me rocking his seat and fidgeting the whole time. Also, there was absolutely ZERO reason Kumail needed to roid out like he did haha.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

86% start on RT verified score. Not great but let's see where it goes with more reviews. Similar start to Venom 2 which got a B+ Cinemascore. 

Still, it's not the worst that could happen. B+ was likely ever since reviews but just hoping it doesn't go down to B. 

Edited by Menor
  • Sad 1

Alright, so I saw the movie and here are my non spoilery thoughts. This movie is super ambitious but there's A LOT to digest. Even with a 2 and a half hour run time. this thing doesn't really slow down to fill you in on what heck is going on before moving to the next thing. By the end of the movie, it comes together but by then you're kind of overwhelmed by the stuff you may have missed trying to figure everything out. I'm definitely going to need a second rewatch now that I have a better feel for who these characters are and what they can do; because there really was a lot of enjoyable content here but it was just a bit overwhelming.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Bites off more than it can chew, exposition dumps are clunky and the villains are a non starter BUT I actually really dug it. First MCU film I've particularly liked in years and the first sincere Marvel film in forever. There was only ONE emotional moment undercut by a quip, aside from that they actually let the humanity and emotion play out. It's amusing that they saved all the worst looking shots for the trailer since the movie mostly looks pretty good. No idea how audiences will react, I don't think kids will like it judging by the one in front of me rocking his seat and fidgeting the whole time. Also, there was absolutely ZERO reason Kumail needed to roid out like he did haha.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts to a T. I really enjoyed it. I won't go into any details on this thread but I guess I can see why critics are split on it but I expect the audience scores will lean much closer to favorability. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts to a T. I really enjoyed it. I won't go into any details on this thread but I guess I can see why critics are split on it but I expect the audience scores will lean much closer to favorability. 

Based on the way things are going, my guess is this will be reasonably popular with MCU fans (i.e. not considered one of the worst MCU movies by the fanbase) but the RT verified score hasn't started off too encouragingly. Not disastrous but not very good either. 

12 minutes ago, Menor said:

Based on the way things are going, my guess is this will be reasonably popular with MCU fans (i.e. not considered one of the worst MCU movies by the fanbase) but the RT verified score hasn't started off too encouragingly. Not disastrous but not very good either. 

It'll probably be in the low-70's. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to a portion of the GA and more so to the Marvelites. I think the eventual sequel will be much more well received across the board. 

• Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

It'll probably be in the low-70's. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to a portion of the GA and more so to the Marvelites. I think the eventual sequel will be much more well received across the board. 

Low 70s would be disastrous, but thankfully the RT verified usually doesn't change by more than a few points after preview night. Will likely stay above 80. 

Just now, Menor said:

Low 70s would be disastrous, but thankfully the RT verified usually doesn't change by more than a few points after preview night. Will likely stay above 80. 

Ahh ok, I don't really pay attention to RT so I just assumed it would fall similar to how the critics rating fell. 

13 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Ahh ok, I don't really pay attention to RT so I just assumed it would fall similar to how the critics rating fell. 

From my experience, the critics score in RT can change much but the verified audience score doen't often change much. 

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Lowest was Thor 2 with B+. Dropped 57 in second week and 61 in second. Last A- was Ant Man 2 which actually was 61 and 43.

Both Thor and Antman 2 had 75% audience score on RT......... hmmmmmmmm. 
Is there any other Marvel movie which had around 85% audience score on RT but had an A cinema score? 

Edited by Danhjpn