ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

On one hand genuinely happy that I quite enjoyed but also a bit frustrated that this could have been great. Everything was good for me but because there's so much packed in there isn't enough time devoted to each character or relationship to really have that emotional impact. 

Still definitely a solid entry in the MCU and one of the better offerings of Phase 4 so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exomassey said:

The reaction with critics and audiences is really awful. 

MCU’s first genuine misfire. I wonder how Marvel Studios will react now. Looks like Zhao was already set up to make a sequel…

First genuine misfire.... So you missed The last 10 year of The MCU?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, lab276 said:

The critical reception to this, compared to any other Marvel movie, is completely baffling to me.

As someone who hasn't yet seen the movie but seen trailers and knowing the premise, it looks like at least the reviews in my country seem pretty consistent and unsurprising. For me, Eternals looked as a tough act to pull off beforehand: 10+ new characters to introduce, make people care about them, and create enough character development at least for the main ones; gay equality and representing different cultures & history around the world themes; introducing a world and superhero creation mythology; and having a compelling, coherent story arc and plot to wrap this all in.

It seems too ambitious and can easily end up as a mess that isn't more than the sum of its parts but dilutes its parts. On paper, like Avengers, it would need its "Iron Mans", "Captain Americans", and so on to lure people step by step in that world and different characters. As a contrast, Ocean's Eleven worked even though it had 10+ characters but it had a simple, easy to swallow, and familiar heist plot without trying to add additional themes beyond character developments while marching the familiar plot line with a twist.

Here the average critics ratings are around 2/5, and in short they say that Eternals try to do too many things at once ending up in a mess. They applaud trying to be different and see that there are ingredients to make it work, but that it just didn't work this time because too much of everything (things mentioned here in the beginning) which made all the parts more or less superficial, and didn't even entertain like MCU movies normally. Relative to other MCU movies they say it's not the worst but is closer to the bottom end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

terrible movie. puts marvel back to the 90s in terms of shit quality. This is heading into 46/47 level, its a total turd. even the fight scenes are so lame & pathetic and theres no tension at all. The editing is so poor. This easily has the worst villains ever in marvel movie history since 2000.

It really is a D grade marvel film. Average Marvel film is around 60s/70s at worst.

Spoiler

the real villains make no sense - where are the powerful celestials during endgame? where the F is the continuity? the movie is a giant hot mess/plot hole.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MODERATION:

Hopefully I can cut out like 50 pages by saying:

Two things can be true at once.
(a) Films by non-white men can be judged harder by critic pool made up of mostly white men.

(b) Non-white male filmmakers can make just a shitty a movie as white male filmmakers. 

😘

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AJG said:

Just saw it.

REVIEW IN A PIC

artworks-000313690491-oea8in-t500x500.jp

I was going to write a review but life is short

HIGH RENTAL - This was a dull time. 

A bad MCU film is still good enough to be something you can have on in the background whilst you work or do the ironing. This film is not one of them. I don't know if I will ever see it again or want to see it again. It's not a train-wreck its just not engaging, it's not that much fun, and visually there's not much to look at. The fight scenes are bog standard, the least inventive action in an MCU film. Hack Snyder fans thinking this could be the MCU's BvS or MoS will be disappointed. 

Edited by AJG