ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

Just came out.

Poeple were saying the first 1 hour was slow and I do agree but oh boy was it a hot mess ,past and present scenes didn't mesh well and it was all over the place. 

The second half was more focused and saved the movie though the third act didn't quite land properly for me

Deviants plotline was also terrible.

Eternals across the board were good but needed more development, Sersi was the only exception ,she was pretty bland.

Arimesh was Mind-blowing.

Chloe zhao didn't quite get it together. Side with the critics at least on the first half.

First act 3/10

Middle act 7.5/10

Third act. 6/10

Will lower my score from original  6.7 to Weak 6 /10 just  below even black widow.

Edit : watched it a second time with a friend .

Ranking

GOTG

Infinty War

Avengers

Winter soldier

Civil war

Thor ragnarok

Endgame

Ironman

GOTG 2

AOU

IM3

FFH

First avenger

Ant-man

Shangchi

Black panther

Thor

Homecoming

BW

Dr strange

Eternals

IM2

Ant-man and the wasp

Captain marvel

Incredible hulk

TDW.

Shows

What if

Wanda vision

Loki

FATWS

Edited by Liiviig 1998

1 hour ago, Cap said:

MODERATION:

Hopefully I can cut out like 50 pages by saying:

Two things can be true at once.
(a) Films by non-white men can be judged harder by critic pool made up of mostly white men.

(b) Non-white male filmmakers can make just a shitty a movie as white male filmmakers. 

😘

I have to disagree the a) here. Is there any evidence of this?

Reflecting on the Variety's utter non-sensical claim that "...any time a woman takes on the action genre, people come harder at that filmmaker". That is divisive and dangerous rhetoric carelessly thrown out there without any real foundation to be used as an excuse.

If you dig all the critic backgrounds, I'm sure we can find a chauvinist and a bigot (and their opposites) but to say that there is some larger, systematic skew that would shift e.g. RT points 5-10% or even more. Not without some kind of evidence or logical reasoning not based just one's feelings.

I grew up in rural and urban environments and in addition to my comic book fandom I watched all the action flicks with my friends. Throughout the decades the dozens of men, and women, (now 30-50yr olds) that watched these action flicks with me never, not a single time, commented in anyway about director's, or lead's, gender that it was a reason to dislike or like the movie. All that mattered was the story, theme, how good were the action scenes, how believable and well written the characters were, was their humour, etc.

We enjoyed Kathryn Bigelow's Point Break and Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman (did these "chauvinistic" critics shoot those down?!). We loved Sigourney Weaver's Ripley in Aliens and Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor in Terminators. And what a characters they were!! How they grew and developed!

We're not talking about here if overtly critical or even chauvinistic and bigoted critics exist, but if they exist in larger enough amounts that can shoot down a movie made by a woman filmmaker in its overall critic ratings?

No, not without any evidence, or logical reasoning that resembles some kind of valid argumentation than "critics are made up of mostly white men". We can do better.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

You have created that which you sought to destroy 👀

I haven't laughed and chuckled this much for any other post on the forum than this. It's a total brainf**k considering the context, how I myself played into this, and how nobody wants to see that 50 pages but the feeling is that it's like a tsunami. It moves silently under the calm water but when it hits the underwater tectonic plate it rises from the ocean like a roar. You can't run from it, no matter how hard you try.

tsunami GIF

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

In the modern run of superhero films, is B the lowest they've gotten, with this and Bvs?

Dark Phoenix has them beat as far as big budget action in a major franchise (B-). Fantastic Four got a C-

Edited by Eternal Legion

Just now, Eternal Legion said:

Dark Phoenix has them beat as far as big budget action in a major franchise (B-). Fantastic Four got a C-

Oh yeah I forgot about those two (I wonder why). Fucking no one is gonna touch that C- lmao.

The indie looking shots (yes lots of sunsets and desolate landscapes) vs the superhero goob is such a stark contrast in this one, comparable to other trainwrecks products of intense studio meddling.

Never seen a Zhao film, but she basically served as a glorified DP here.

Edited by Goffe

Just now, Goffe said:

Never seen a Zhao film

Nomadland is one of the most boring Oscar winners I've ever seen and Eternals fits in perfectly with it.

Intense studio meddling probably would've done this film some good imo.

• Like 1

Movie was ok. I mean it's just a marvel movie. The only reason those male critics born in the 70s and 80s hate it is because it's not the indiana jones meeting back to the future formula every marvel movie has. Or at least it's a little bit different. 

There is no real cinematic reason to say this is worst than the last 2 spider man or captain marvel or whatever, it's just harmeless cinema like every marvel movie. If you can love more than a type of harmless blockbusters you can love this too. It's not a disaster. I don't  know how someone can call this boring while the first half than Avengers (2012) entertaining. That's still my most boring hour ever in a cinema. 

• Disbelief 1