ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

52 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Movie was ok. I mean it's just a marvel movie. The only reason those male critics born in the 70s and 80s hate it is because it's not the indiana jones meeting back to the future formula every marvel movie has. Or at least it's a little bit different. 

There is no real cinematic reason to say this is worst than the last 2 spider man or captain marvel or whatever, it's just harmeless cinema like every marvel movie. If you can love more than a type of harmless blockbusters you can love this too. It's not a disaster. I don't  know how someone can call this boring while the first half than Avengers (2012) entertaining. That's still my most boring hour ever in a cinema. 

The first half is a mess and all over the place and it's not just because it's not within marvel formula.

May be just bse you didn't see flaws don't mean they ain't there.

I know critics ain't perfect but not everytime someone has a differing opinions does it mean critics have it out for the movie , sometimes a movie has issues or flaws that can ruin a movie experience.

The first hour of avengers is some of the best mcu content . It introduces us to the characters and their motivations and when the action comes we care for this characters.

MCU in the later phases though I love some of those movies has been way to many quips and action sequences for the sake of throwing in action sequences so the audience doesn't get bored.

Poeple give phase one and early phase two shit though understandable .This phases created alot of backbone esp character development which paid off in the later phases.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Never seen a Zhao film, but she basically served as a glorified DP here.

Let's be fair, here.  There's no way of knowing this unless you were there on set.  

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well at least Feige seems very happy, maybe he care about this way less than us since he know it won't change nothing in the MCU.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV8WnkpF2d9/?utm_medium=copy_link

...But I thought this movie was supposed to change everything about the MCU??  😉

Of course they look happy, it's still opening weekend game-face. 

Come Monday morning, other decisions are made...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well at least Feige seems very happy, maybe he care about this way less than us since he know it won't change nothing in the MCU.

is this really the face of a man who's taking it well or someone coping through the pain?

m67mjbT.jpg?1

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

May be just bse you didn't see flaws don't mean they ain't there.

Bit of a weird argument. Obviously, if you don't see flaws, then they aren't there for you! This isn't some math where you can prove that X or Y flaw exists. All of this is in the eye of the viewer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

In no way shape or form is Feige happy at all about what’s going on this weekend and what lead up to this release lol. But he’s done an amazing job with the mcu so I don’t expect to see any panic from him like we’ve seen from other studio’s in the past. 

• Like 1

Like Zack Snyder before her, Chloé Zhao deconstructs her superheroes and forces them to question their purpose in the world, through meditative and melancholy narrative beats.

(...)

Zhao has joined the ranks of Richard Donner and Zack Snyder as one of the few filmmakers to fully embrace the mythological aspects of these characters. The Snyder comparison is particularly relevant given both filmmakers’ approach to the collective history of the characters explored. And Eternals shares the divisive response to the Snyder’s Man of Steel (2013) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), which similarly took a deconstructive approach to superheroes and forced them to question their purpose in the world, through meditative and melancholy narrative beats, and a tragic yet hopeful ending. In a recent interview with the French site, Film Actu, Zhao cited Snyder as an inspiration for the film, particularly her take on Ikaris (Richard Madden), saying “Of all the modern interpretations of Superman, Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel inspired me the most because he approached this myth in an authentic and very real way…this film left a strong impression on me.”

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Bit of a weird argument. Obviously, if you don't see flaws, then they aren't there for you! This isn't some math where you can prove that X or Y flaw exists. All of this is in the eye of the viewer. 

Editing, acting, cinematography, elements like character development, set up pay off. 

Why do you think film schools exists, why do people harness skills like becoming actors,directors,writers.

They are standards a film can be judged on.

Me liking or not liking a movie doesn't  automatically make it good and bad. Other wise they would be no good films and bad films.

The room , terminator genysys etc...are poorly made movies whether a viewer likes them will not change that.

Godfather,lotr ,citizen kane.... are well made movies and if viewer hates it really doesn't make them bad ,they remain Good movies.

I love the transformers movies and they carry a place in my heart but from 2 onwards this movies have tons of problems and are  terribly written.

Ofcorse I've given extremes on both sides and lots of movies quality can be debated on.

You loving a movie doesn't erase it flaws if it has any. It just means it's flaws didn't affect your enjoyment of a film.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Editing, acting, cinematography, elements like character development, set up pay off. 

Why do you think film schools exists, why do people harness skills like becoming actors,directors,writers.

They are standards a film can be judged on.

Me liking or not liking a movie doesn't  automatically make it good and bad. Other wise they would be no good films and bad films.

You loving a movie doesn't erase it flaws if it has any. It just means it's flaws didn't affect your enjoyment of a film.

Film schools exist so people learn the techniques that generally (in a heuristic sense) maximize reception. That has nothing to do with whether anything about judging films is "objective."

There are standards that films can be judged on, but who decides which standards should be more important and how a viewer should evaluate each film by said standards? Only you can decide which standards matter to you. 

Of course there are good and bad films! But it's an opinion whether something is good or bad. So what is good and bad differs per viewer. 

If the flaws don't affect enjoyment, then I hardly see why they should be considered flaws. A flaw is something that affects the viewing experience. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Film schools exist so people learn the techniques that generally (in a heuristic sense) maximize reception. That has nothing to do with whether anything about judging films is "objective."

There are standards that films can be judged on, but who decides which standards should be more important and how a viewer should evaluate each film by said standards? Only you can decide which standards matter to you. 

Of course there are good and bad films! But it's an opinion whether something is good or bad. So what is good and bad differs per viewer. 

If the flaws don't affect enjoyment, then I hardly see why they should be considered flaws. A flaw is something that affects the viewing experience. 

Transformers movies have a lot of flaws and they don't affect my enjoyment but they still flaws.

I get what you mean like some can find flaws based on personal tastes like for example some don't like violence and gore in their movies.

Then there flaws within a script which whether which we enjoy and ignore but it doesn't seize to be a flaw . E g in transformers the last knight megatron appears back in his old scrappy form yet he was morphed into galvatron in the previous movie, No explanation is provided and it's dumb plothole that halts continuity .

Whether I enjoy it doesn't seize to make it a dumb plothole that halts continuity.

Attack of the clones has some bad CGI whether I choose it doesn't affect me and I enjoy the movie will not turn into good cgi ,it will remain bad CGI.

We all have things that can ruin a movie experience based on our preferences but they are also writing flaws that are just mistakes and whether we enjoy them will not seize to make them flaws.

Plothole ,contradiction, continuity error will remain as they are  just because we enjoy the movie and ignore will not puff them away.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

I just got out of Eternals, and loved almost every minute of it. I’m not saying it’s consistently great, but I was intrigued  and entertained throughout. Certainly a different flavor than every other MCU film, which I liked. I’m honestly shocked the reviews are so middling, whereas something as generic as Black Widow is sitting at around 80%.

• Like 3

Mixed bag on this.

I found it dramatically inert a lot of the time. Main characters have such a lack of chemistry and are played so blank that it's difficult to connect. Supporting cast fair better, they feel relatable and have palpable chemistry among some of them. Suffers from the problem of Godly people dealing with Godly problems. It's a mess pacing wise, it's such a straightforward plot but takes such a long time to kick into gear. 

Action was fairly decent, was a little better than the usual 'here's just a bunch of stuff', there was a bit more choreography and intention to it. Loved the speedster stuff specifically. I did find the film pretty funny throughout as well which kept me entertained. There's a couple of things that the film tries to contend with on a thematic level and character level that I did find very interesting. Quite bold for Marvel. 

Visually Zhao's Malick-esque natural lighting/flowing camera work nice in daytime/dusk/dawn/montages. Things get a little murky in night scenes. Sound mixing was again below par. Score did not stand out and I love Ramin Djwadi. 

Ranking Time

Spoiler

1. Avengers: Endgame

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. The Avengers

5. Black Panther

6. Thor: Ragnarok

7. Guardians of the Galaxy

8. Shang- Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

9. Captain America: Civil War

10. WandaVision

11. Iron Man 3

12. Iron Man

13. Spider-Man: Far From Home

14. Spider-Man: Homecoming

15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

16. Eternals

17. Captain America: The First Avenger

18. Loki

19. Falcon and the Winter Soldier

20. Ant-Man

21. What If?

22. Avengers: Age of Ultron

23. Thor

24. Black Widow

25. Captain Marvel

26. Doctor Strange

27. Ant-Man and the Wasp

28. Thor: The Dark World

29. Iron Man 2

30. The Incredible Hulk

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think people pay a little too much attention to critic reception and audience reception and not enough to Feige reception. As far as predicting future impact, I mean. Obviously, you’d prefer to hit a triple, which is what the mcu usually does. But the implications moving forward for a movie with poor critic and audience that Feige personally thinks is great are probably quite different than poor critic and audience+Feige personally thinks is kind of weak.    

Could all be PR BS of course, but based on the difference in reception among fans and GA I suspect that Feige genuinely thought, and still thinks, that this movie rocks (which is fair, ‘cause — it does). Actions speak louder than words so we’ll see how it all develops in a year or three, but I just don’t see much of a kneejerk  change of plans being likely.

Edited by Eternal Legion