ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

3 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Just a simple question that dawned me. 

Has anyone tried to read those rotten reviews to understand why they think it's rotten?

Yeah, I read them. Still don't get it. It's not that I don't understand what they wrote, it's that I can't square it with what I watched. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah, I read them. Still don't get it. It's not that I don't understand what they wrote, it's that I can't square it with what I watched. 

The only real thing I can agree on with the general negative reviews is the pacing. You could trim a solid 10 minutes out to tighten things up a bit.

Maybe they've had it for a while and I just wasnt paying a ton of attention but...is this Audience Consensus thing on RT a new feature?

KsaCVek.jpg

Edit: checked other recent releases and I guess it's a relatively recent thing since it wasn't around pre covid.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Macleod said:

Why Is Chloé Zhao’s ‘Eternals’ Being Called the Worst MCU Movie Ever?

For Reasons That Are Not Onscreen (Column)

https://variety.com/2021/film/columns/chloe-zhaos-eternals-worst-mcu-movie-why-1235106850/

Could be right obviously, but does not seem quite scientific

On a recent episode of The Take, my colleagues Clayton Davis and Elizabeth Wagmeister agreed that the “Eternals”-as-MCU-disaster idea was, on some level, not unrelated to the fact that the film’s director is a woman. “Anytime a woman takes on the action genre, which has been made typically for men to helm,” explained Davis, “people come down harder on that filmmaker.” I think there is much truth to that assertion. A recent example: We saw the same kind of gnashing critical overstatement when Cathy Yan directed the 2020 DC film “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).

Bird of prey is at 79% on RT (78% audience), seem a bit misremembering that people went overboard with the critics on that one

Wonder Woman was completely raved 

Captain Marvel is at 79% on RT

Point break ? 

Would reviews for Birds of Prey, captain marvel, Charlies Angels, Wonder Woman, Eternals better if the director would have been anonymous... maybe but that do not feel obvious at all. The harder question would be more the woman sensibility (the actual movie) that influence and not at all some critical bias from the reviewer looking at the name and picture, that are in general hungry to love a good woman directed action movie, that maybe but that touch was in good part what made Wonder Woman such a smash hit.

Again could be true, but the large budget sample size is so small and you have the 93% general acclaimed Wonder Woman, the middle of the pack well reviewed Captain Marvel/Bird of Prey and the lower review one like WW84 and Eternals not sure any explanation is required here, is that different than if we would look at men action movies reception distribution ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

These arguments about people being harder with blockbusters directed by woman should focus more on the audiences than critics, because the problem exist, people are just focusing on the wrong side.

One thing is a fact: woman have a different way to perceive the world and this is noticeable in movies because their touches are all over them even if you doesn't consciously realize it. Woman directing usually isn't a problem because their movies are smaller, only recently this start to change for good on blockbuster industry and i feel parts of this larger audience still have a problem to deal with these movies because they're somehow different from what we're seeing for decades since they're made from people with different visions and experiences, you can't hide that, but it generate some dissonance with parts of the audience for some reason.

Patty Jenkins manage the incredible achievement of making a Wonder Woman movie that make women happy without start any major drama, maybe because the movie itself follow a more expected structure and thematic, but after that we have many examples of rejection or major problems surrounding all the big movies directed by woman, even the good reviwed ones.

From Captain Marvel, to Birds Of Prey, Mulan, WW84, Black Widow and Eternals, all of this movies were inserted on major drama without any significant reason. Captain Marvel rollout was a complete chaos, BOP have to deal with attacks and meltdowns only for correct the sexyst aproach Harley suffered on Suicide Squad, Mulan rollout as chaotic just like CM for reasons that have little or nothing to do with the movie, WW84 tried a more sentimental aproach and was despised globally, BW similarly focused a lot on sentiments and family while also bring the sexism conversation during the rollout that bring backlash to it, and of course Eternals with the most diverse cast of all SH movies that also generate attacks, review bombs etc even before the movie came out.

I really feel like critics isn't a part of this, 4 of this examples are actually pretty well reviewed. You can argue that all this movie have their flaws which i agreed completely, but have flaws usually doesn't make any movie to start political wars online. For parts of the audience there's clearly an issue, when all the 6 blockbusters directed by woman in the past two years were overshadowed by major dramas and backlash you can't say there wasn't a pattern. Is hard to say how much this impact things like box office, Cinemascore etc, but it definitely happened, many people really go way harder on them.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4
  • Disbelief 2

When I first got out of the theater, I was concerned that I might be getting whammies by recency bias and have to bring it down to median or so a bit later. Instead I’m beginning to suspect it will move up a place or two on rewatch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

These arguments about people being harder with blockbusters directed by woman should focus more on the audiences than critics, because the problem exist, people are just focusing on the wrong side.

One thing is a fact: woman have a different way to perceive the world and this is noticeable in movies because their touches are all over them even if you doesn't consciously realize it. Woman directing usually isn't a problem because their movies are smaller, only recently this start to change for good on blockbuster industry and i feel parts of this larger audience still have a problem to deal with these movies because they're somehow different from what we're seeing for decades since they're made from people with different visions and experiences, you can't hide that, but it generate some dissonance with parts of the audience for some reason.

Patty Jenkins manage the incredible achievement of making a Wonder Woman movie that make women happy without start any major drama, maybe because the movie itself follow a more expected structure and thematic, but after that we have many examples of rejection or major problems surrounding all the big movies directed by woman, even the good reviwed ones.

From Captain Marvel, to Birds Of Prey, Mulan, WW84, Black Widow and Eternals, all of this movies were inserted on major drama without any significant reason. Captain Marvel rollout was a complete chaos, BOP have to deal with attacks and meltdowns only for correct the sexyst aproach Harley suffered on Suicide Squad, Mulan rollout as chaotic just like CM for reasons that have little or nothing to do with the movie, WW84 tried a more sentimental aproach and was despised globally, BW similarly focused a lot on sentiments and family while also bring the sexism conversation during the rollout that bring backlash to it, and of course Eternals with the most diverse cast of all SH movies that also generate attacks, review bombs etc even before the movie came out.

I really feel like critics isn't a part of this, 4 of this examples are actually pretty well reviewed. You can argue that all this movie have their flaws which i agreed completely, but have flaws usually doesn't make any movie to start political wars online. For parts of the audience there's clearly an issue, when all the 6 blockbusters directed by woman in the past two years were overshadowed by major dramas and backlash you can't say there wasn't a pattern. Is hard to say how much this impact things like box office, Cinemascore etc, but it definitely happened, many people really go way harder on them.

The main demographics for action blockbusters are males.   

Most of the movies that you stated above have a male majority audience (60/40 split) , saved for Wonder Woman (50/50).  

None of the movies have a major female majority.   

I think it's time to stop deflecting criticism by blaming demographic that supports these movies the most. 

• Like 3

Men always decide what is better in every corner of art, nothing new. There are so many unoriginal gangster movies with such an undeserved consideration by critics and academics over so much better romantic movies only because men feel them more. That's the point, the difference is more in the feelings than in the surface of their opinions.

Edited by vale900