ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Even though I don’t think this movie is great or anything, I am a bit confused why, out of 26 MCU movies, this is the one where critics and audiences drew the line. 

Because it's not their favourite film. Critics always haunts film which they don't like. Just ignore them 😉

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Even though I don’t think this movie is great or anything, I am a bit confused why, out of 26 MCU movies, this is the one where critics and audiences drew the line. 

Cause it was presented as an Academy award hopeful (not a winner, but it's clear they wanted a nom), so they judged it by those standards I feel, with probably more than a bit of intentional effort to put it down for its ambitions.

36 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeah. Like i didn't exactly love it but this was so much better than Shang Chi IMO.

Shang Chi had one of the worst 3rd acts of any MCU film IMO, (bad) CGI fest

+ spoken mandarin accent was all over the place..and the acting of the leads were pretty bad.

Eternals at least took risk...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, The GOAT said:

The main demographics for action blockbusters are males.   

Most of the movies that you stated above have a male majority audience (60/40 split) , saved for Wonder Woman (50/50).  

None of the movies have a major female majority.   

I think it's time to stop deflecting criticism by blaming demographic that supports these movies the most. 

I didn't blame males, i said "parts of the audience", and i didn't lie.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

The expectations are too high (partially thanks to Feige), so the disappointment hit harder.

But also, i think this movie is a proof that all the complains about "MCU movies are all the same" is just bullshit, familiarity is what people ultimately wanted.

I didn't saw it yet, but i'm sure the movie does have problems of rhyrhm, editing, characters building etc. Still, this is something that happened many times on MCU, movies like Ultron, Captain Marvel, damn even Guardians 2 (which i personally love) have problems of rhythm, editing and characters not developed enough, still why the problems for those movies didn't stopped them of being well received but becomes a huge complain with Eternals? 

The most obvious reason i can think is that some of the MCU less well received movies despite these same problems give people familiarity, high energy fun sequences, the feeling that they're watching something that matches they're expectations of what this franchise is, so they still pleased, just ignoring the problems a bit. When people see the problems in a movie that throw away the familiarity they have a harder timing ignoring what is wrong.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I didn't blame males, i said "parts of the audience", and i didn't lie.

Which parts of the audience* could you possibly mean 🙄?  

Anyways If Disney/WB didn't want those films to face more male-centric criticism, then they should've done a better job getting females in the theatres. 

Edited by The GOAT
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Which demographic could you possibly mean 🙄?  

Anyways If Disney/WB didn't want those films to face more male-centric criticism, then they should've done a better job getting females in the theatres. 

I'm not blaming any full demographic wtf. You're making it look like i said "every man hates woman and their movies" with this demographic division and it doesn't even make sense, i'm a male myself why would i say that?

I said "parts of the audience have a problem with it" exactly to make it clear that is just a portion of people (which yes included some man, but not majority or all of them), and not blame entire groups which would be unfair and hypocritical.

Anyway, i didn't said what you understand so that's it, this discussion is useless, i'm finishing it here.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The expectations are too high (partially thanks to Feige), so the disappointment hit harder.

But also, i think this movie is a proof that all the complains about "MCU movies are all the same" is just bullshit, familiarity is what people ultimately wanted.

I didn't saw it yet, but i'm sure the movie does have problems of rhyrhm, editing, characters building etc. Still, this is something that happened many times on MCU, movies like Ultron, Captain Marvel, damn even Guardians 2 (which i personally love) have problems of rhythm, editing and characters not developed enough, still why the problems for those movies didn't stopped them of being well received but becomes a huge complain with Eternals? 

The most obvious reason i can think is that some of the MCU less well received movies despite these same problems give people familiarity, high energy fun sequences, the feeling that they're watching something that matches they're expectations of what this franchise is, so they still pleased, just ignoring the problems a bit. When people see the problems in a movie that throw away the familiarity they have a harder timing ignoring what is wrong.

I think you probably have the main drivers for the critics' overreaction here. Maybe add MCU fatigue. After seeing so many similar style MCU movies coming out for over a decade, now that there is a different kind with an acclaimed director, the expectations were even higher and the same challenges that Ultron, CM, etc. had aren't so easily overlooked. Then add to that certain kind of pack behaviour / opening floodgates phenomenon, and rest is history.

I think we all can agree that having a woman director wasn't any of the main drivers for all these rotten reviews, or for the GA response. Probably 90% of the GA don't know who Chloe Zhao is and the most don't even know (and care) if a woman or man directed this. This forum and Twitter are a whole other world and a vast minority compared to that GA that these big blockbusters need to draw in.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

And just look at IMDB top 100, how many of those are male-centric film? It is so hard to find one female centric on IMDB top recommended list such as Spirited away, or Silence of the lambs. Or maybe only few of ensemble cast like Parasite. 

IMDB users are by a giant majority males, loved by males movie making it's top 100 would make a lot of sense, but I am not sure what to conclude from that (how would it be otherwise ?).

How much influence on the cannon of what is good something like the IMDB user base really has, a lot ? or disregarded as neck beard basement dweller voters, we cannot say that the cannon has Shawshank above Godfather and Kubrick output because of IMDB influence or Dark Knight better than all of Scorsese output either.

If we look at world critic, the top 10 most acclaimed movies of the 21th century look something like that

https://www.theyshootpictures.com/21stcentury.htm

The 10 Most Acclaimed Films of the 21st Century
1. IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE Wong Kar-wai
2. MULHOLLAND DR. David Lynch
3. YI YI Edward Yang
4. THE TREE OF LIFE Terrence Malick
5. THERE WILL BE BLOOD Paul Thomas Anderson
6. SPIRITED AWAY Hayao Miyazaki
7. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND Michel Gondry
8. CACHÉ Michael Haneke
9. TROPICAL MALADY Apichatpong Weerasethakul
10. UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES Apichatpong Weerasethakul

Same goes into box office talk, it will tend to be a very male conversation (and a bit numbers obsess people) where the giant success of the Nancy Meyers of the world will not have has much attention has Tarantino. But I am not sure that the people talking about box office success on the Internet decide anything.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Watched this, don't get the hate at all. Sure it's different than most CBMs and highly ambitious at times. The cinematography is excellent, Zhao bought her own vibe to the movie.  It's nowhere near Thor TDW/The Incredible Hulk levels lol.

TIH is much better than TDW.

• Like 2

80% verified audience score on Rotten Tomatoes (Shang Chi 98%, Black Widow 91%)

47% all critics

40% top critics 

Still only 309 reviews, less than other recent big films (Dune has 406, NTTD 362).

But I noticed Shang Chi only has 313 reviews, where Black Widow has 437… strange.