ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yes, I think the Marvel fanboys are  having a hard time accepting that a Marvel film did not get a good reception.

It had to happen sometime. Marvel simply could not keep it's streak running for ever.

Can you stop the passive agressive "marvel fanboys"

• Like 3

Finally watched this. 

I don’t know what the problem is, I thought it was quite good. I know nothing about these characters but I enjoyed all of them for the most part. Not enough Ajak though. 

It does slow down a bit in the middle but it was fine and I loved the whole third act. 

Id say a solid B+ overall 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Rewatched it and its now in my 8/10 Tier Marvel.

https://letterboxd.com/itsjat32/list/marvel-cinematic-universe-ranked/

Also I thought it will be released in IMAX ratio, but it wasn't. Sad.

You're indian right? That's weird, US / Europe / Latin America all get the IMAX version, they should release globally since it's a global service and deal.

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

Finally watched this. 

I don’t know what the problem is, I thought it was quite good. I know nothing about these characters but I enjoyed all of them for the most part. Not enough Ajak though. 

It does slow down a bit in the middle but it was fine and I loved the whole third act. 

Id say a solid B+ overall 

I don't get it either. There are actually bad Marvel movies, this isn't one of them. Hell, BW was crap and that got a pass. Go figure.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Just watched this on Disney plus. It’s much better the 2nd time around. Only saw it in theaters the one time. We can talk spoilers now right? The best scene IMO is Ikaris’ heel turn. His acting is really top notch and you believe that he is doing what he believes to be the right thing. Protecting his mission at all costs.  If you don’t buy into this I don’t see how the 3rd act can work for you at all. I think it’s a shame Richard Madden won’t be in any sequels but maybe that’s a moot point considering the box office.

The scale of the celestial was amazing even at home on my tv. I can’t wait to see how MCU does a comic accurate GALACTUS.

Oh yeah and the score is really growing on me. Love this theme!

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 7

This did play better 2nd time around, in fact I'm willing to bump up my rating to 6/10. Some of the same problems remain, but its bursting at the seams with interesting thematic ideas (whether they're all dramatically compelling is whole other issue.) Some roll their eyes at the Marvel trademarks with the quips/banter but they help here at times when you're perhaps not completely sold on the proceedings. Its watchable. That's the weird thing for me. I remember when I gave second chances to notably polarizing spandex films like MOS and Ang Lee's Hulk and they didn't move up from my indifference so that's something I guess.

Great imagery though. Probably destined to be a cult favorite within the MCU franchise like the first Cap movie was (one of the lowest grossers despite decent reviews and one of the vital canon-entries.) In retrospect perhaps its good that the pandemic happened and this came out in '21 because with that crowded release frame with Hawkeye and NWH (especially NWH) coming right afterwards the fans didn't have much time to focus on Eternals so the negativity wouldn't fester and poison the discourse well like TLJ did within the SW fan community (which arguably they still haven't recovered from.) With NWH being considered a homerun by the fandom, Eternals can chill as that weirdo arty project your favorite artist/band did i.e. Paul McCartney's Firemen records, Prince's The Rainbow Children, etc. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, RRA said:

so the negativity wouldn't fester and poison the discourse well like TLJ did within the SW fan community (which arguably they still haven't recovered from.) With NWH being considered a homerun by the fandom, Eternals can chill as that weirdo arty project your favorite artist/band did i.e. Paul McCartney's Firemen records, Prince's The Rainbow Children, etc. 

Movie is too forgettable for any negativity to fester lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RRA said:

Great imagery though. Probably destined to be a cult favorite within the MCU franchise like the first Cap movie was (one of the lowest grossers despite decent reviews and one of the vital canon-entries.) I

The success of Winter Soldier helped alot of people reevaluate the first Cap so here is hoping an Eternals sequel can do the same 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 7

Finally saw it, bottom tier marvel for me (almost right at the bottom I’d say), and my wife and kids didn’t like it much either. No need to go into details as I don’t want to start arguing about opinions. I’m glad others liked this a lot more. 

I liked the post credit scenes.