ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

7 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Saw it, liked it a lot.

The marketing did it absolutely dirty because it's nothing like the trailers advertised it. It's not really an arthouse superhero movie either like so many claim.

It’s not, but it does sort of try to flirt with being one, at least compared to the typical MCU movie. In a way, maybe you can compare it to Ang Lee’s Hulk in that regard. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s not, but it does sort of try to flirt with being one, at least compared to the typical MCU movie. In a way, maybe you can compare it to Ang Lee’s Hulk in that regard. 

Man, Ang Lee's Hulk got away with murder back in the day. It was coming off the success of Spider-man, and everyone was expecting a big budget version of the TV series (the movie itself musically even references themes from the TV series).

Then they got whatever the hell it was trying to be. I was in middle school back then and at that point loved just about everything I saw in the theater, but that was the first movie that made me go "wait, huh."

It's even funnier when the tone of the film's end credits, with a blaring rock song that I guarantee you was't Ang's idea and cartoony comic panels doesn't match the tone of the movie.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, RRA said:

This did play better 2nd time around, in fact I'm willing to bump up my rating to 6/10. Some of the same problems remain, but its bursting at the seams with interesting thematic ideas (whether they're all dramatically compelling is whole other issue.) Some roll their eyes at the Marvel trademarks with the quips/banter but they help here at times when you're perhaps not completely sold on the proceedings. Its watchable. That's the weird thing for me. I remember when I gave second chances to notably polarizing spandex films like MOS and Ang Lee's Hulk and they didn't move up from my indifference so that's something I guess.

Great imagery though. Probably destined to be a cult favorite within the MCU franchise like the first Cap movie was (one of the lowest grossers despite decent reviews and one of the vital canon-entries.) In retrospect perhaps its good that the pandemic happened and this came out in '21 because with that crowded release frame with Hawkeye and NWH (especially NWH) coming right afterwards the fans didn't have much time to focus on Eternals so the negativity wouldn't fester and poison the discourse well like TLJ did within the SW fan community (which arguably they still haven't recovered from.) With NWH being considered a homerun by the fandom, Eternals can chill as that weirdo arty project your favorite artist/band did i.e. Paul McCartney's Firemen records, Prince's The Rainbow Children, etc. 

I would go 7 out of 10; a lot of good ideas but they is just did not jell into a solid plot.

18 minutes ago, Eric Riley said:

Why has Samba TV become the de-facto source of truth for streaming metrics on here and on Twitter? To my knowledge there has been no Nielsen-esque stamp of approval for any of the streaming services, and some of the numbers they get are very odd and do not match up at all with sources like Nielsen or Netflix (like their Witcher numbers or the fact that they claim more households watched Mortal Kombat in its first weekend on a significantly smaller streaming service than watched Don't Look Up which is gonna end up as Netflix's biggest film ever).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobdysm said:

Why has Samba TV become the de-facto source of truth for streaming metrics on here and on Twitter? To my knowledge there has been no Nielsen-esque stamp of approval for any of the streaming services, and some of the numbers they get are very odd and do not match up at all with sources like Nielsen or Netflix (like their Witcher numbers or the fact that they claim more households watched Mortal Kombat in its first weekend on a significantly smaller streaming service than watched Don't Look Up which is gonna end up as Netflix's biggest film ever).

They have not become "de-facto" they are just another metric, they don't track every single device, just smart Tvs, even James Gunn accepts they are more or less credible.

No one uses Samba as the only gospel

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 5:19 PM, Daxtreme said:

The Makkari and Sprite one is really good and should have been left in IMO

The rest is mostly fun bonus material

I'm guessing whoever uploaded those scenes added music to it because that Makkari/Sprite scene just reuses Witcher 3 music lol

5 hours ago, Fox20 said:

They have not become "de-facto" they are just another metric, they don't track every single device, just smart Tvs, even James Gunn accepts they are more or less credible.

No one uses Samba as the only gospel

"De-facto" might be a strong choice of words, but it the streaming metric source that gets posted here the most and for the past couple of months I've rarely seen any hedging in terms of its accuracy when it does get posted. Netflix's top 10 lists don't even get published here every week. And headlines like this one from Business Insider and threads from this guy that get thousands of likes on twitter are certainly implying that SambaTV is the accurate measure of viewership on HBO Max when, like I said earlier, there's no real reason to believe they are representative of streaming viewership at all.

And in regards to James Gunn, I would tweet about Samba numbers too if they made my movie look successful. But from his tweets he didn't mention that the number was accurate or even in the right ballpark (I'm also not sure if he even knows the number himself tbh). He just said that his movie was the biggest DC project on Max. I wouldn't say that shows the Samba numbers are "credible".

And if the fact that they don't capture mobile, tablet, and computer viewing is an argument is meant to justify Samba's obvious inaccuracies, maybe they shouldn't b releasing any data? If I captured 70% of a sample's datapoints but that other 30% was crucial in understanding the full impact of what I was measuring I know I wouldn't just release anything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’d have expected it to beat Shang Chi considering less people went to see it cinemas. And this is 5 days instead of 3 so it’s hard to compare. 

"Less people went to see it in cinemas"

They did almost the same.

13 hours ago, bobdysm said:

"De-facto" might be a strong choice of words, but it the streaming metric source that gets posted here the most and for the past couple of months I've rarely seen any hedging in terms of its accuracy when it does get posted. Netflix's top 10 lists don't even get published here every week. And headlines like this one from Business Insider and threads from this guy that get thousands of likes on twitter are certainly implying that SambaTV is the accurate measure of viewership on HBO Max when, like I said earlier, there's no real reason to believe they are representative of streaming viewership at all.

And in regards to James Gunn, I would tweet about Samba numbers too if they made my movie look successful. But from his tweets he didn't mention that the number was accurate or even in the right ballpark (I'm also not sure if he even knows the number himself tbh). He just said that his movie was the biggest DC project on Max. I wouldn't say that shows the Samba numbers are "credible".

And if the fact that they don't capture mobile, tablet, and computer viewing is an argument is meant to justify Samba's obvious inaccuracies, maybe they shouldn't b releasing any data? If I captured 70% of a sample's datapoints but that other 30% was crucial in understanding the full impact of what I was measuring I know I wouldn't just release anything.

Because there are another threads where we post Nielsen numbers

James Gunn did not say Samba was the only metric, he said it's a third party option to see HOW they are doing more or less, he talks as well how streaming services keep their numbers very close to themselves and how it's hard to tell.

Let alone all the metrics are flawed when most streaming service like Netflix count a couple of minutes as a view.

Again NO ONE is saying Samba is the one measure, if you have other numbers the post yourself the other numbers, it gives the context of the performance, not the full view, you literally said all that to end saying the same I already pointed out.

Edited by Fox20