ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

Just now, Ithil said:

Doctor Strange numbers for a property this obscure would be an incredible success. Eternals are pretty niche even to regular comic readers, never mind GA.

Yeah but I figure there’s probably a way to package this in an appealing/fun way that’s kinda marvel’s whole thing. Though I know it’s also a risk to assume people are just gonna line up for something just because a certain franchise name is stamped on it.

37 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The X-Factor will be if there is any Thanos connection, even if small. If this thing is marketed as an entirely new section of the MCU, but with very relevant ties to what the audience already knows, the potential is much bigger. Thanos is practically the Darth Vader of this generation. I find it hard to believe this won't connect to him, given it centres around the Eternals and the Deviants, of which Thanos is half and half.

Depends on when it's set. Feige made mention of them being on Earth for 35000 years. Is this post-Endgame or set thousands of years in the past? Personally, I don't think this will need a Thanos connection (though I'm sure one will be mentioned at some point). I also believe if they truly go all in on the epic scale of this film, we're looking at a blockbuster.

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

No idea what the deal is with this but i guess predicting doctor strange numbers is a decent bet until we see some marketing.

Can't see it being this low. The MCU in 2020 is a whole different animal than the MCU in 2016. You've got a diverse cast that will hit a lot of demographics and an epic scale (literal space gods). I can see Captain Marvel numbers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

Depends on when it's set. Feige made mention of them being on Earth for 35000 years. Is this post-Endgame or set thousands of years in the past? Personally, I don't think this will need a Thanos connection (though I'm sure one will be mentioned at some point). I also believe if they truly go all in on the epic scale of this film, we're looking at a blockbuster.

Can't see it being this low. The MCU in 2020 is a whole different animal than the MCU in 2016. You've got a diverse cast that will hit a lot of demographics and an epic scale (literal space gods). I can see Captain Marvel numbers. 

That's kind of what I mean. I'm not saying he should be in the movie (actually that would feel a bit forced, and too soon) but some kind of a mention. The GA probably doesn't even realize what Thanos is, that he's an Eternal with the Deviant gene. If they at least knew that then maybe there doesn't even need to be a direct connection. They'd already be sold.

It does lead me to a question I've been asking for awhile now: how old is Thanos? Assuming he doesn't age like humans on Earth, is he ancient in our terms, or did his backstory with his own war against Titan happen fairly recently?

DS1 will be about 250 adjusted when this comes out, that wouldn’t be too surprising. Could also see DS1 numbers in developed markets. But there’s no going back to 2016 numbers in developing markets after the IW+EG combo imo.

Edited by Thanos Legion

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It does lead me to a question I've been asking for awhile now: how old is Thanos? Assuming he doesn't age like humans on Earth, is he ancient in our terms, or did his backstory with his own war against Titan happen fairly recently?

That's a good question. It was mentioned at the panel that the Eternals are "immortal". Since we currently know nothing about them in the MCU, I guess it's open to whatever the story needs. I definitely feel like he's at least a few centuries old but he could easily be several millennia. 

Edited by VenomXXR

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

That's a good question. It was mentioned at the panel that the Eternals are "immortal". Since we currently know nothing about them in the MCU, I guess it's open to whatever the story needs. I definitely feel like he's at least a few centuries old but he could easily be several millennia. 

Personally, I'd be content with a connection to Thanos' parents. Mentor is a pretty big deal as far as Eternals go. He's a first generation Eternal who settled on and became leader of Titan.

All this goes out the window, though, if Marvel Studios is mixing it up and deviating from the source material a bit.

Marvel can certainly make it standalone now and have a big connection to Thanos by the end of the trilogy (like having him as a supporting character on the sequel and main villain in the third). I'd also guess that if this one's a big hit they'll try to fast-track the 2 sequels since they are inmortal beings and aging it's a big factor (especially since some of the cast are already +40) 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Yeah but I figure there’s probably a way to package this in an appealing/fun way that’s kinda marvel’s whole thing. Though I know it’s also a risk to assume people are just gonna line up for something just because a certain franchise name is stamped on it.

Oh I have confidence they'll present it in a way that appeals to the GA, I know by now not to doubt Feige and his crew. My point was more that they're going at this with zero name recognition whatsoever, not even like a Doctor Strange or Captain Marvel that comic fans would know well. It's effectively a blank slate. If they pull this off there's officially no limits to the properties from the Marvel catalogue they can adapt for the MCU.

Edited by Ithil

2 minutes ago, Ithil said:

If they pull this off there's officially no limits to the properties from the Marvel catalogue they can adapt for the MCU.

I feel like that's been the case since Guardians of the Galaxy, which had absolutely zero brand recognition amongst the GA and a decidedly low recognition amongst comic fans. If done correctly (scale and story), I think Eternals could be the Phase 4 equivalent of GOTG in terms of its break out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

I feel like that's been the case since Guardians of the Galaxy, which had absolutely zero brand recognition amongst the GA and a decidedly low recognition amongst comic fans. If done correctly (scale and story), I think Eternals could be the Phase 4 equivalent of GOTG in terms of its break out.

Correct, though GOTG at least was a cult favourite among comic fans thanks to its popular 2008 revival run (which appeared in MvC3, the 2010 Avengers cartoon, etc). This and Shang Chi are by far the most obscure Marvel properties to ever be adapted, it's a testament to their confidence.

If by 2023 or 2024 I see Eternals having their own cartoon or headlining a video game, my head will still spin.

Edited by Ithil
  • Like 1

Apprently, I saw a picture and we see the Eternals in

Spoiler

Endgame, a glimpse, there are in one of the portals.

Can anybody confirm ?

Also, how obscure this property is, more obscure than Guardians before the movies or on par ?

Just now, The Futurist said:

Apprently, I saw a picture and we see the Eternals in

Reveal hidden contents

Can anybody confirm ?

Also, how obscure this property is, more obscure than Guardians before the movies or on par ?

More obscure than Guardians, either version of Guardians.

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's literally comparing two properties in the F-List. At least Eternals had a Neil Gaiman re imagining. GotG weren't touched by anyone until 2008.   

GOTG has better cast of characters. They are wacky and use of 80s music and references makes it stand out. Eternals are just humans, basically Marvel's Percy Jackson

Edited by Valonqar

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

GOTG has better cast of characters. They are wacky and use of 80s music and references makes it stand out. Eternals are just humans, basically Marvel's Percy Jackson

eternals are superpower beings, thats not just humans

Edited by john2000

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

eternals are superpower beings, thats not just humans

I mean in appearance. No Rocket and Groot. No fun looking humanoid aliens such as Drax, Gamora, Nebula, Mantis, Yondu.

They are closer to Gods from Asgard and we already have that.

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I mean in appearance. No Rocket and Groot. No fun looking humanoid aliens such as Drax, Gamora, Nebula, Mantis, Yondu.

They are closer to Gods from Asgard and we already have that.

yeah and ? the concept art for the movie looks fantastic