ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

GOTG has better cast of characters. They are wacky and use of 80s music and references makes it stand out.

That last part was entirely invented by James Gunn. The thing you consider to make them stand out was introduced in the movie.

For a fair comparison, you have to compare Eternals with GOTG’s standing pre-movie. I get your Percy Jackson comparison, I get that they’re not aliens, but as far as pre-movie awareness they are on relatively equal footing.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

proof what a great get Gunn was for Marvel. genius invention simple, catchy, iconic. 

Yes 3000. So glad Disney admitted they made a mistake and hired him back.

I am willing to wait as long as it takes for Gunn to deliver GOTG3.

Pivoting back to Eternals, my point is that the current appeal of the various characters Marvel has adapted is often (nay, mostly) down to things introduced in the movies themselves. It can be the actor/actress/portrayal of the character. It can be the filmmaker’s idiosyncrasies and what they bring to the movie. It’s never just the source material in and of itself. That’s one of the things Feige and his creative team understand, and that’s why I would trust Marvel Studios to successfully turn lead into gold at this point. They’re on the level of pre-2011 Pixar (fingers crossed there’s not a Cars 2 moment in their future any time soon).

Edited by TServo2049

Sersi will be the first new recruit to the Avengers since she was an Avenger in the comics.

Too bad they can't do the bit where she gets the hots for Captain America.....

Also betting they will have some kind of Sersi vs Cersai joke early on...easiet way to deal with the possible confusion.

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sersi will be the first new recruit to the Avengers since she was an Avenger in the comics.

Too bad they can't do the bit where she gets the hots for Captain America.....

Also betting they will have some kind of Sersi vs Cersai joke early on...easiet way to deal with the possible confusion.

What if they get Lena Heady to play Sersi 

The more I think about it the more this film is going to have an upward climb.

All the previous 'new' in terms of general audience superheroes had an easy elevator pitch in terms of explaining concept:

- Bunch of Ragtag space pirates

- Prince of Hidden African country with fancy tech

- Female superman with flame hands

Even "Best martial artist in the world" is pretty easy to go with too. But the Eternals may need a sentence or two too much explaining. Maybe. But the Marvel brand is just so strong.

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

All the previous 'new' in terms of general audience superheroes had an easy elevator pitch in terms of explaining concept:

Even "Best martial artist in the world" is pretty easy to go with too. But the Eternals may need a sentence or two too much explaining. Maybe. But the Marvel brand is just so strong.

One word: Thanos. Or Titan.

55 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I'm sure they've been considering this since early on. It's not as though the GOTG went straight from the comic page to the screen, the 70s/80s soundtrack and "rockin' space romp" tone came from Gunn's development. I don't doubt they have a hook in mind.

• Like 1

that police line up teaser for guardians introducing the characters was really smart. maybe there's something like that can be done for this idk. guardians was very much sold on its irreverent vibe and i'm sure this won't have that. i'm sure it'll be funny, every marvel movie is at least a little funny, but they're not all sold as comedies like guardians was. 

even before we saw anything with guardians it was easy to know what the vibe of the project would be based on Gunn's previous films. but there's no way this has a similar vibe to Zhao's previous films so idk what the vibe is besides "epic" i guess? just in wait and see mode.

Edited by CoolioD1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

that police line up teaser for guardians introducing the characters was really smart. maybe there's something like that can be done for this idk. guardians was very much sold on its irreverent vibe and i'm sure this won't have that. i'm sure it'll be funny, every marvel movie is at least a little funny, but they're not all sold as comedies like guardians was. 

even before we saw anything with guardians it was easy to know what the vibe of the project would be based on Gunn's previous films. but there's no way this has a similar vibe to Zhao's previous films so idk what the vibe is besides "epic" i guess? just in wait and see mode.

I don't know if we can compare the two. At least I hope the Eternals aren't goofy like the Guardians. I hope Marvel takes the Eternals much more seriously than that. 

i'm sure they're not so goofy. i couldn't imagine most of this cast playing goofy. kumail's always at least a little goofy, even in that twilight zone he was in. probably the comic relief eternal.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm sure they're not so goofy. i couldn't imagine angelina jolie or richard madden playing goofy. kumail's always at least a little goofy, even in that twilight zone he was in. probably the comic relief eternal.

That makes sense. The Eternals are the celestials' chosen immortal protectors of Earth. They're a big deal. I think Marvel can sell the movie by showcasing this component of the universe: the the Godly higher powers of the MCU. Thor and the Asgardians we know were considered Gods by humans but really aren't, they're just any other otherworldly beings.

Edited by JB33

IMHO Feige has made it very clear  Endgame was the end of the Thanos cycle, Thanos might be mentioned like Stark was mentioned in Spidey"Far From Home but don't expect him to make an appreanance.

I think Feige want to look forward, not back.

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Anyone here familiar with the Eternals comics?

The original Kirby run.not that familiar since. It is one of Marvel's more obscure comics.

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

That makes sense. The Eternals are the celestials' chosen immortal protectors of Earth. They're a big deal. I think Marvel can sell the movie by showcasing this component of the universe: the the Godly higher powers of the MCU. Thor and the Asgardians we know were considered Gods by humans but really aren't, they're just any other otherworldly beings.

ANy resembelence between the Eternals and DC's the New Gods is purely intentional. Jack Kirby was trying to do a Marvel Universe equivalent of The New Gods after his break with DC and his return to Marvel  ,..and was not very subtle about it either.

Edited by dudalb