ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

that sample reel is probably about the one they show in Brazil CCXP.(2019 December)

He surprised the crowd with raw footage ... The footage is certainly different from any other MCU movie we have seen before. Jack Kirby fans will be pleased.

- deadline -

Feige described the presentation as "raw footage" pulled straight from the camera.

Overall, Zhao's camerawork looks absolutely stunning, rich with color and depth, and the costumes are a visual feast in their own right. As someone who's very new to the mythology of The Eternals, this footage instantly caught my eye and got me immediately excited for the project, which looks visually more distinct than most MCU entries.

After the footage, Feige teased that Eternals is going to be "unlike anything you've ever seen before" and "What’s going to happen to redefine and change the MCU in Phase Four."

- Collider -

+

Chloe said months ago, action sequences were inspired by The Revanant's Action scenes which used real location + team fight + natural lights + wide lens + long take. 

"I had to assign a few because of the scale of the film. But I think for the action sequences, which I just had such a great time working on with such a great team, I wanted to reference The Revenant a lot," 
"And I think we've watched The Revenant so many times, every meeting when we come to our action sequences because most of those sequences are shot on location. And I love how immersive and the way how you feel the dash and sequences in The Revenant. It's definitely a film that we aspire to. And Marvel really, really supported that idea and really went for it."

On 12/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, ThomasNicole said:

This movie is absolutely impressive, i have the chance to see the trailer at CCXP and indeed is very different from the MCU.

The tone is very epic and serious, felt like LOTR in a way. The cinematography is mesmerizing, clearly it’s not the digital shit MCU is using for years, almost seems like a Nolan movie in some acenes. Also the use of real sets make difference, everything felt real in the footage.

I’m very excited to see the whole thing, it’s really great to see they’re actually trying something new and risky, especially with a director like Chloe Zhao, one of the best MCU ever have.

Edited by imbruglia
  • Like 2

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if a movie shoots in real locations, uses practical sets, or shoots on a greenscreen. There have been many great (and great-looking) movies that have each used these techniques, both together and separately. 

The only thing that ultimately matters is directorial/producorial intent and skill, there's no "magic bullet" technical explanation about how a film is made that explains it other than that. Flat and dull movies come from flat and dull people. 

Hell, the two MCU movies that get the most consistent phrase for their cinematography (Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2) were shot primarily in front of green screens. But crucially, they were shot by people who were attempting an interesting visual style.

It's the same reason why so many of the MCU's film scores are so bland. It's not because they use "temp music" or whatever (95% of movie scores, both good and bad, do it too) it's because it was either made by people who didn't care and or people who wanted it that way.  

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I didn't understand almost nothing from this leak

It's written in a so confusing and generic way, but yeah some things seems accurate based on the new scenes.

did you see this village scene at the ccxp? also that camera man?

이미지

Also was this the one you saw at ccxp too?
이미지

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

did you see this village scene at the ccxp? also that camera man?

이미지

Also was this the one you saw at ccxp too?
이미지

Yes, the village scene was at CCXP, a little longer.

I also saw one scene at the beach but with less people in the shot and other angle, so i can't really tell if it's the same scene, but looks like.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I didn't understand almost nothing from this leak

It's written in a so confusing and generic way, but yeah some things seems accurate based on the new scenes.

I understood it but I agree that it's written in a generic way like all leaks. They all feel super dry and expository. That said, Thena and Ikaris come off as the most interesting to me based on what they do in the leak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1