ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

I did not care for this until I read the leak and thought the movie sounded really good. I really like the themes of the movie. But now that the teaser confirmed the leak, I'm very excited. 

I know that reddit hated the leak but they hated Infinity War and Endgame leaks too and I said right away that Infinity was going to be great because it was easy to follow all those characters in different locations. Likewise, Endgame. So as someone whose hobby is studying leaks, if a movie themes manage to shine through a dry leak than the movie is going to be good. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I know that reddit hated the leak but they hated Infinity War and Endgame leaks too and I said right away that Infinity was going to be great because it was easy to follow all those characters in different locations. Likewise, Endgame. So as someone whose hobby is studying leaks, if a movie themes manage to shine through a dry leak than the movie is going to be good. 

I wonder if the people who hated the IW/EG leaks ended up liking the movies. To each their own but it seems bizarre to me to read some person's retelling of a movie the way that people do with these leaks, particularly since reading it like that really isn't going to capture the story itself. I also heard about people bitching about Endgame leaks and then obviously it went on to be loved by critics and audiences, so it's like, why do that to yourself lol.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I wonder if the people who hated the IW/EG leaks ended up liking the movies. To each their own but it seems bizarre to me to read some person's retelling of a movie the way that people do with these leaks, particularly since reading it like that really isn't going to capture the story itself. I also heard about people bitching about Endgame leaks and then obviously it went on to be loved by critics and audiences, so it's like, why do that to yourself lol.

I didn't like the leaks but I still really enjoyed IW...didn't care for EG however.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gamora said:

It's not bizarre at all. I like them. They help me understand the story and who is who before I see the movie. They alert me if there's animal cruelty and that sort of thing than I won't watch or will know when to fast-forward (Red Dot for example, the spoiler was massively helpful in that regard). I find it useful. I also don't take them as gospel cause they have a very specific function which is show how the movie goes from A to B and what twists are if any, they are not meant to bring movie magic. The best leaks are the ones that only stick to the text of the movie and don't post their (false) impressions as text. I'll never forget the first TFA leak where the leaker claimed that movie ended with a reveal that Rey was Luke's daughter. So people were, like, do they actually say it in the movie, and he's like no but it's so obvious. That was a shitty leak cause it did what leaks are not supposed to do - speculate. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chicago said:

I'm just hoping this is as entertaining as GOTG was but that's asking alot

Not really. It's Marvel. Their movies are entertaining. Zhao isn't making Nomadland in spandex. Half of Eternals cast are actors with good comic timing or mostly comedy role experience. So there's going to be humor and levity, it won't be a humorless dour movie. 

9 hours ago, Valonqar said:

It's not bizarre at all. I like them. They help me understand the story and who is who before I see the movie. They alert me if there's animal cruelty and that sort of thing than I won't watch or will know when to fast-forward (Red Dot for example, the spoiler was massively helpful in that regard). I find it useful. I also don't take them as gospel cause they have a very specific function which is show how the movie goes from A to B and what twists are if any, they are not meant to bring movie magic. The best leaks are the ones that only stick to the text of the movie and don't post their (false) impressions as text. I'll never forget the first TFA leak where the leaker claimed that movie ended with a reveal that Rey was Luke's daughter. So people were, like, do they actually say it in the movie, and he's like no but it's so obvious. That was a shitty leak cause it did what leaks are not supposed to do - speculate. 

Yeah I know some people like to be warned about things but you don't need to know the entire plot to find out if one thing happens. But again, I'm mostly talking about the people who go nutty over things before the film even comes out and make wild assumptions about how it's going to be shitty before even seeing it. I just saw a lot of people lose their minds over things in Endgame and I can't help but wonder if their bad impressions were generated mostly from reading leaks and they went in with false understandings that swayed their opinions, and if they would've been better off just watching it as it happened. 

13 hours ago, Gamora said:

Yeah I know some people like to be warned about things but you don't need to know the entire plot to find out if one thing happens. But again, I'm mostly talking about the people who go nutty over things before the film even comes out and make wild assumptions about how it's going to be shitty before even seeing it. I just saw a lot of people lose their minds over things in Endgame and I can't help but wonder if their bad impressions were generated mostly from reading leaks and they went in with false understandings that swayed their opinions, and if they would've been better off just watching it as it happened. 

I think that the problem is that those people don't know how to read leaks.  They aren't a movie and they aren't even actual recaps. They are literally this happens and that happens. No performances, no dynamic between characters, no jokes, etc. None of things that make movies why we love them. So they think dry leak = dry movie. But it's not. It just tells you what happens including that it may warn you about unpleasant stuff (who dies, for example). 

A movie is likely bad if the story described in the leak doesn't flow well. You could easily see that TROS was going to be a dumpster fire, so I didn't bother to pay for it, but that absolutely isn't the case with Eternals nor it was with IW and Endgame. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Their powers are very derivative (speed, laser eyes etc). 

So? Powers shmowers. It's who uses them and how not the power itself. I'll take tried and true powers over try-hard attempts to be different (I'm looking at you grass-growing crap from Logan!)  any day. 

Kal-El,Tony Stark, WASP even Ant Man on Anthony/other ant, etc fly but they are very different characters and have a different way of using the flight.