ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

It doesn't make sense for an immortal to be portayed by anyone older than peak human 23-30.

If you don't think Angelina Jolie can qualify as peak human, you need your brain examined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

the thing is.. this is team movie. 

here is character they're looking for. 12 characters.

Karen
Hercules
Druig
Piper
Elysisus
Forgotten One
Ikaris
Makkari
Sersi
Starfox
Thena
Zuras

and from twitter's casting sheet leak.

Charles Murphy @CharlesMurphTHS

From what I've seen, 'THE ETERNALS' is going to be an ensemble. It has quite a few "leads", so I don't know that we can think of Jolie as "the lead." Maybe we can, but I think there are about 5-6 "lead" female roles in that film, including one I never revealed.
+

The way breakdowns TYPICALLY work is that the characters are listed in order of importance.
For 'THE ETERNALS', the order goes:
Piper
Untitled Diverse Female *Karen
Male Lead "James" (the gay character) *Hercules

Jolie is none of those characters.

Edited by imbruglia

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Now I wont accept anyone else for this role.

That would be an "Ouch" moment for the DCEU if Feige actually snatched Cavill for their Eternals film.

And imagine Grace Randolph's reaction!!! LOL

It will at least guarantee that Cavill will finally play a superhero in a decent film.

5 hours ago, AndyK said:

Really?

2342.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=forma

Ah....how cute...

I am sure that one can find horribly unflattering, wrinkle-enhancing pictures of any actress of any age (Gal Gadot, Brie Larson, Elle Fanning, et al) to prove some sexist out-of-touch non-point about who can play a fictional character...,I bet you had no issue with any MCU guy in his forties and fifties playing superheroes.

Next.

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Huh?

The only big star on that list is RDJ.

As RDJ got cast, he was not even a star (anymore). Now a star again, o.K.

But a big star?

Outside of MCU, and his Sherlock Holmes movies he did not a lot the last some years (The Judge, and Chef, both not showing big star BO in my POV)

The only not named new material since 2010 will be the upcoming The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle (annimated)

Appearances might have similarities to Sherlock Holmes, might help a bit, but both (Sherlock and Dolittle) are helped by familarity of story, where a star is good to have, but not a big star is needed as a minimum (wrong wording, not sure about some terms)

Edited by terrestrial

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Ah....how cute...

I am sure that one can find horribly unflattering, wrinkle-enhancing pictures of any actress of any age (Gal Gadot, Brie Larson, Elle Fanning, et al) to prove some sexist out-of-touch non-point about who can play a fictional character...,I bet you had no issue with any MCU guy in his forties and fifties playing superheroes.

Next.

It's not about playing superheroes it's about playing an immortal. People at the peak of their physical form.

I understand they picked her because they need a name, but this was an ideal opportunity to give young actors work and with the added plus that they would be able to use the same actors for many sequels to come.

47 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

As RDJ got cast, he was not even a star (anymore). Now a star again, o.K.

But a big star?

Outside of MCU, and his Sherlock Holmes movies he did not a lot the last some years (The Judge, and Chef, both not showing big star BO in my POV)

The only not named new material since 2010 will be the upcoming The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle (annimated)

Appearances might have similarities to Sherlock Holmes, might help a bit, but both (Sherlock and Dolittle) are helped by familarity of story, where a star is good to have, but not a big star is needed as a minimum (wrong wording, not sure about some terms)

RDJ was a bit of a tarnished star on his way back up (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, A Scanner Darkly, Good Night & Good Luck, Zodiac etc) when he became IM.  The MCU made RDJ a huge star and he helped make the MCU a phenomenon.  The Sherlock films cemented that (It wasn't the well worked IP that hadn't seen big money in a long long time or Guy Ritchie) even if for some reason some believe his IM and Avengers starring roles didn't.   Tropic of Thunder helped too.

He had a cameo in Chef that he did to help out his friend Favreau.  Hardly an indicator about his B.O. pull   The Judge did fine (Dom & WW) for an R rated family film about dementia, a prodigal son and courtroom drama that didn't get awards or critical boost.   It just cost way too much.  It did better than say the Meryl Streep/Julia Roberts/Cumberbatch etc Osange County heavily pushed by Weisnten for Oscars the year before.

He purposely works less b/c he has a young family and with the MCU he's already doing huge time consuming films.  He's spoken about Richard Attenborough giving him advice that when he's old he's never going to regret that film he didn't do but will regret not being there for his children and family.  It's not b/c he isn't in demand.  The Sony e-mail leaks showed they were trying to get him for at least a  half dozen high profile projects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:01 PM, Barnack said:

Looking at how much she was making on movies like SALT or The Tourist (look like 40-50m type of payday), I am not sure Marvel paycheck will feel fat.

All we heard from those, these CBM are far from specially well paying studio movie wise. The fact that there an impression it could open the door to do whatever other future projects has a lot of value, one that Marvel can use to reduce their payment they are require to give to find someone willing to take the job.

Yeah those payments aren't happening in the MCU.   Word was she made even more for Maleficent with the back end and M2 probably had similar terms - but she's essential to that series in a way she isn't to the MCU.

It's surprising how little she's worked on screen in the past 10 years but then she's directed and has 187 children

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=angelinajolie.htm

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not b/c he isn't in demand.  The Sony e-mail leaks showed they were trying to get him for at least a  half dozen high profile projects.

That I did not doubt at all. I add him mentally always to why certain MCU cast members will have less time and energy for additional work, see press tours... = he has children he actually wants to be with (not negatively meant, see Armitage hint, there are some actors that seem to be more focused on their work I applaud him for not following that POV)

Maybe its a different POV because I live not in the same country, as such we get less to see the news, reactions,... about foreign to us actors/actresses, or far less. I do not read yellow press maybe there its a difference?

Or its the definition like: what/who is a 'big' star.

In my impression he is a star, but not a big star like in comparison Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon,... or like George Clooney, Brad Pitt where probably a few years back (I think those too lost some 'big', not sure, haven't seen anything with them in lately, might have missed whatever). I think Harrison Ford is still a big star, for the older ones at least.

12 hours ago, AndyK said:

It's not about playing superheroes it's about playing an immortal. People at the peak of their physical form.

An immortal is someone who cannot die.  It's quite simple.

The whole "peak physical form" is all you making up stuff.

But sure, keep hiding your double standards and low-key sexism behind your made up definition of "immortal."

Next.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 2:33 PM, TalismanRing said:

Yeah those payments aren't happening in the MCU.   Word was she made even more for Maleficent with the back end and M2 probably had similar terms - but she's essential to that series in a way she isn't to the MCU.

It's surprising how little she's worked on screen in the past 10 years but then she's directed and has 187 children

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=angelinajolie.htm

I read she doesn't really like acting, that she only acted because of her parents or something, and that after her mother died (?) she didn't have strong incentives to keep acting regularly anymore. She's very interested in directing apparently.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

I'm really happy that they got Angelina for this. It's quite obvious what they're doing with this cast, Angelina is super popular OS, aligned with the biggest OS brand and it will definitely raise the interest (a lot) in this property, they're trying to overcome the (eventual) backlash using her popularity as shield. Genial. I'm not a MCU fan but I'm gonna root hard for this. 

• Like 1