ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

All this Eternals/Oscar talk and I had this thought: if Disney had cash to burn and ambition to spare, they would throw the dice and actually mount a serious awards campaign.

for Tony Leung.

A supporting actor nod would fit that tradition once upon a time of popular movies with well-reviewed character actor roles that captured people’s imagination. Alec Guinness (SW), Pat Morita (The Karate Kid), Jack Palance (City Slickers*), Sean Connery (Untouchables*), Dean Stockwell (Married to the Mob), Tommy Lee Jones* (The Fugitive),  John Malkovich** (In the Line of Fire), etc. And yes of course, Heath Ledger* (TDK)

Leung has never been Oscar nominated (tough for foreign film actors to break through.) That would bring some sort of nice career appreciation notice for him. 

*=Winner 

**=Malkovich actually lost to TLJ

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JWR said:

The "brief sexuality" thing is interesting, though this being Disney, that likely amounts to onscreen kissing.

CW MPAA rating was "Rated PG-13 for extended sequences of violence, action and mayhem" since Cap/Sharon kiss was the opposite of sexy. 

maxresdefault.jpg

says it all. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Don't think Titanic would sweep awards as well, as it did back in the day. It will still make $2B as it did though.

Titanic is an Oscar bait movie through and through though. It's arguably the most iconic movie of all time. It nailed everything from direction to story, costume, special effects, score, originals song. Titanic would have definitely sweeped the awards in most given years because it's an absolute masterpiece like no other.  Now wash your mouth out with soap

• Knock It Off 5

Wonder what % of November this can pull. DS1 and Ragnarok won their Novs, but by relatively paltry margins (22% and 28%).  

Though actually, it looks like the typical November schedule with Thanksgiving leads to a very evenly spread out month — the largest % of November was claimed by F2 with just 28.1%! Eternals should beat that with ease given what the month looks like.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 7:13 AM, JWR said:

The "brief sexuality" thing is interesting, though this being Disney, that likely amounts to onscreen kissing.

Do people think Disney is the one that makes these ratings. Guardians 2 literally has a scene set in a brothel

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 4

I wouldn't be surprised with a Best Picture nomination, Black Panther got one despite that objectively awful CGI fight scene in the third act that should have automatically left it out of the competition. Critics love Marvel and everyone is rooting for Chloe Zhao, so if this really is one of their best movies and it's visually great, it will be nominated. I personally just hope Eternals is something different from the other MCU movies because I'm tired of the same thing over and over, and I want to see someone else's vision other than Kevin Feige.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I wouldn't be surprised with a Best Picture nomination, Black Panther got one despite that objectively awful CGI fight scene in the third act that should have automatically left it out of the competition. Critics love Marvel and everyone is rooting for Chloe Zhao, so if this really is one of their best movies and it's visually great, it will be nominated. I personally just hope Eternals is something different from the other MCU movies because I'm tired of the same thing over and over, and I want to see someone else's vision other than Kevin Feige.

This is not how the Oscars work lmao. 

• Like 4

On 9/22/2021 at 2:20 PM, Chicago said:

Titanic is an Oscar bait movie through and through though. It's arguably the most iconic movie of all time. It nailed everything from direction to story, costume, special effects, score, originals song. Titanic would have definitely sweeped the awards in most given years because it's an absolute masterpiece like no other.  Now wash your mouth out with soap

People don't like the truth. Deal with it 😂

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Black Panther was nominated because people of colour had been complaining every year about the lack of recognition. It was just easier to nominate Black Panther without ever having the intention of giving it the win or they would have had to deal with all that backlash again. It was a stragic nomination, Ironically even after nominating Black Panther and Blackkklansman whilst giving Green Book the win, people still had issues (See Spike Lee's rant).

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Chicago said:

Black Panther was nominated because people of colour had been complaining every year about the lack of recognition. It was just easier to nominate Black Panther without ever having the intention of giving it the win or they would have had to deal with all that backlash again. It was a stragic nomination, Ironically even after nominating Black Panther and Blackkklansman whilst giving Green Book the win, people still had issues (See Spike Lee's rant).

I really hope you did not just hold up Green Book as a "black movie".

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ithil said:

I really hope you did not just hold up Green Book as a "black movie".

I didn't refer to any of them as strictly 'black movies' but they they definitely share similar overtones. Green book just did it better and was more relevant to the current times, IMO of course 

Moderation

If Cap has told you once, she's already told you a hundred times. This Oscars debate has gone on long enough. You're not gonna change each other's minds, you're going into circles, and there's nothing productive going on. You know this is true, so why keep doing it?

If you continue these pointless arguments again, at least for the short-term, when Oscar buzz talk is currently muted and nonexistent, you will see warning points from me.

If you absolutely, positively, have to talk about how Eternals will be nominated, or that Black Panther got nominated for this and that, or that Marvel haters are bitter about this movie getting Oscar buzz, or that the Oscars are out of touch and shouldn't be focused on anyways, just take it to this thread.

Got it? Good. That is all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

According to Kino Metro , which is a Russian "Film Distributor Bulletin" based in Moscow, the upcoming film Eternals runtime is listed as 156 minutes, which is 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Other movies listed on the site, such as Halloween Kills and The Last Duel have accurate runtimes listed ahead of time, so it's likely a safe bet to say that this is an accurate number—though, it's important to note that it isn't final just yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

According to Kino Metro , which is a Russian "Film Distributor Bulletin" based in Moscow, the upcoming film Eternals runtime is listed as 156 minutes, which is 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Other movies listed on the site, such as Halloween Kills and The Last Duel have accurate runtimes listed ahead of time, so it's likely a safe bet to say that this is an accurate number—though, it's important to note that it isn't final just yet.

It's rated R on Russia as well, I guess because gay scenes.

• Like 1