ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

Those who want to know more about this new, mostly unknown director, here's a short interview with her (don't worry about the title, it's in English):

Many are saying The Rider is locked in for a Best Director nomination at this year's oscars, so expect to learn a lot about her in the coming months/year

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

https://variety.com/2018/film/in-contention/oscars-2018-biggest-contenders-so-far-1202834435/

Among others.

Do you stalk these forums looking for things to contradict?

thanks for linking an article where no one says that.

and nope. i've never contradicted anyone in my life.

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

https://variety.com/2018/film/in-contention/oscars-2018-biggest-contenders-so-far-1202834435/

Among others.

Do you stalk these forums looking for things to contradict?

Note: This list only takes into account films that have been or will be released theatrically in the U.S. between Jan. 1 and June 30. Anything that has debuted at a film festival but not seen its commercial release yet is not eligible.)

Now that we're long past June 30, a lot more contenders have pushed Chloe Zhao farther from a nomination.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:24 AM, Valonqar said:

Never bet against Marvel but this looks completely uninteresting, like a cross between Percy Jackson and X Men and without wacky characters that made GOTG stand out.  

On the bright side, they hired a woman to direct a movie that isn't explicitly led by a female and she's Asian although characters aren't specified as such. It's time to give women and minorities to direct variety of movies, not just have them wait for gender/gender or race/race match up. 

I could be totally wrong about this, but I agree. I just don't get the appeal.

Look with Guardians, even I got the appeal of that. I read DnA's comic run, and I thought those were great building blocks for what became the Guardians of the Galaxy film franchise. With Guardians, it was a space opera. So it was like Marvel could do their own Star Wars sort of thing but with fun Marvel characters. I believed in the potential fo Rocket Raccoon and Groot becoming characters the audience could fall in love with. They are like R2D2 and C3PO. They are iconic.

Eternals, I just don't see what the angle is and why these characters are so special. Especially, when you for all intents and purposes have X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Silver Surfer to play around with in the future. I know you'll need other properties, but Eternals sounds so uninspiring. It just seems like another version of Inhuman. Inhumans I think had more potential as a movie anyway, except then it got sent down to TV and basically gutted and taken out like trash.

3 hours ago, DMan7 said:

I don't know why people are doubting this, remember to never doubt the MCU movies, do so at your own risk. Before you know it you all will be highly anticipating the sequel which will be predicted to make close to 1B WW. 

People thought you could never doubt Star Wars and Lucasfilm...and then Solo happened.

8 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

People thought you could never doubt Star Wars and Lucasfilm...and then Solo happened.

Marvel has been releasing 2-3 hits a year for a few years now.. SW has traditionally been more spaced apart and lots of people thought that would be a problem for Solo.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DMan7 said:

I don't know why people are doubting this, remember to never doubt the MCU movies, do so at your own risk. Before you know it you all will be highly anticipating the sequel which will be predicted to make close to 1B WW. 

it's less about doubting boxoffice prospect (it's MCU so it should do business) and more about it looking as dull as a dishwasher and indistinguishable from X Men. I have no desire to see this but I expect good boxoffice. Likewise, I'm not gonna follow quite a few MCU franchises after TA4 but I don't expect their sequels to start dropping. 

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it's less about doubting boxoffice prospect (it's MCU so it should do business) and more about it looking as dull as a dishwasher and indistinguishable from X Men. I have no desire to see this but I expect good boxoffice. Likewise, I'm not gonna follow quite a few MCU franchises after TA4 but I don't expect their sequels to start dropping. 

Is this about like Gods in space? Not sure how that's at all similar to X-Men, especially since the Fox X-Men franchise has been relatively grounded even drab at times.

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Is this about like Gods in space? Not sure how that's at all similar to X-Men, especially since the Fox X-Men franchise has been relatively grounded even drab at times.

Thor is already Gods in space so Eternals are far from novel concept and yet look generic af. What made GOTG stand out were Groot and Rocket and then Gunn brought in 80s mixed tapes and the rest is history. But this is just zzzz. I looked at the images and read character histories and it's so dull and uninspiring. I'm sure they have some idea what to do with it since it's slated for the movie but even this fan of space movies cannot get excited.